cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590-F Gaming Wi-Fi does not recognize Samsung 970 EVO Plus when USB drive is connect

X-Men
Level 7
I have recently bought a new motherboard, Z590-F Gaming Wi-Fi.
I have installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB in the m2.2 slot on the motherboard. I have used m2.2 because I have an Intel Core i9-10850K installed.

I have managed to install Windows on the SSD and that works fine.
The problem I have is, if I have a USB drive, either memory stick or harddrive, attached to one of the USB ports during boot BIOS will not detect the SSD on the m2.2 slot.
In order to let the BIOS detect the SSD I must remove all USB drives and reboot the system. Then BIOS will detect the SSD.

When booted up in Windows it all works fine. If an USB drive is connected Windows also finds it.

If I have had a USB drive connected while using the PC, disconnects all USB units, reboots then BIOS once again refuses to detect the SSD.
I must, at all times, reboot the PC twice before the SSD is detected.

I have updated BIOS to the latest version, 1007.

I have tried settings in BIOS to have "Other OS", "Windows UEFI", "Secure boot" Standard and custom, and CSM disabled and nothing makes any changes to the problem.
I am not using m2.1 as this is dedicated for Intel Generation 11 CPUs.

Any suggestions for a solution or is there a fault with my motherboard?*
6 REPLIES 6

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi X-Men,

Did it occur while a USB drive connected to any USB ports?
Have you restored bios to all default settings or only CSM enabled?
May I have the model name of your cpu and a photo of the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB in the m.2_2 slot in the bios while no USB drive connected?
Thank you.

Hi Starrain and thank you for your reply.

Â*1. I have today tested all USB ports on the back panel, exluding the two USB-C as I have no USB-C cable.
No matter what USB port I use same fault.
Â*2. First thing I did was to load and save Default settings when this problem occured. Same fault.
Â*3. CPU modell already in my first post.
Â*4. Picture of BIOS when BIOS finds the NVMe unit is hopefyully attached to this post.

Â*Kind regards

Â*90161

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi X-Men,

I'm sorry I didn't notice you have mentioned the cpu model name.
Could you please install the ssd in m.2_3 slot and see if is it the same?
Thank you.

What are your bios usb settings. Disable most in bios, could be that

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi X-Men,

I'm sorry I didn't notice you have mentioned the cpu model name.
Could you please install the ssd in m.2_3 slot and see if is it the same?
Thank you.

Thank you for your reply!

That stroke my mind too, see if it will work in m.2_3 slot.
But I did not do that!
Â*My mind said that I should replace the PSU. The PSU works fine, no problems what so ever. It has been tested on two other PCs without any problems.
Â*Despite that I got myself a new PSU today. I replaced the present PSU and then, like magic, the PC works!
I have only motherboard, NVMe SSD, RAM, CPU and CPU cooler connected to the motherboard. No external graphics, no internal disks, no extra USBs connected or anything else. Just motherboard, SSD, CPU, RAM and CPU cooler.

With a new PSU it seems to work. i have cold started the PC several times, first with one USB drive connected, then two USB drives conneted and finally I ended up with three USB drives connected. PC boots up just fine!
Even restart works fine so far.

I estimates that I have powered up the PC (cold start) 10 times and no fault. Restarted 2-3 times and no fault!

Solution on my problem is (was) replacin the PSU.

The prevoius PSU is not running fine in another PC.

Thank you for your kind support!Â*

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi X-Men,

Thank you for your update.