cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Formula - Constant loss of ethernet on load.

axiumone
Level 11
Strange issue here that I don't even know how to troubleshoot. Whenever the ethernet gets loaded past 20 mb/s, theres a high probability that it will disconnect from the internet. I didn't think it was the motherboard at first, but now it seems like it's the only culprit.

Steps tried:
- Variety of different ethernet cables
- Replaced router with asus ax88u
- Tried marvell 3.1.3 and 3.1.6 drivers

After the ethernet adapter says it's not connected to the internet, the only thing that seems to work is funnily enough the built in MS tool that resets the ethernet adapter, after that the connection is back to normal, until the adapter is loaded again.
106 REPLIES 106

zoulas
Level 7
When it happens again, try pinging the default gateway. If it pings, the ethernet card is working.

Also, If I recall that board has a 10G Ethernet connection. See if you can hard code it to the speed of your router ethernet port. For example 1G. Also, see if you can adjust the jumbo frames or MTU.

axiumone
Level 11
Just saw your post! Thanks, I'll try pinging the gateway next time. I've also adjusted the jumbo packet size, so we'll see if it has any affect.

Did you ever sort this out? I have a Z690 Formula and am seeing the same thing. I haven't figured out a way to easily reproduce it though. Seems like I need to let a few days of normal interneting go by, and then attempt a speedtest.net test (i have a 1gig plan), and that high bandwidth utilization seems to break it after a couple of seconds. After enabling/disabling in Windows, I can then complete the same speedtest just fine and everything will run fine until I try another bandwidth test after a few days or so. Driver 3.1.6.0, and I explicitly set the adapter to match my switch (1gb full duplex).

[edit: specs]

Windows 11
Driver: 3.1.6.0
Bios: 0811

I have this same issue! Z690 Maximus Extreme, using the 10GB Marvell LAN adapter (not the Intel I225-V, also on-board). My network completely drops on load (noticed the pattern when downloading large games) and I have to enable/disable the LAN adapter or use windows diagnostics in order to get back online.

Windows 11
Marvell Driver: 3.1.6.0
BIOS: 1101

axiumone
Level 11
I haven't been able to solve it on my end. I wonder if it's a hardware issue? Interesting to see that others are having the same issue.

axiumone wrote:
I haven't been able to solve it on my end. I wonder if it's a hardware issue? Interesting to see that others are having the same issue.

Have you contacted ASUS support yet? I assume they will ask you to do the usual resets of things and then tell you to RMA the board...

Perhaps Marvell support even? Not sure if they even do consumer support for motherboard LAN adapters.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi all,
May I double confirm all of you connect the10GB ethernet port directly on the motherboard?
Which status does the 10GB ethernet port indication show? activity link LED and speed LED both are off?
Does it disconnect from the internet on bios 1304 with bios all default settings and Marvell Ethernet connection Driver V3.1.3.0?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi all,
May I double confirm all of you connect the10GB ethernet port directly on the motherboard?
Which status does the 10GB ethernet port indication show? activity link LED and speed LED both are off?
Does it disconnect from the internet on bios 1304 with bios all default settings and Marvell Ethernet connection Driver V3.1.3.0?
Thank you.

Hey STARRAIN, I can provide this information as I can frequently reproduce the issue on my end.
(Z690 Maximus Extreme; BIOS 1304; reproduces even after reset to factory defaults)

- Confirmed connected to 10GB Ethernet port (Marvell) and not Intel 2.5G
- Neither of the status LEDs around the physical port change. Just before reproducing the issue, and immediately upon reproducing the issue and being in-state, the ACT/LINK LED flashes green and the SPEED LED stays solid orange.
- I've faced this issue on BIOS 1304 and the previous version (1101 I think?); and I have faced this issue with Marvell Ethernet connection Driver V3.1.3.0 and V3.1.6.0 which is listed on the Marvell driver page

Easiest way for me to reproduce this reliably is to download a large game from any client/launcher. After a minute or two I see the download throughput go from ~100MB/s or greater, to kilobytes and then 0 until the adapter is reset (or disabled > enabled again) manually.