cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590-E Gaming wifi BIOS PTT and Secure boot setting reverting to enabled automaticly.

Nuckels
Level 8
Ever since the implementation of windows 11 support (support meaning automaticly enabling secure boot and PTT) within a bios update on the z590 platform it is impossible to disable PTT and secure boot. After a reboot those settings will revert back to their default state from the install. This is a known issue and has been mentioned multiple times both on this forum as well as other forums. Hoping the latest update of 1301 would fix this but this issue is still pressent.

Please fix the functionality and let me disable PTT and secure boot.
19 REPLIES 19

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi kubr0,
To make win11 upgrade conveniently, we released new bios to support win11 by default setting and the main part is for TPM.
There is a advanced option such as Security Device Support.
If you want to disable TPM and PTT, please disable Security Device Support and then save & exit.
Please enter "tpm.msc" in the search bar of windows and click tpm.msc to check if TPM is disabled.
Thank you.

And again, we're running in circles ...

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi kubr0,
If you want to disable TPM and PTT, please disable Security Device Support and then save & exit.

I do this, machine restarts, I immediately go back into the BIOS, PTT is set to enabled again.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi kubr0,
Please enter "tpm.msc" in the search bar of windows and click tpm.msc to check if TPM is disabled.

Yes, if I disable Security Device Support under Advanced \ Trusted Computing, even while PTT stays enabled, it says that the TPM module is disabled ...

... which again leads me to the very same question, why does PTT, even though I set it to disabled too, enable itself? Take this as a rhetorical question, I don't expect any reasonable explanation anymore, it just bugs me that there is a setting which I don't seem to have control over.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi kubr0,
I'm sorry my explanation might not be clear.
To avoid disabling TPM by accident, PTT cannot be disabled which is the design for win11 TPM support, but there is an advanced setting "Security Device Support" for TPM and you can adjust this option.
As you mentioned, although PTT stays enabled in bios, if "Security Device Support" is disabled, the TPM is disabled. Therefore, it may prevent win10 update to detect your PC as being eligible to upgrade to win11.
If PTT stays enabled and "Security Device Support" is disabled which is still eligible to upgrade to win11 in pc health check, please share me screenshots in tpm.msc, pc health check and bios settings.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:

To avoid disabling TPM by accident, PTT cannot be disabled which is the design for win11 TPM support.

Yes, so why does the BIOS even offer me the option to switch it from enabled to disabled? 🙂

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:

If PTT stays enabled and "Security Device Support" is disabled which is still eligible to upgrade to win11 in pc health check, please share me screenshots in tpm.msc, pc health check and bios settings.
Thank you.

Not gonna be necessary, PC health-check is saying that its not eligible. Thanks.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi kubr0,
For PTT option, I'll forward your feedback to our tech team for consideration.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi kubr0,
Thank you.

THANK YOU !!!

I mean, it drives me crazy that there is a function in BIOS which I can change through a drop-down, but it just reverts back to being enabled even if I disable it. Clearly, if you can't change something, it just should be somewhere in the back-end, not even visible to the end user.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi kubr0,
Thank you.

Any update on this?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Nuckels,
I'm afraid the PTT option would not be changed after internal discussion.
If you want to disable TPM, please disable Security Device Support and then save & exit.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Nuckels,
I'm afraid the PTT option would not be changed after internal discussion.
If you want to disable TPM, please disable Security Device Support and then save & exit.
Thank you.

Then I advice ASUS to grey the toggle, this is just frustrating design for anyone who doesn't know this. Thank you for the update.

Nuckels wrote:
Then I advice ASUS to grey the toggle, this is just frustrating design for anyone who doesn't know this. Thank you for the update.

Its not a frustrating design, its just plain stupid, brain-dead-level design. They leave an option there which you can change, but it never does 😄