cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% CPU usage on the forums

JHR1979
Level 7
Just noticed that when i'm browsing the forums my CPU usage goes to 100%. Happens on Edge, IE, Firefox.
39 REPLIES 39

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, our team is looking into this as we speak. At this point in time, we do not experience this issue, is anyone still having a problem?

Using Chrome 64bit

31.10.2017 12.47.07;Download blocked;https://coinhive.com/lib/coinhive.min.js;HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic;https://coinhive.com/lib/coinhiv... Chrome;Trojan program;10/31/2017 12:47:07
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
I9 10920 @5.0GHz all cores
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PLUS NVMe 2TB
Kingston Fury Renegade 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
1 X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
2 x 10TB drives
1 x 2TB drive
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24GB @3015 MHz
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3466MHz 15-17-17-37
Corsair AX1200W PSU
Sound Denon AVC-A1
LGC1 77

Hopper64
Level 15
I’m on an iPad right now. Don’t trust the site until given an all clear. Had to wipe my machine’s HD. I’m scanning my other machines too.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Korth
Level 14
Not getting the coinhive redirects here anymore.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nate152

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
The issue has been resolved, and we have taken all necessary precautions to make sure it won't happen again. Sorry for that everybody!

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
The issue has been resolved, and we have taken all necessary precautions to make sure it won't happen again. Sorry for that everybody!

i'm just curious,
is this the work of an inside job?1 if yes, i believe that person should be sacked without severance pay. maybe perhaps getting his name blacklisted to make an example for everybody else.

i'm a strong believer of game-theory2. i don't believe intentional defection for his own self benefit shouldn't go unpunished, as failure to do such is just trouble waiting to happen in the near future.

but if the site is hijacked from da outside,.... we forgive you MasterC@ASUS. 😛

1 the person who works for asus and having greed get better of himself,
2 to some extent, prisoner's dilemma.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

JHR1979
Level 7
Installed Malwarebytes anti-malware earlier today, and just now as i came to the forums again, i got a notification that outgoing connection was blocked to coinhive.com.

so is the site still infected?

Nate152
No it's not infected anymore, cpu usage is back to normal when logging onto the forum.

This javascript infiltration, used for mining Bitcoins, was in the news recently...
They mentioned Pirate Bay was secretly doing it at their site and apologized.
I know nothing about this stuff.
As I said Interesting, very Interesting...
Maybe that is why Firefox stopped supporting Javascript in their updates...
Had to install Firefox ESR to make use of some of my Managed Switch settings, only for Lan though...

Going to search for a good tool to look for it on my computers..
Good to know they fixed it up at the ROG Forum...

Korth
Level 14
Distributed coin mining is all the latest rage. The usual deal is that the hosting site gets a percentage, but there's bound to be plenty of unethical hackers.

Distributed torrent trackers seem like the next logical step, lol, much harder to shut down a network that's decentralized and self-repairing.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]