cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% CPU usage on the forums

JHR1979
Level 7
Just noticed that when i'm browsing the forums my CPU usage goes to 100%. Happens on Edge, IE, Firefox.
39 REPLIES 39

Nate152
Hi JHR1979

I thought it was just me and it's doing the same here, as soon as I log onto the forum the cpu usage goes to 100%. It's the same with Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

I was just about to reinstall windows until I saw your post. I'm not sure what's going on, I suspect malware or some kind of infection.

Is this happening with anyone else ?

Korth
Level 14
I've been getting malware trojan/redirect warnings (from Ghostery, Avast, and F-Secure) on this site over the last two days.

Do you still see high CPU usage on other sites?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I've been getting malware trojan/redirect warnings (from Ghostery, Avast, and F-Secure) on this site over the last two days.

Do you still see high CPU usage on other sites?

I was just going to say the same thing at work i dont get warning and cpu usage is 100 now at home i get warnign from my antivirus but my cpu dont rise at all its at idle

jab383
Level 13
Not seeing any such here. Usage in Task Manager is barely idling. No malware notifications.

Win 7 64-bit, Firefox, Kaspersky

JHR1979
Level 7
Got three Win10 Computers at hand now..

W10 pro 64bit, laptop, intel i7, build 1703, Windows built-in antivirus, and the cpu usage goes to 100% on all browsers.
W10 pro 64bit, laptop, intel i7, build 1709, Windows built-in antivirus, same thing.
W10 pro 64bit, desktop, amd threadripper, build 1709, Windows built-in antivirus, Edge tries to load the forum page, but after a while says that there was a problem, try again later.

Fletcher
Level 7
Avast is picking up " aborted connection on coinhive.com because it was infected with JS:Miner-C...*

KSMerg
Level 10

Was just redirected to this thread.*

So this is not malware or a virus on my machine?*
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

As far as I'm aware it's all done in javascript. The problem is that it uses your computer's resources and power to do perform the calculations and someone else gets rewarded for your efforts. This can be done intentionally, by websites adding it on their pages side-by-side with ads or replacing ads completely; Or unintentionally by hackers finding exploits in code and injecting the javascript onto websites and having other websites host the code and provide the user base to generate the traffic needed to generate money.