cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590-E: ASUS RTX4090 stuck in PCIE 3.0 mode

rozak1968
Level 7
Hello,

I installed my just arrived TUF-4090-GAMING-O24 *in my Rog Strix Z590-E PCIE4_1 slot and the card is stuck in PCIE 3.0 x16 mode.
I have i9-11900K with a Samsung 980 Pro installed in M2_1 slot. Drive reports running at PCIE 4.0 x4 mode.
No other PCIE cards installed. Only two NVME drives at M2_3 and M2_4.
Latest BIOS (1402) on board and latest drivers everywhere. Tested with GPU-Z, AIDA64 and HWinfo64. All report the same.

I have already performed a BIOS reset and loaded optimized defaults in BIOS. No change.

Resizable bar is on and reported as active.

OS is Windows 11 22H2, latest patches.

Otherwise the card seem to work fine.

Any idea anyone?
81 REPLIES 81

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi OVKrieg,
I've sent you pm. Please help to check it.
Thank you.

Hello, @STARRAIN@ROG

First, thanks for the Bios 1450 🙂

I have another question but i can't MP you because i reached my quota.

I bought my motherboard recently, a STRIX Z590-E Gaming.

I had only one screw instead of two in my box to fix the 40mm VRM fan. However I have the two nuts.

Is it possible to request spare parts? My card is still under warranty.

Thank you in advance, cordially.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi OVKrieg,
If you would like to send pm, please delete old messages in sent items so that you may send new message.
As for screws, we don't sell spare parts separately. If you bought the motherboard recently, please consult the retailer about the missing parts.
Thank you.

Killersjp
Level 7
Well installed the latest 1701 bios for Maximus XIII Hero which says 40 fixes. still pcie 3.0 mode. This is crazy now

Killersjp wrote:
Well installed the latest 1701 bios for Maximus XIII Hero which says 40 fixes. still pcie 3.0 mode. This is crazy now

Same happen to me. So have to use USB BIOS FlashBackâ„¢ from backside on the mainboard to get back to 1450 bios. In Cpu-z it did show pci express 4.0 but not on Gpu-z and Nvidia controll. I have a ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB.

Killersjp
Level 7
Gone back to 1450. I wonder what the RTX 40 fixes were in the 1701 bios. Not the fix most needed. If a Mod reads this can you please find out what the fixes are and what would be the point of updating to this bios if the pcie 3.0 fix has not been included in the fix as anyone with a 4090 would not install the new bios anyway. thanks

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, Killersjp and Frode68.

May I ask if you have updated to BIOS version 1701, but it still comes up with PCIe 3.0?
Please provide the following details to help us clarify the issue:
1. Motherboard model and BIOS version
2. Graphics card model and graphics card driver version
3. The software used to detect the GPU speed and a screenshot of the result. If there is any inconsistency between the two, please provide a comparison screenshot.
4. The brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, and PSU currently installed
5. The OS version and OS build

Thank you.
Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

Sorry. I have 1450 bios back on now so cant show a screenshot. I put 1701 bios on twice with same result. I will wait for a newer than 1701 bios before i go through the hassle of updating the Bios again. Hopefully this issue will be fixed on the next new bios. Thanks

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, Killersjp and Frode68.

May I ask if you have updated to BIOS version 1701, but it still comes up with PCIe 3.0?
Please provide the following details to help us clarify the issue:
1. Motherboard model and BIOS version
2. Graphics card model and graphics card driver version
3. The software used to detect the GPU speed and a screenshot of the result. If there is any inconsistency between the two, please provide a comparison screenshot.
4. The brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, and PSU currently installed
5. The OS version and OS build

Thank you.

hello. I have the same pcie 3.0 with bios 1701. Asus ROG Maximus Hero Z590 > 11900k > Palit GameRock 4090 > Nvidia 527.37 driver > GPUZ 2.52.0 > Crucial Ballistix Gaming RGB DDR4-3600Mhz 4x8 RAM (32GB) > Super Flower PSU Leadex Platinum 1000W: pcie 4.0 does not work on new 1701 bios. It is sad. (((

Killersjp
Level 7
Hi Jiaszzz@ROG. I did update the bios to 1701 but my Graphic Card was still detected at Pcie 3.0 by Nvidia's own System information on the latest Nvidia 527.37 driver and also on GPUZ version 2.52.0. My Motherboard is a Asus Maximus Hero XIII and my Graphic Card is a RTX 4090 Founders Edition. To make sure there was no fault of myself I reset the CMOS after confirming 1701 Bios had no effect on how Nvidia's System Information or GPUZ was reading the Pcie information and still the card is being detected at Pcie 3.0. I have gone back to 1450 bios and the card is back a Pcie 4.0. Hope this information helps.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, Killersjp and Frode68. Thank you for your prompt reply.

After confirming with our relevant teams, the issue has been resolved in the BIOS version 1701, and we must wait for a future driver release from Nvidia to address it.
If you still have any concern about the current use, it is recommended that you use the previously provided special BIOS.
Please let me know if you need a special BIOS, and I will provide it through PM.

Thank you.
Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂