cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Z590] Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero - PCH High Temperature

EncodeGR
Level 9
My PCH temperature is fairly high, which concerns me. I'm used to everything else in my system being pretty chilly, usually around 28-30 C. The airflow is also really good. The *only* thing that gets hot is the PCH, and i don't understand why.

-- Some Backround Info, Setup --

Intel Pentium G6400 4.0GHz (Lol, well... until i get my Rocket Lake chip)

MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming X (Until i actually manage to find a 3080/3070, if ever...)

HyperX DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz XMP CL17 (4 x 8 GB)

Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero (Z590)

Asus ROG Thor 850 Plat

Samsung 980 Pro M2. NVMe PCIe 4.0 500GB (installed in M2.2_2, cpu bound)

Noctua NH-U12A

Noctua NF-A14 PWM (x6)

-- Things i've tried --

• Updated Drivers. Updated ME FW. Updated BIOS.
  • Inspected PCH heatsink and thermal pad and resit. No change.
  • Removed M.2 NVMe drive and GPU. No significant change.
  • Checked the PCH 1.8v VCCIN voltage, stable 1.8v.
  • Made sure nothing is "overclocked", using XMP, or enhanced in any automatic way.
  • Lowered VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.10v, since automatic was pushing both to 1.40 for some reason !! (CPU weak memory controller ?). No change.

** I need to mention i couldn't find the PCH Core Voltage, anywhere in the settings. No idea why.

-- PCH Temperature --

PCH temperature starts at 35-38 C, during a cold boot. During the next 5 minutes it climbs and stabilizes at 56 - 62 C, while IDLING.

And that's with a system without GPU, or M.2 NVMe drive. Just the CPU and its iGPU which stay at 24 C, cooled by a Noctua NH-U12A. With a fully assembled system and under load it goes up to 70 - 80 C.

Now... The only thing i have not tried yet, is to completely remove the plastic ROG-logo cover, on top of the PCH, as it may be severely suffocating the heatsink, restricting the airflow towards it.

That would explain the temps under load, but i'm not sure if that explains the initial fast-climbing temperatures while idling. And honestly, without the cover the LEDs underneath it are blinding, so the Aura lighting needs to be completely disabled. Could this be a flawed design ?? I doubt.

I don't understand what's wrong. I've seen people reviewing this mothereboard, while reporting PCH idle temps at 35C and 55C under load. I know that right now, it's not gonna cause any sort of damage. I am however concerned about the longevity and a possible degredation over time, thinking that my PCH is at 75-80 C while gaming.

Sorry for the long post, had to make sure everythong's covered.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

-- HWInfo & HWMonitor -> 3 minutes after cold boot --
-- Bios Monitor -> 10 minutes after cold boot --
69 REPLIES 69

EncodeGR wrote:
*** UPDATE ***

After playing around in BIOS, i noticed that disabling some functionality and controllers that i don't use, lowered the PCH temperature quite a bit.

More specifically:

(Bios -> Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration)

Disabled USB Audio
Disabled WiFi Controller
Disabled Bluetooth Controller
Disabled 2nd 2.5 Gb Ethernet Port
Disabled 34 and 56 SATA Ports

My PCH temperature is now idling ~ 46 - 50 C, compared to 56 - 62 C that was before. Nothing too crazy, but you know, every little bit helps. That is with the GPU 0-RPM feature enabled.

Disabling that feature and running GPU fans at 30% (complitely silent), drops the temperature even more ~ 43 - 47 C, since it creates some airflow around the PCH. I will also replace the PCH thermal pad with a better one soon and give you an update on that as well.

You may want to experiment with such settings in BIOS and see what works for you.
Definitely disable stuff you know you won't need. Less power, less heat.

Have fun 🙂

That's all nice but what's the use of buying a board for those specific options if you shut them off ?

I use the wiFi, the Bluetooth, the board only has USB audio . I only have 1 Ethernet port. Well, I can disable some Sata ports :rolleyes:

Zardoc wrote:
That's all nice but what's the use of buying a board for those specific options if you shut them off ?

I use the wiFi, the Bluetooth, the board only has USB audio . I only have 1 Ethernet port. Well, I can disable some Sata ports :rolleyes:

I bought the board mainly for it's overclocking capabilities, VRMs, Voltage Control etc, as well as its cooling solutions.
But definitelly agree with you. Well, perhaps this board has higher pch temperature exactly because it can handle all that stuff exceptionally well.

We'll see. Maybe future firmware / bios updates will improve things.

Zeroed85
Level 8
Another XIII Hero owner here with PCH 74-80C. Running BIOS 605...

menko2
Level 7
Disable thunderbolt in bios and temps should lower.

3dw4rdTm
Level 7
Same here, 61 degrees in idle.

This z590 chipset is probably a bit hotter, Pcie 4.0 requires more power after all.

3dw4rdTm wrote:

This z590 chipset is probably a bit hotter, Pcie 4.0 requires more power after all.

Z590 chipset lanes run at PCIe 3.0, only CPU lanes are PCIe 4.0.
PCIe 4.0 chipset lanes would probably require a fan.

EncodeGR wrote:
Z590 chipset lanes run at PCIe 3.0, only CPU lanes are PCIe 4.0.
PCIe 4.0 chipset lanes would probably require a fan.

Its true... in that case I do not know the reason for the high temperatures. Bad design probably?.

PCH 59/60C degrees idling in my case.

Blake1
Level 10
Dear all,
After checking internally, the temperature of your PCH is normal.PCH can stand the heat up to 108C.
Eventhough the device is idling, the system is still running, so an amount of heat would still be generated and you still see certain temperature of your PCH.
Please don't worry. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Dear all,
After checking internally, the temperature of your PCH is normal.PCH can stand the heat up to 108C.
Eventhough the device is idling, the system is still running, so an amount of heat would still be generated and you still see certain temperature of your PCH.
Please don't worry. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Ok, good to hear that!! Thanks a lot for the answer!

Came across your post as my Maximus XIII Hero PCH temp is also 75-85 on idling, even inside of one of the best cases known for high air flow: Cooler Master h500m. I have a strix 3090 gpu and i9-11900k, i was wondering, if i mount the gpu vertically, would that help ? I think now the PCH gets hotter because of hot gpu and also gpu gets hotter because hot PCH, both gpu and pch next to each other not really good combination.

Anyone tried that ?