cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 HERO has two problems to be solved

zcat777
Level 7
1. USB3.2 Gen 2*2Type-C When the device is inserted, it will be powered off once for recognition

2. When using 4NVME+4SATA to build two RAID, it can't automatically boot into windows, and 1 5 10 can't, but sata can automatically boot when using four 500G SSDs, but the self-inspection screen identifies that the hard disk is chaotic and blank, and the use of four 2T SATA can't boot, which is the case with MX500 and 870EVO~

Fault 2 should involve the whole series of Z690 and Z790 motherboards~

16 REPLIES 16

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, zcat777.

For issue 1:
May I ask if you have done a cross-test with another device, cable, or port to confirm which might be the problem?
Does it only occur when using USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 to type-C?
Would it also happen when the device is directly installed in the port?
Could you share the brand and model of the device that will be connected via USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 to type-C?

For issue 2:
Please refer to pages 1–13 of the English user manual to check the SATA ports.
If possible, please help confirm which port the MX500 and 870EVO are connected to.
Meanwhile, it is recommended that you refer to the following link first for troubleshooting any problems you might have.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044083/

Thank you.
Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, zcat777.

Question 1, there is a problem only when using USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 to type-C, regardless of the device, all users using USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 to type-C will have this problem

Question 2, this problem began to appear in the STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 2004 BIOS, 1720 and previous BIOS no problem, the SATA interface used is 0, 1, 2, 3, and have also been fed back to the Chinese after-sales technical team before, and they also confirmed this problem after testing~ And the Z790 whole series have this problem, tried Z790-E and Z790HERO have this problem, it should be a BIOS problem ~

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, zcat777.

For issue 1:
Please help to confirm the brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, GPU, PSU currently installed,
and especially the device which connected via USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 to type-C.

For issue 2:
The user manual also states that RAID configuration and boot devices are not supported on the SATA6G_E1-2 ports.
Please provide a link or a screenshot of the feedback from the Chinese after-sales technical team you mentioned.

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, zcat777.

For issue 1:
Please help to confirm the brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, GPU, PSU currently installed,

For issue 2:
The user manual also states that RAID configuration and boot devices are not supported on the SATA6G_E1-2 ports.
Please provide a link or a screenshot of the feedback from the Chinese after-sales technical team you mentioned.

Thank you.

Problem 1, 13700K GTX1080, D5 16*2, ROG-strix1000G, all devices plugged into this device have this problem, all brands all devices plugged into this USB 3.2 interface have this problem~
This I gathered feedback on the same issue below the China forum~
https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2444725

Question 2, I understand very well, do not use the two ports SATA6G_E1-2~
The following three are demos of the reproduction of the issue, starting with the Z690 2004BIOS and continuing the problem to this day
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1KW4y1e78v
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Vd4y1i7M5
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV12e4y1i7Sz
These videos have also been seen by China ASUS after-sales, and their reply is: "The problem about your feedback has been received, and the follow-up will continue to improve and optimize for this problem, thank you for your valuable suggestions, thank you for your support of ASUS products, thank you!"

This is the same problem that was reflected before, but no one seems to have bothered.... I now have to press F8 to manually boot every day I restart my computer to boot...
THIS PROBLEM SHOULD ONLY EXIST ABOVE 2TSATA, ABOVE 4*2T, REDUCING ANY NVME OR ANY SATA CAN BOOT INTO WINDOWS NORMALLY

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131460-There-is-a-serious-problem-with-the-INTEL-raid

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, zcat777.

For issue 1:

For issue 2:

Thank you.

Fault appendage details:
Using four SATA 500G for RAID test can automatically boot into WINDOWS normally, but the hard disk device display on the self-inspection interface will not show the hard disk device

However, using four 2TB hard disks (I have tried the 2TB of the MX500 and the 2TB of the Samsung 870EVO) will not be able to automatically boot, because there are no 500G and 1TB NVME hard disks in hand, so I cannot try 4 * 500GB or 1TB NVME+4 * 2TB SATA to see whether the failure will recur

Please use 4 * 2TB NVME+4 * 2TB SATA to distinguish two RAID disks for testing, and then the fault will reappear 100%, because I am not sure whether the problem also exists on 1TB hard disk~So no matter NVME and SATA, please do not use 1TB or smaller hard disk for testing

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, zcat777.

For issue 2:
According to the February 26 response, the starting disk, the Samsung 970 Pro, has been identified as a non-RAID disk under BIOS/RAID settings, and the matching hard disk is shown as being "under RAID Controller" during bootup.
Therefore, the relevant team assumed that your RAID was damaged as a result.
To determine if the RAID issue may be fixed, it is advised to attempt a re-build in the BIOS or in the RAID software within the OS.

If you have followed the recommendation and it still doesn’t work, please provide relevant images of VMD settings, RAID configuration, and startup settings for us to better understand the scenario.

Meanwhile, please cross-test with other memory in the QVL list.

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, zcat777.

For issue 2:
According to the February 26 response, the starting disk, the Samsung 970 Pro, has been identified as a non-RAID disk under BIOS/RAID settings, and the matching hard disk is shown as being "under RAID Controller" during bootup.
Therefore, the relevant team assumed that your RAID was damaged as a result.
To determine if the RAID issue may be fixed, it is advised to attempt a re-build in the BIOS or in the RAID software within the OS.

If you have followed the recommendation and it still doesn’t work, please provide relevant images of VMD settings, RAID configuration, and startup settings for us to better understand the scenario.

Meanwhile, please cross-test with other memory in the QVL list.
Thank you.

As already demonstrated in these three videos, all of them are removing the RAID and reassembling the RAID and installing a new windows

Here I want to emphasize that there is no problem with the BIOS before the 1720 version in the Z690, and the BIOS after the 2004 version update also has this problem, even if you change to the other Z690 motherboards before the 1720 version, the system function is normal.