cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Apex broken?

yaa11
Level 7
So I just received my z790 apex and changed it for my MSI z790i Edge.

After 2 hours of hard work I press the boot button and my PSU clicks endlessly and the pc obviously doesn’t boot. Debug LED showing 00.

So without the gpu connected it goes to POST (probably, don’t have video to verify) and the debug LED starts working and the fans start spinning fast.

With gpu, same psu click.

But:

whenever I press “clear cmos button” I can boot for exactly one time. I can restart within windows and it will boot again. Only when I full shutdown, it won’t turn back on (and psu clicks) unless I clear cmos again…

I will try flashing bios now but I suspect there is something broken on the board as the exact same hardware (with the Mail z790) was working without issue.

7800 gskill
Sfx 1000w thermaltake *
14 REPLIES 14

Hitman_Actual
Level 7
Just built my setup withe Z790 Apex. Zero issues so far right out of the box. Great MB so far. AI over clocking working as advertised.
ROG Z790-APEX : 13900KF (RTX4080) / EVGA Z370-FTW: 9900KF (RTX3080)
YouTube
RigPics

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello, the point made regarding the extra standoff and overload protection is a valid one.

Ensure the motherboard is correctly installed and not making contact with any additional stand-offs. If necessary retest with the system outside of the case. Also, ensure all PSU cables and extensions are correctly installed/inserted.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

ATrueNewbie
Level 9

I have the exact same problem with my Strix Z790i.. Any change in the bios that needs a "save and reset" will end up in a complete shutdown and the entire system being unable to even boot "click sound" until I clear the CMOS. If I don't do any bios changes then the PC runs fine! I have a feeling its a corrupt bios or something, since even after updating the bios the problem is still there. After updating the BIOS I still had to clear cmos for me to be able to post it lol. it didn't let me install windows saying "Your system does not meet Win11 requirements" when I clearly have PTT and UEFI boot enabled.. 

Specs:

13700k, 7200cl34 G.Skill "QVL picked", EK Nucleus 240, 4090 Strix OC, Sfx 1000w Thermaltake power supply!!! 

Now I have realized that we both have the same power supply.. But I hardly think its a PSU problem since I had a gaming session of about 2hrs just to check if everything is running fine on default BIOS settings. Also restarting from windows is okay, but restarting after a bios change will always cause a complete shutdown.

Have you figured out what is causing the issue?

ATrueNewbie
Level 9

Would love to hear if you have figured this out or not please. I'm still looking for solutions as I am unsure of where the problem is originally stemming from! 

hey Guys , just for the hell of it. Check you CMOS battery voltage levels.  I'm wondering if a weak battery not allowing a clean bios update.

Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory