cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Hero 12900KS Freeze

dejan_
Level 7
Hello!

I have been battleing with random freezes in Windows since May and i cannot figure this one out. The screen freezes and nothing happens untill i manually shut the PC down. Im running latest BIOS, tried both drivers from Armory create and from the product page. I have experienced a couple times (under 10 times in total) that my USB ports stop working, after reboot theese seem fine.
I tried different RAM, new GPU, different harddrive

XMP II, tried clocking down to 5200mhz on current RAM

My specs are
Win 11 (reinstalled yesterday)
12900KS
Z690 Hero
32GB 2x16GB 6000mhz Trident Z
RTX 4090 TUF
Firecuda 530
1600W EVGA PSU

I used to have a Riser cable with my 3080, now with the 4090 im running it directly into the mobo

Any thougts?
8 REPLIES 8

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Can you confirm if the freezing occurs with the system at Optimised Defaults (No XMP)?

5200MT/s is still an overclock. Use Karhu Ramtest to test stability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

dejan_
Level 7
I tried to put ram sticks at 4800mhz and even tried Corsair RAM @ 5200mhz
Same thing. Ive been trying to swap components and doing various updates since May 2022
Something is wrong with some of the boards. Not only asus, forums are full of issues like mine
Ran memtest no issues
Ran testmem5 for an hour no issues, after that i sent a few mails and there it was frozen again

dejan_
Level 7
forgot to mention, yes i tried non XMP with both sets of RAM, in all the slots

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Check the GPU is fully inserted correctly into the PCIE socket as well as the power cables & adapter.

Try flashing the GPU to the latest VBIOS from the support page.

Ensure you’re using the latest driver (526.47).
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

dejan_
Level 7
Its fully inserted, have both used it directly into the pcie socket and via a riser cable same results
tryed forcing gpu to run gen 4 instead of auto
power cables are checked
latest bios on gpu and latest nvidia drivers
tried both my strix 3080 and tuf 4090

The issue is hard to reproduce, it doesnt happen often anymore but its still there. Last night I did some tests and all the stresstest on cpu and memory resultet in a single freeze
and that didnt happen when i was stresstesting, it happend when I sent a couple of mails

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi dejan_,
How often the freezing issue occurs?
When the USB ports stop working, ware all of USB ports stop working or the particular ports or devices?
Could you please clear cmos and see if the issue still occurs on bios 2103 with bios all default settings(no OC/No XMP)?
Thank you.

dejan_
Level 7
Freezes were happening 1-2 times a day when using the machine for a full day
When USB ports stopped working, it seemed some worked and some stopped, i still get Power to the devices
Cmos cleared and latest bios with no oc and no xmp

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi dejan_,
Please see if the USB issue occurs with the particular ports or devices.
For the freezing issue, please send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination and describe the issue and occurrence frequency in detail when send RMA.
Thank you.