cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Maximus Extreme q-latch doesn’t lock

Shamma
Level 7
Hi there. *I’m trying to install some m.2 ssd’ in the m.2-2 and m.2-3 slots and the q-latch won’t lock into place. *It’s stopping where the white piece that looks to go over the pcb hits the pcb instead of sliding over it. *I’ve tried a 960 pro, 980 pro, and a wd sn850. *The m.2-1 slot works fine on all of them but the connector is grey and seems different. *Have any of you seen or heard of this issue?
8 REPLIES 8

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Shamma,
Do you remove the plastic film from the thermal pad when you install m.2 ssd in the m.2_2 and m.2_3 slots?
Please refer to page 2-11 and 2-12 in our manual.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_MAXIMUS_Z690_EXTREME/E18923_ROG_MAXIMUS_Z690_EXTRE...
Thank you.

Shamma
Level 7
Yes I did. It also won’t lock without the thermal pad.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Shamma,
May I have a video about how you install the q-latch?
Thank you.

Shamma
Level 7
Well you don’t install the a latch, it’s already there. *I’m not tearing things apart to give you a video. *The latch doesn’t turn all the way to fully latch, period.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Shamma,
I'm sorry I meant how you turn the latch when you install the SSD.
If you have any concerns about the q-latch, please send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination.
Or please consult the retailer first if you bought it recently.
Thank you.

mcurtis5484
Level 7

Did you ever find a solution to the q-latch not working? I am having similar problems with an Asus Z790 ProArt Creator WiFi motherboard. Thanks…Mark

mcurtis5484
Level 7

I am having similar issues with an ASUS Z790 ProArt Creators WiFi motherboard. Did you ever resolve your issues?

@mcurtis5484 You could try moving the m.2 to a different slot to see if that works any better. It might also be an issue of the drive not being inserted far enough into the slot. Make sure most of the gold contacts are covered by the slot. If the latch itself is just broken or failing then you may need to exchange the motherboard with your retailer.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…