cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% CPU usage on the forums

JHR1979
Level 7
Just noticed that when i'm browsing the forums my CPU usage goes to 100%. Happens on Edge, IE, Firefox.
39 REPLIES 39

Hopper64
Level 15
Just surfing the web and was surfing the ROG forum. Noticed my CPU fans running very high. CPU temps went to 60C. Noticed CPU use was 100% for Microsoft edge in task manager. Went to anandtech and several other sites and CPU use declined to normal immediately.

Rebooted and came back to the ROG forums and no wierd increase in cpu use noted but the browser had difficulty loading the webpage. Anyone else?
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Forums currently have a javascript bitcoin miner injected. Best bet is to run a plugin that can block javascript from untrusted websites.

Asmoranomar wrote:
Forums currently have a javascript bitcoin miner injected.

wat?
how do you tell?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Following quite a bit of new stories on javascript exploits on bitcoin miners on various websites with known entities doing so.

The current one on this website is from coinhive.com, which is well known in the past few days.

The javascript code is also very familar and can be caught in a simple honeypot if you have one configured.

...or you could just block the domain and magically watch your CPU go from 100% to 0%.

I did wonder if its a bit coin miner. :eek:

Hopper64
Level 15
So this is not malware or a virus on my machine then?
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

xeromist
Ah, looks like uBlock has blocked Coinhive on this page. So yeah it seems like Asmoranomar is correct.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I've already sent an admin a message a while back, but I don't know if it was the right one. If anyone knows how to get in touch with someone please keep sending those messages.

eviqine
Level 7
high usage cpu when i come in this forum what happen????????????????

haihane
Level 13
you've got the xeromist paying attention. i believe he'll contact masterc@asus shortly.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.