cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Formula - Constant loss of ethernet on load.

axiumone
Level 11
Strange issue here that I don't even know how to troubleshoot. Whenever the ethernet gets loaded past 20 mb/s, theres a high probability that it will disconnect from the internet. I didn't think it was the motherboard at first, but now it seems like it's the only culprit.

Steps tried:
- Variety of different ethernet cables
- Replaced router with asus ax88u
- Tried marvell 3.1.3 and 3.1.6 drivers

After the ethernet adapter says it's not connected to the internet, the only thing that seems to work is funnily enough the built in MS tool that resets the ethernet adapter, after that the connection is back to normal, until the adapter is loaded again.
106 REPLIES 106

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi jacob650,
Thank you for your reply.
Do you mean it shows no internet if you see the connected internet logo an click on a website immediately?
For loss of 10Gb ethernet issue, does it occur when download the specific files through the specific apps?
Does the issue occurs every time when the ethernet gets loaded past 20 mb/s? or what is the probability of the issue occurring?
Do use have the issue since first build? or it was working fine at first but the issue occurred after use for a while or after some specific operation?
May I double confirm the ethernet issues also occur with bios all default settings and happen every time you turn on the pc and the ethernet gets loaded?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of your motherboard via PM
- the brand and model name of your RAM and PSU
(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as F5-5600U3636C16GX2-TZ5RK.)
Thank you.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi eraserking and axiumone,
For loss of ethernet on load issue, our tech team have tested the motherboards and the devices at hand, but I'm afraid they cannot reproduce the issue.
Our tech team have tested:
1. using 1G internet to download games in Microsoft store
2. using another PC to transfer a 100Gb files through the router and the average speed is 500MB/s

If the issue occurs with bios all default settings, where do you download games in or make the ethernet gets loaded past 20 mb/s?
Does the issue occurs every time when the ethernet gets loaded past 20 mb/s or 100MB/s? or what is the probability of the issue occurring?
Do use have the issue since first build? or it was working fine at first but the issue occurred after use for a while or after some specific operation?
Thank you so much.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi eraserking and axiumone,
For loss of ethernet on load issue, our tech team have tested the motherboards and the devices at hand, but I'm afraid they cannot reproduce the issue.
Our tech team have tested:
1. using 1G internet to download games in Microsoft store
2. using another PC to transfer a 100Gb files through the router and the average speed is 500MB/s

If the issue occurs with bios all default settings, where do you download games in or make the ethernet gets loaded past 20 mb/s?
Does the issue occurs every time when the ethernet gets loaded past 20 mb/s or 100MB/s? or what is the probability of the issue occurring?
Thank you so much.

Thanks for looking into this STARRAIN@ROG. It has been crashing less frequently recently, but I've also been downloading less. I would say try to load up connection with some torrents as well, as that seems to be a more consistent way to invoke the issue. Something like 10-15 linux distro torrents to really hammer it, plus download a steam or ms store game and a youtube video. I don't think that it's a use case too far outside of normal for some users.

Link to linux distro torrents (all legal) https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=bittorrent

If the techs are not able to replicate the issue, what are the next steps? Clearly it's an issue that affects some users, as evidenced by this thread and it's inconvenient.

Edit - Just to make sure that the directions were good. I loaded a some torrents up and was able to reproduce the issue after about 30 minutes. My connection fails over to WIFI when the wired ethernet connection fails. The cable is connected in all of the screenshots, but you can see that it's not detected as having an internet connect. The router didn't fail, as wifi continues downloading.

Hello,

I just wanted to chime into the discussion as well. I too have had this problem with two z690 formula boards so far, the first one was by far the worst offender in this regard. It would do it on any mild download and I would not have any internet connection unless I troubleshooted using windows. I thought that maybe this was a defect with the board and ordered the second one and returned the first.

The second board does it a lot less frequently but I can replicate the issue if I put it under heavy load with a large download from steam (i,e metro exodus enhanced edition, gta 5 etc) and then say go and watch a YouTube video while the game is downloading, this increases the likelihood of the problem occurring.

I never had this issue on my previous build which operated fine for 2 years which had a :
z390 maximus hero xi motherboard
9900k processor
32gb of corsair dominator ram 4x8
evga g2 1300w psu
strix 3090 OC Gpu

Only once getting the z690 formula board have I started to have this specific issue. This is definitely an issue on this motherboard model and the other users are right to point it out.

I have reached out to Asus regarding the matter over a week ago but they have not responded back or followed up with me regarding the issue which has prompted me to post about it here.

I have updated to the latest bios and have the latest drivers for windows 10 from the formula z690 support page too.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi axiumone,
Do you have the issue since first build?
Do you have the issue every time you download 10-15 linux distro torrents?
I'll forward the use case to our tech team to check it again.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi axiumone,
Do you have the issue every time you download 10-15 linux distro torrents?
I'll forward the use case to our tech team to check it again.
Thank you.

Yes, from day one.

The issue is sporaddic. It can happen at any moment.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Unstable_overclock,
Does the issue occur every time you download metro exodus enhanced edition or gta 5 from steam and watch a YouTube video at the same time? or what is the probability of the issue occurring?
Thank you.

Hi axiumone,
May I have the probability of the issue occurring?
For example, if you download 10-15 linux distro torrents, the issue occurs at lease once within the downloading procedure? or once in 5 downloading times?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Unstable_overclock,
Does the issue occur every time you download metro exodus enhanced edition or gta 5 from steam and watch a YouTube video at the same time? or what is the probability of the issue occurring?
Thank you.

Hello,
No the issue is very random on the second formula board I have. The first board I had, yes any large download could potentially trigger the issue.
The second board operates much better, however, it potentially can happen if I continuously throw a heavy load on the ethernet and then end up doing
other web activities like YouTube. It isn't specifically those games and those activities that can cause it but the likelihood of it happening increases.
Simply using the system I get no issues.

Yes I have had the issue since building and then rebuilding the system twice with the formula motherboard. Two separate formula boards.
My advice to the tech teams is this might be harder to replicate depending on each individual board but it does happen, from my experience of having two of these boards some of them can easily replicate the issue more than others.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Unstable_overclock,
Thank you.

Hi axiumone,
May I have the probability of the issue occurring?
For example, if you download 10-15 linux distro torrents, the issue occurs at lease once within the downloading procedure? or once in 5 downloading times?
Thank you.

Sporadic. It could happen every 5 minutes or a couple of hours.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Unstable_overclock and axiumone,
I'll consult our tech team again.