cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Formula PCH/Chipset Temperatures

EconomyFishFing
Level 7
Good afternoon everyone,

I was just wanting some advice with my Z690 Formula motherboard.

I am experiencing very high chipset temperatures at idle/load ranging between 82-90C

I dont think this is normal, and if not how would I best tackle this? How would I access the chipset itself to perhaps try to repaste the chip or assess the state of the thermal pads if any? I dont want to accidentally damage the board but these temperatures are a little concerning to me.

regards
12 REPLIES 12

Mangonz
Level 9
On Z690 Extreme Glacial chipset temp is normally around 48C-53C, the waterblock extends to the chipset though, which it doesn't look like it does on the Formula. I can only imagine it's an inferno with passive cooling.

As far as I can see there are not thermal pads either judging by these photos:
https://www.gadgetpilipinas.net/2021/10/asus-rog-maximus-z690-formula-motherboard-unboxing-overview/

Also just checking you don't have anything like a video card in the 3rd PCIe (PCH driven) slot?

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Z690 Strix-A D4 here.
Usually there are 4 screws holding the passive pch cooler in place. You know on cheap boards and such.

After the Strix-A got finished clearly the marketing department got hold of it and made some very bad design descisions that left my pch with only 2 screws and a heat trapping plastic cover on over 60% of the passive cooler.

So i removed all the needless plastic that clearly has been put there as an afterthought since without it all the clearence issues with big noctua coolers are gone in an instant.
I believe they even cut the aluminium coolers weight to make place for a stupid white ... cable binder?

Then I switched the 2 mm cheapo pad that already sweated out most of its silicone anyways with 1mm 14 kw/h pad and a glug of thermal paste.
The cooler itself has two silver mounting spacer/holes. Those i tightened against the cooler itself. I got a 160 degree
trun on both out of it. Makes the cooler stay closer to the pch.
And i screwed very very tight the 2 measly screws that hold my pch cooler in place.

My record temps from my pch have been 91c with all m.2 slots populated after copying only 220 gig with one transfer.

Now i can try whatever i want i never see 70c. No matter the bios ASPM options or how many copy tasks i run in paralell.

In your case just get to the backside of the board and screw tight the screws they left on your pch.

Cool board. Excellent technicians. Brilliant ideas. Cool Bios support. Good support staff.
But baaad descision making due to marketing having too much say in the final product.

Thank you marketing guy who has more power over finalisation that he should ever have.

Spartanjet
Level 7
EconomyFishFinger wrote:
Good afternoon everyone,

I was just wanting some advice with my Z690 Formula motherboard.

I am experiencing very high chipset temperatures at idle/load ranging between 82-90C

I dont think this is normal, and if not how would I best tackle this? How would I access the chipset itself to perhaps try to repaste the chip or assess the state of the thermal pads if any? I dont want to accidentally damage the board but these temperatures are a little concerning to me.

regards

Similar boat here see https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127128-Z690-Formula-PCH-hitting-90-92C-should-I-worry

I have 3 Firecuda 530's and a Strix 3080 OC which I'm sure contribute to the problem. I have upgraded my case to a 011 XL with a EKWB Vertical GPU Mount. I'm hoping that moving the GPU will reduce the temps a bit.

I really don't want to mess with the tiny easily strippable screws to mess with the PCH which on top of the most easily strippable screws known to man they also appear to have Loctite on them as well.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi EconomyFishFinger and Spartanjet,
How do you check pch/chipset temperatures? How about the room temperature?
If you just booting windows and don't run any programs, is it ranging between 82-90C?
Is it still ranging between 82-90C even if put it at idle about 10 mins?
Did it occur on bios 0811 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
If you just booting windows and don't run any programs, is it ranging between 82-90C?
Thank you.

Hello STARRAIN@ROG,

I am using HWinfo64 or AIDA64 to monitor PCH temps in Windows. I also configured the LiveDash to display PCH Temps. When just booting the computer for the first time in a while it will start in the high 40's then go up to 70-75 doing nothing but using a web browser or checking email. When I game (or something taxing like benchmarks) it will go to 82-90C. After gaming and idling for ~10 min or so it will go back into the 70's. I am using BIOS 0811 and all default settings other than setting XMP memory profile and I enforce Power limits. (Running Corsair 5200 38). I do get occasional back plate USB2.0 disconnects when the PCH temps reach 90C or higher.

I have 3 Firecuda 530 M.2's plugged into the motherboard and a Strix 3080 OC running stock clocks.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Thank you.

Hi there,

I have checked the PCH temperatures both in the bios settings and using HWinfo.

Just booting into windows gave me these high idle temperatures. Its pretty cold in the uk so my room temperature is anywhere between 18C -20C depending on the time of day.

These temperatures persisted across multiple bios flashes including 815 from shamino.

Unfortunately I have had faulty RAM and cvannot use my motherboard at the moment but I have used this opportunity to remove the motherboard back plate and have a closer look: The black thermal pad was attached correctly to the PCH chip, although the cooler is terrible, its just a single rectangular block of aluminium alloy with almost zero air flow?

Untill my RAM arrives I have replaced the stock thermal pad (which concerningly looked to make good contact) with two squares of thermal pad with thermal grizzly paste on the block, chip and between the two thinner thermal pads. I really hope this helps, but based on the really bad design on the PCH heatsink im not so confident.. Even if the block had some fins and a removable panel to at least let some air in, or allow a small circulation fan, but its just smothered in the LED display atop of the block with no way for heat to be removed.

For the record both m.2 slots are populated, an RTX 3090 is in the PCI-e slot 1 and the third slot has the m.2 hyper card installed.

regards

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Thank you for your reply.
May I have photos about your PC build?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Thank you.

Hi, apologies it was bios811 not 815!

Here are some photographs of my setup: Most things are custom water cooled inc, GPU and CPU on a nexxxos 1080mm and a 360mm radiator.

There is very good air flow within my case which is a pretty large Thermaltake Core x9

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Thank you.

Hi sure. I was just about to take it apart and put in new case but I took a quick pic and I have a HWinfo64 screen shot showing about 2 hours of gaming and 30 min idle temps of my system for reference

Hope this is helpful.