Z690 Apex - Can't update Bios

rgarodnick
Level 7
I have the following:

Z690 Apex
Teamgroup 32GB DDR5 6400 CL40
Samsung 980 Pro x2 (in Dimm.2 slots)
HX1200 Platinum

I can't seem to update my bios beyond Version 0231 (the first bios release). I've tried the following:

1) Clear CMOS
2) Bios Flashback
3) Flash Bios through the UI (if on 0231)

It just keeps scrolling through the Q-codes over and over and never shows me a bios.

Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

rjbarker
Level 11
Try switching to other BIOS n give it a go.

I always flash the bios with a thumb drive and the flashback USB port on the Board, never in UEFI (if thats what your trying).

Remember you have 2 separate BIOS to play with.

Also, always good to go into the BIOS and set optimized defaults, then complete shut down, switch off power to the Board, re-power board and then proceed with the flash.
Some guys also throw in the step of clearing CMOS after setting to optimized defaults but I never do this step.

Insert thumb drive into the correct USB port, push n hold bios flashback button until it starts to flash, then release and let it do its thing. Once it stops flashing the process is complete.
Remove the thumb drive and start your pc.....you may see a black screen indication that your BIOS is preparing itself, dont touch anything at this point.
You will eventually get to your post screen and then Windows.

Was your thumb drive properly formatted with only the Apex0811.cap file on it?

Ensure to rename the file to .cap and no other files on the thumb drive.

I just flashed my BIOS on my Apex from 0231 (original) to 0811 with no issues.

I left the original BIOS version (0231) on the other BIOS....once a newer BIOS comes out I'll leave my working 0811 and flash the original 0213 to the newer one (I pretty much do this cycle throughout, always leave one BIOS to a proven good working one).

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
rgarodnick wrote:
I have the following:

Z690 Apex
Teamgroup 32GB DDR5 6400 CL40
Samsung 980 Pro x2 (in Dimm.2 slots)
HX1200 Platinum

I can't seem to update my bios beyond Version 0231 (the first bios release). I've tried the following:

1) Clear CMOS
2) Bios Flashback
3) Flash Bios through the UI (if on 0231)

It just keeps scrolling through the Q-codes over and over and never shows me a bios.

Any ideas?

Hello,

so what happens exactly, does it get stuck on a Q-Code when updating? What happens when you use EZ Flash from the UEFI? Once the UEFI has completed pre-checks, the system should reboot once or twice.

Make sure to leave it for 10 minutes before attempting to intervene. Try unplugging any unnecessary devices.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

rgarodnick
Level 7
I've cleared CMOS, and set optimized defaults prior to flashing. I've also flashed using bios flashback multiple tries, and can only get it to POST if on 0231.

It goes through the entire BIOS update as normal...everything seems to appear to be fine, both with BIOS flashback and with the flash utility in the BIOS. They all say (or indicate) success. But, after updating, the Q-Code goes through it's normal checks, but I never get the ASUS Splash nor POST screen, and can't ever get into BIOS...it just cycles over and over (starting with 00). It's as if I'm holding the reset button down.

I left it for an hour and it was still cycling.

I also tried on the 2nd BIOS and it has the same behavior.

I took a short video of the Q-Code output after I flash any non-0231 BIOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLRlx2Xd1K8

rjbarker
Level 11
Try taking out 1 stick of RAM, leave one stick in and try booting on the new BIOS.

rjbarker wrote:
Try taking out 1 stick of RAM, leave one stick in and try booting on the new BIOS.

Yep, I had the same thought and tried that with both sticks (one at a time) in either slot. no joy.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi rgarodnick,
Are you able to downgrade to 0231 via USB BIOS Flashback for normal usage?
Is your RAM FF3D532G6400HC40BDC01 or FF4D532G6400HC40BDC01?
Have you tried bios 0702, 0806 and 0811, and all of them are the same result?
Thank you.

rgarodnick
Level 7
My ram is FF3D532G6400HC40BDC01 which is on the QVL.

I am able to return to version 0231 via bios flashback successfully, however I cannot POST with any other BIOS version. I have tried 0702 0806 and 0811.

I got a strange response from Asus technical support regarding my issue:

"It appears that the version 0231 is only bios version that is compatible with the system components that you have based on your Feed Back Form.

If you update to a new bios version, Please send the product to our repair facility which is the RMA."

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi rgarodnick,
Thank you for your reply.
It is weird but I haven't received such feedback from other customers.
Please send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination.
Thank you.

rgarodnick
Level 7
I have returned the board to my retailer and purchased a new one . It is working fine