cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Z590] Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero - PCH High Temperature

EncodeGR
Level 9
My PCH temperature is fairly high, which concerns me. I'm used to everything else in my system being pretty chilly, usually around 28-30 C. The airflow is also really good. The *only* thing that gets hot is the PCH, and i don't understand why.

-- Some Backround Info, Setup --

Intel Pentium G6400 4.0GHz (Lol, well... until i get my Rocket Lake chip)

MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming X (Until i actually manage to find a 3080/3070, if ever...)

HyperX DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz XMP CL17 (4 x 8 GB)

Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero (Z590)

Asus ROG Thor 850 Plat

Samsung 980 Pro M2. NVMe PCIe 4.0 500GB (installed in M2.2_2, cpu bound)

Noctua NH-U12A

Noctua NF-A14 PWM (x6)

-- Things i've tried --

• Updated Drivers. Updated ME FW. Updated BIOS.
  • Inspected PCH heatsink and thermal pad and resit. No change.
  • Removed M.2 NVMe drive and GPU. No significant change.
  • Checked the PCH 1.8v VCCIN voltage, stable 1.8v.
  • Made sure nothing is "overclocked", using XMP, or enhanced in any automatic way.
  • Lowered VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.10v, since automatic was pushing both to 1.40 for some reason !! (CPU weak memory controller ?). No change.

** I need to mention i couldn't find the PCH Core Voltage, anywhere in the settings. No idea why.

-- PCH Temperature --

PCH temperature starts at 35-38 C, during a cold boot. During the next 5 minutes it climbs and stabilizes at 56 - 62 C, while IDLING.

And that's with a system without GPU, or M.2 NVMe drive. Just the CPU and its iGPU which stay at 24 C, cooled by a Noctua NH-U12A. With a fully assembled system and under load it goes up to 70 - 80 C.

Now... The only thing i have not tried yet, is to completely remove the plastic ROG-logo cover, on top of the PCH, as it may be severely suffocating the heatsink, restricting the airflow towards it.

That would explain the temps under load, but i'm not sure if that explains the initial fast-climbing temperatures while idling. And honestly, without the cover the LEDs underneath it are blinding, so the Aura lighting needs to be completely disabled. Could this be a flawed design ?? I doubt.

I don't understand what's wrong. I've seen people reviewing this mothereboard, while reporting PCH idle temps at 35C and 55C under load. I know that right now, it's not gonna cause any sort of damage. I am however concerned about the longevity and a possible degredation over time, thinking that my PCH is at 75-80 C while gaming.

Sorry for the long post, had to make sure everythong's covered.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

-- HWInfo & HWMonitor -> 3 minutes after cold boot --
-- Bios Monitor -> 10 minutes after cold boot --
69 REPLIES 69

DjDerex wrote:
if i mount the gpu vertically, would that help ? I think now the PCH gets hotter because of hot gpu and also gpu gets hotter because hot PCH, both gpu and pch next to each other not really good combination.Anyone tried that ?

tried vertically, tried with GT1030 with passive cooling....PCH is 65C in idle.

The problem is not the GPU temperature, it's the lack of airflow in that spedcific area with the pastic cover suffocating the PCH. Stupid design...

So, regarding the PCH temperature, try to set the GPU fan to be always enabled in order to create some airflow. It doesn't have to be too much, ~ 30-35 % fan speed should be enough for some silent operation while creating airflow around the PCH area.

You are right about ASUS. I'm also very disappointed... Quality has dropped, Z590 motherboards have a lot of bugs and design flaws. Also the bios / driver updates are not as frequent as they should be, and they seriously lack update logs.

I may switch to another brand in the future. Asus is not what it used to be, and i'm definitely not going to recommend it to people i know.

EncodeGR wrote:
it's the lack of airflow in that spedcific area with the pastic cover suffocating the PCH.

Plastic shroud is removed, side panel is removed, used short GT1030, even can't touch with a finger for long thats hot...120mm fan directed to PCH - just 2-3C difference, gona try to RMA if it is possible in my country, returning to shop will get up to 90 days due to local laws...

TasmaN wrote:
tried vertically, tried with GT1030 with passive cooling....PCH is 65C in idle.

Tried vertical no Difference

TasmaN
Level 8
The same situation. Hero XIII+11900KF+ Define 7XL with many fans...60-65C in idle with removed plastic shroud, what for I paid...coilwhine...hot PCH temps...techs say it is normal...but how long motherboard will work properly with this temp??? I think ASUS will forget Z590 too soon, because of new generation and Z690 etc... why cheap Aorus|MSI boards have 35-45C PCH temp on Z590 models....ASUS is not ASUS as years before...unfortunately, quality drops....

TasmaN
Level 8
Guys, I did a little research. I looked through the text reviews of Hero XIII from various Internet media and where there are screenshots of UEFI with a temperatures window, all of them are 68-72C on PCH (chipset). If ASUS sent out motherboards with such temperatures to journalists before launch, most likely this is the normal...hot, unusual, but normal.....I need time to accept this new revelation.

Hello, comrades!
Another owner Hero XIII with toasty PCH from Russia here.
Chipset temperature is 77-84 C.

My configuration:
I7-11700K
64Gb 3600MHz Kingston HyperX Fury
GPU: Asus GTX 1070

PCH Storage:
SSD Samsung 980 PRO 500GB
SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB
WD BLUE 3D NAND SATA SSD 2TB
SEAGATE Exos 8TB

Case: Corsair Crystal 680X with 7 fans.

radvitaly wrote:
Hello, comrades!
Another owner Hero XIII with toasty PCH from Russia here.
Chipset temperature is 77-84 C.

My configuration:
I7-11700K
64Gb 3600MHz Kingston HyperX Fury
GPU: Asus GTX 1070

PCH Storage:
SSD Samsung 980 PRO 500GB
SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB
WD BLUE 3D NAND SATA SSD 2TB
SEAGATE Exos 8TB

Case: Corsair Crystal 680X with 7 fans.

Oh my god! :eek: Asus, please... solve that issue with a BIOS UPDATE...

Hi guys.

So I also fry the chipset with you.

Computer case: Fractal Design Meshify 2.
CPU: i7-11700K
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX Black 32GB DDR4 Kit (4000MHz)
Four hard drives connected via SATA and one M.2 drive for the system - Samsung 980 PRO 1TB.
BIOS Version: 0707

Disconnecting hard drives and video cards does not affect the temperature of the chipset in any way. I started the system on the graphics built into the CPU, without hard disks and at idle, the temperature was 67-70 °C (at a room temperature of 25-26 °C).
Turning off some devices lowered the temperature by five degrees (turned off when the room was cooler 22-23 °C).
Even in a cool room when idle, the chipset gets quite hot, I think. I wonder how long it will work before SATA and other peripherals working through it start to fail. Although it is possible that the technical support of ASUS is right and nothing bad will happen.

First screenshot:
Indoor temperature: 26 °C
Wi-Fi: Enabled
Bluetooth: Enabled
Second Lan port: Enabled
Thunderbolt: Enabled
All SATA enabled.

Second screenshot:
Indoor temperature: 23 °C
Wi-Fi: Disabled
Bluetooth: Disabled
Second Lan port: Disabled
Thunderbolt: Disabled
5th and 6th SATA are disabled.

TasmaN
Level 8
Hello. everyone! High PCH temperature (65-70C): tried to replace thermal pad - no effect. Don't like the design of motherboard...PCH and RAM slots too close, PCH also warms the DIMMs (installed all 4 sticks of G.Skill TridentZ, up to 45-50C) and also DIMMs warm each other...installed 1x120mm fan toward the RAM and PCH. Now the temps of PCH is 50C, RAM is 33-35C.