cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z390 coil whine & Acoustic Noise BIOS feature

ShnippER
Level 7
Hello!

Following this thread, it seems coil whine with enabled C-stated was resolved by new BIOS options, Acoustic Noise.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123459-Fix-to-coilwhine-on-Maximus-Hero-XIII/page11

I'm having exactly same issue with Maximus XI Forula MB, BIOS ver. 2004.
Is it possible to add this feature to this board too?
7 REPLIES 7

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi ShnippER,
Do you mean there is no coil whine and acoustic noise with bios all default settings?
It only appear when enabled C-state?
May I have a video of coil whine and acoustic noise when C-state enabled in bios and a video with bios all default settings for comparing?
Thank you.

Thanks for answering.
Not whine like it usually is on videocards, more like screeching.
Not mine video, but it's EXACTLEY the same as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD8oRu39o8s

With enabled C-states+SpeedStep+unlocked Ring clock it's the noisiest (in idle, more with mouse movements).
With C-states off and Ring Clock fixed at 43 it's inaudible in idle, but if moving mouse it still can be heard (though not an issue for me at this level).

I am using "Auto" overclocking and Turbo mode enabled. It's 48/50 under load and balanced power preset in windows, so it goes down to 8 sometimes.
Mem is at 3800 with enabled XMP. CPU Core Voltage is Adaptive.

I tried changing SpreadSpectrum, changing clock of VRM etc, nothing affects this except turning both features off like described above.
It's the same as discussed on 11 pages in the thread I linked in 1st post, but it's newer MB and it was fixed there by introducing new BIOS settings. Wondering if same can be done here.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi ShnippER,
I'm afraid the bios settings would be different on each models.
Is there coil whine and acoustic noise when bios all default settings?
Thank you.

Hello.
With "Optimized defaults" it still can be heard, but somewhat lower, because CPU clock is usually under 47, 40 is Average. It seems to be more loud when range of clock change is larger, like 8-50 I had by default.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi ShnippER,
Could you please record a video of your own build about coil whine and acoustic noise with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

Can you explain why? It's hard to do for me now.

As I've stated clearly, my situation is EXACTLY as already discussed in another posts and my sound is EXACTLY as can be heard in the video I've provided. Do you suggest I'm making things up? 🙂

It's been 2 weeks, and you have replied nothing useful at all. You haven't answered my initial question: can similar BIOS modification be done in this situation, or is this MB too old for you to bother?
Or do we need 12 pages in this topic too for some result? Have you looked into topic I've linked at all? We are going in circles now.
Thank you.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi ShnippER,
I'm afraid it is no plan to add Acoustic Noise option in bios on Z390 motherboard.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.