cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***4K UHD Wallpaper Competition*** Rules and voting

AkaNe0
Level 10
Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for your participation to the Wallpaper Competition. In the past month we had some very good entries and now it's time to vote.

See all the entries here: http://rog.asus.com/329652014/labels/community/4k-wallpaper-competition-vote-for-your-favorite/

Please find below the rules:

Voting Rules

Public voting period: July 10th 12:01am (GMT +0) and will stop on July 24th 12:01am (GMT +0)

ROG forum members need to have 10 days membership on July 6th to have a maximum of 3 votes. The one under 10 days have the right to vote for only one entry.
ROG forum members have the right to vote one time during the public voting period.
ROG forum members can vote for a maximum of 3 entries.
ROG forum members can vote for the same wallpapers author, but for different wallpaper entry.
ROG forum members can't vote for their own wallpapers.
At the end of the public voting period, ROG staff from ASUS HQ will be chosen the winner from the top 10 entries.

We reserve the right to reject vote that do not meet requirements.

Voting format

Voting order doesn’t make any difference. One vote equal one point.
1 – Author’s name - Post #
2 – Author’s name – Post #
3 – Author’s name – Post #

Please post your vote in this thread.

Prizes

• ASUS PB287Q 4K UHD Monitor for the winner (ROG staff decide from top 10).
  • Maximus VII Gene and a ROG Front Base for the winner (ROG staff decide from top 10). The wallpaper’s author needs to have 30 days membership and 15 posts on ROG forum before July 5th.

Computex Prize

The winners will be chosen by ROG staff at ASUS HQ during the voting period. One game code will be chosen per best wallpaper based around each new product launched.

• ARES III
• Maximus VII Formula
• Maximus VII Impact
• Crossblade Ranger
• GR8
• G20
• GX500
• GK2000
• Gladius
• PG278Q
And don't forget, Keep pushing it !
118 REPLIES 118

Bozzified
Level 7
wow.. this is what ROG team decided on?

I won't even comment on my work, but Knotic was the closest to the amount of details and quality of work to mine. I totally wouldn't mind him winning but this has got to be a joke. And the computex prizes? Flat background with a monitor that took whole 30 mins to do gets a prize? Wow..

Not sure what I expected though.. seeing the previous competition winners.

The whole competition was so disappointing and weird.

Bozzified wrote:

Flat background with a monitor that took whole 30 mins to do gets a prize? Wow..

for computex prizes,
I know, maby ASUS ROG need some the wallpaper which had some clearly looks of its product , that means the elements of the image doesn't make the product biased.

it's just my opinion, depending on what you means about the 'flat background' .
Let's get 32 Gigs of RAM for our brain ! , Be 100% creative 😄

Bozzified wrote:

I won't even comment on my work, but Knotic was the closest to the amount of details and quality of work to mine. I totally wouldn't mind him winning but this has got to be a joke. And the computex prizes? Flat background with a monitor that took whole 30 mins to do gets a prize? Wow..

Not sure what I expected though.. seeing the previous competition winners.

The images were presented to a staff of 30 people without any names or identifiers attached. None of them have read the thread or seen the entries before this date. The selection criteria was clear from the beginning:

Selection criteria: Wallpapers must directly reference the ROG brand, ROG design, any ROG product, or ROG history (we’re 8 years old this year!)

Although it does feature, at no point was there primary focus on the degree of professionalism in design skillsor how long it took. The reasoning for in-house selection of finalists was also clearly stated - it's not the person with the most friends, wins. That's why we picked between the top 10, rather than top 3, for example.

We could have also limited it to a 'best entry' rather than unlimited entries, but we didn't because we wanted you to have more freedom of expression.

Bozz - for the record you mixed Strix and ROG elements, which did not favor it as highly to the selection criteria sorry. There was a small consensus among the room that your entry was too heavy, with too much going on, lacking a strong focus versus other entries. Some definitely did vote for it, but it was out-voted by the winner. I can't remember where it was on the ranking though.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Congrats All ... Well ROG'd.

rench9 .. an as of yet named game/code .. give them time.
As per @AkaNe's instructions PM your email address. .c.

weedartwork
Level 9
I hope it was presented on a 4k screen :rolleyes: 😄

X-ROG
Level 15
Unfortunately Knotic has elected to remove himself from the competition after sending some abusive messages to staff. Surprising and completely out the blue, but there you go. We will look at the votes again and choose another winner.

X-ROG
Level 15
Ha! It's Bozzified who gets the Gene + Front Base.

There was 1 vote in it. 😛

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Unfortunately Knotic has elected to remove himself from the competition after sending some abusive messages to staff. Surprising and completely out the blue, but there you go. We will look at the votes again and choose another winner.

wait... what? Knotic won and was then being abusive to staff???? that seems very odd

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Ha! It's Bozzified who gets the Gene + Front Base.

There was 1 vote in it. 😛

congrats Bozz... I'll take the front base if you dont want it 🙂 lol

congrats to all the winners.

Static_FX wrote:
wait... what? Knotic won and was then being abusive to staff???? that seems very odd

We don't understand it either. It's completely out the blue and it was very rude.

pafflick wrote:
I was talking to him 2 weeks ago, he sent me a PM too. He was generally upset about the voting rules (that even users with 1-day membership can vote). He also mentioned that he's been considering to withdraw from the competition now that the new rules were applied and that he wouldn't even join the contest in the first place, if he knew that before. As far as I don't approve insulting other people (seems ridiculous, since he was picked as a winner), still I kinda understand his disappointment.

Whenever a public voting is allowed there is always some abuse involved. And there is more methods out there, than just creating multiple accounts from different e-mails / IP (for some people changing IP is just as easy as replacing a shoe). You can for example buy votes, exchange with other people (you vote for their entries in other contests, they vote for yours), ask friends to vote (or followers from your social media) etc.

It was always the case. It was never stated otherwise at any time. The fact is we amended the rules becauseof you guys; we REDUCED the new signup voting to just 1 vote instead of 3. It's also the reason why we have staff vote for the overall winner so it's not just the person with the most friends. The entry and assessment guidelines were always made clear from the start.

We run the competition to drive signups and to drive recognition for the brand - we advertise it on our portals worldwide so of the 100,000s of people that see it, some will inevitably join because they really like a work. It's just cynical to assume everyone new is 'cheating' when we've been through to check and there's no evidence of this. People are genuinely joining because they want to express their love for an entry.

I wonder where this post is gone now, but anyway in my opinion this is just not enough. I'm not saying that the voting was some kind of a big fraud, yet still I'm wondering how many users registered here only to leave their vote and probably never come back... 😉

It's still there. 🙂

It seems unfair that only ten entries were eligible to win.

To be honest, number 10 got in with just 4 votes. Hardly overwhelmed with 'fake'/friends/new accounts. Actually we were 'lucky' there was a nice cut-off as there was a long tail of 1/2/3 votes that would have made it difficult to do a cut-off.

The company that I work for is also running this type of competitions (for their facebook fans), but the rules are slightly different. You still have to receive a given number of votes for your entry (that's how you can build an audience for your page), but there is no limitation of entries that gets qualified to the finals, meaning that the jury has more entries to choose from and no one can complain that their entry was taken out by someone with "fake" votes. 🙂

Frankly I don't agree that you can look at 200 entries and decide a winner. Even 30 people could not decide between 10 easily.

An alternative could have been staff votes count for 3/5 versus 1 for fans, but still it is not practical to present 200+ entries to staff here and get them to pick.

And to make things clear - I don't feel aggrieved because of all this, since I received an *enormous* amount of votes for my entry (which is ONE vote, hooray! ;)). I wasn't doing it for the prizes, I mostly wanted to share my work with ROG fans and enthusiasts (I even have a proof that I wanted to submit wallpapers earlier, not for the contest, but was unable to register). But still I agree with the people saying that the voting rules were not too fair. I hope you can work on that for the future contests. 🙂

And congratulations to the winners, especially to you Nico J, since I voted for your winning entry. :cool:

And we are hugely hugely hugely hugely hugely appreciative of the efforts put in by all! If I had more game codes I'd throw more out.

To be honest I was surprised that more people didn't do more around the Computex products - we had ~1/2 entries only covering the three motherboards and only an 'indirect' entry for the GX500 (the winner was high quality but I feel the group would have chosen a more product-centric one had it been done).

An alternative next year would be to do several categories, but unfortunately we've only usually ever got 1 big prize to give away.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:

To be honest I was surprised that more people didn't do more around the Computex products - we had ~1/2 entries only covering the three motherboards and only an 'indirect' entry for the GX500 (the winner was high quality but I feel the group would have chosen a more product-centric one had it been done).

So you noticed my work, I am greatly appreciate it (I wish I had more time to polish it but...aah nvm). Somehow I knew it.
I've seen many high qualty and conceptual wallpapers in this competition, thou didn't voted, and that's a good challenge for me.
Also I would like to say a huge thanks to all ROG staff, and for all their hard work (pretty sad that so many people are cheating/complainig/moaning/scamming or trying to) and you have to deal with all these. But I'm sure you can find a way to bring next events/comps up to a higher standard.
p.s. btw how soon this comp wallpapers will be available for download? (like a link to whole pack in download section or kinda), cause the idea of downloading all af them manually one by one dejects me a lot.
AMAT VICTORIA CURAM