cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Formula - Constant loss of ethernet on load.

axiumone
Level 11
Strange issue here that I don't even know how to troubleshoot. Whenever the ethernet gets loaded past 20 mb/s, theres a high probability that it will disconnect from the internet. I didn't think it was the motherboard at first, but now it seems like it's the only culprit.

Steps tried:
- Variety of different ethernet cables
- Replaced router with asus ax88u
- Tried marvell 3.1.3 and 3.1.6 drivers

After the ethernet adapter says it's not connected to the internet, the only thing that seems to work is funnily enough the built in MS tool that resets the ethernet adapter, after that the connection is back to normal, until the adapter is loaded again.
106 REPLIES 106

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi axiumone,
Could you please help to check pm?
Thank you.

philsrb
Level 7
Hello everybody,

After a year of fiddling around with rhis i decided to add some tothis thread. I am *the unhappy owner of maximus z690 hero with the intel nic.*
The issue is ALSO present on my board. The board was rma'd and i tot it back without any repairs or replacements after having to wait for like 2 months.*
I am not a noob but rather a hardcore enthusiast. My machine is state of the art and i do invest lots of time in building rigs. Have tested everything. From plethoras of settings to resocketing etc. it is a hw issue. If you watch carefully, the nic will completely drop whenever you have load on thepcie bus as in gpu workload for example. It also happens with cinebench but a little less frequently. In hwinro you will in 8-10 cases, suddenly see whea pcie errors and then it drops out. Have also tried with stock settings, no oc etc.
This has truly been frustrating. I basically have a trash mobo costing 680€ ... the mobo is full of funny bugs, stuff like inconsistent voltsges etc when oc.
It basically really is a scam product that asus has been selling us. I have had the whole lineup of rog bosrds, strix gpus, and this is frankly ****.
Anyone find a solution yet?*

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi philsrb,
I'm afraid this thread is discussion of 10Gb Ethernet.
Looks like your issue is with 2.5Gb Ethernet. Please post a new thread for you issue.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi philsrb,
I'm afraid this thread is discussion of 10Gb Ethernet.
Looks like your issue is with 2.5Gb Ethernet. Please post a new thread for you issue.
Thank you.

Hello Starrain,

Thank you for your assistance.

Just to chime in on this issue, I've gone through 14 BIOS updates (sequentially as an early adopter) on the Z690 Maximus Extreme platform. And I've had the same issue on the original bios and the latest, whenever I stress the 10Gbit Network adapter by downloading a game it'll peak to around 112.8 MB/s then slow down and disconnect completely. This is on the 3.1.7.0 (latest) driver from Marvell, the issue has persisted since day one even from the original 10Gbit driver.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi avp8tails,
Does it also occurs with Marvell Ethernet connection Driver V3.1.3.0 from our support site? How often does the issue occurs?
Please try the following steps:
1. use Marvell Ethernet connection Driver V3.0.19.0 from our support site to see if the slowing down and disconnecting issue still occurs.
2. disable "Recv Segment Coalescing (IPv4) and (IPv6 if needed)" in LAN adapter properties
3. if there are options like Energy-Efficient Ethernet, Power Saving Mode in device manager > network adapters(Marvell) > properties > advanced, please disable them to see if the issue persists.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi avp8tails,
Does it also occurs with Marvell Ethernet connection Driver V3.1.3.0 from our support site? How often does the issue occurs?
Please try the following steps:
1. use Marvell Ethernet connection Driver V3.0.19.0 from our support site to see if the slowing down and disconnecting issue still occurs.
2. disable "Recv Segment Coalescing (IPv4) and (IPv6 if needed)" in LAN adapter properties
3. if there are options like Energy-Efficient Ethernet, Power Saving Mode in device manager > network adapters(Marvell) > properties > advanced, please disable them to see if the issue persists.
Thank you.

Hello Starrain,

I've tried with the driver from the motherboard driver USB (3.0.19.0), the support webpage (3.1.3.0) and the Armoury Crate driver updater (3.1.7.0) and all behave similarly, your suggestions in disabling the network adapter properties seem to be the solution. By default all the drivers have:

Energy-Efficient Ethernet: Enabled
Recv Segment Coalescing (IPv4): Enabled
Recv Segment Coalescing (IPv6): Enabled

Performance Results:
3.1.7.0 Peak: 107.2 MB/s Low: 25.0 MB/s
3.1.3.0 Peak: 112.9 MB/s Low: 13.0 MB/s
3.0.19.0 Peak: 115.3 MB/s Low: 27.0 MB/s

None of the drivers slowed down to a complete stop and disconnected with your tweaks.

Edit:

With simply changing Energy-Efficient Ethernet to disabled it has fully restored expected functionality regardless of driver version. I do not need to do the IPv4 or IPv6 changes. Thank you again Starrain!

Thank you!

i got tired of trying to fix this issue and asus is clueless, someone needs to start a class action on this.

i just went out and purchased a usb c network adapter and im not bothering to use this port.

rahilioj wrote:
i got tired of trying to fix this issue and asus is clueless, someone needs to start a class action on this.

i just went out and purchased a usb c network adapter and im not bothering to use this port.

i just started having this issue on my board ....i have the asus crosshair VIII formula the water cooled x570 ... does exact same thing except i cant play any online games ......watching videos and downloading dont seem to affect it .....but as soon as i start a online MP game ...its done .....dont matter the game ....
i have been searching threw all kinds of posts and one thing keeps sticking out in my head ....i read someplace its a heat issue for the marvel lan chip ......put a fan pointing at it ..... ima try that later and see if it starts to work...... ive ran this board for a couple years now and this just started for me

i couldnt find that driver, you have a link?  i also upgraded my driver to 3.1.7 and changed those settings in device manager. im running a Z590 MSI Godlike, same stuff anyways.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, all.

Please see whether disable the EEE mode can resolve the problem by:
Go to Intel(R) Ethernet Controller Properties> Advanced >select the Property "Energy Efficient Ethernet"�select Value to "On (when system id in S0, S0c and Sx".

Thank you.