cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.5 year rig upgrade.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Ok, so rig is one and a half years old now and has had numerous tweak's ( good and bad ) but I now feel the need to give it a boost.
Funds do not allow for new upgrades yet,64751 so initially I have a few areas where I think a big difference can be made,
my i7 6700k I have for a very short period had at 4.7 air cooled but temps too high so running now at 4.3 ( temps high in realbench but not in game) , so I am looking at water cooling, I feel with the right cooler I could go further than 4.7 with the cpu ( silicone lottery winner?) but I am not sure weather to go for nzxt kraken, ekwb 360 or a custom loop and include the gpu.
I have 2 x 8mb gskill trident Z ddr4 3400, this I have been able to run at 3600 when I had cpu at 4.7 but now I can only get it to 3200 so I think with the right settings this again could run higher. (I have another matched set of same mem sat in box since new as cant run them together, moment of madness purchase error)
never tried to oc gpu (not really felt the need to) .
Also De Lidding the cpu is very appealing especially with the right cooling unit.
had a lot of help in the past from Nate/Chino its reassuring to see your still around guys.
I would welcome any comments or suggestions so thanks in advance
Rob.
ps probably 12 months before full upgrade.:(
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
That looks good Rob, your temps are great.

Try raising the Vcore a little more for 4.7GHz.

Rob_W_
Level 12
terrific!! @nate152 how about this?
now to work on that ddr4

Edit:
change of plan,, going to do a bit of gaming for a while and see how rig behaves,
did stress ok for 15 minutes but forgot to take screen shot.
scores seem a little low to what it was at 4.6Ghz but at 4.7GHz temps look good?
a big thanks for the help so far Nate.