cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570-E Gaming failing to boot after addition of 6th hard drive

ae_pols
Level 7
I have been running an X570 with a Ryzen 3950 with 64GB memory, Radeon RX 5500 and 5 HDDs (primary OS 1TB M2, 4x 8TB HGST) powered by a Corsair 850W PSU for two years without issue. I run Fedora and do ZERO gaming. I recently tried to add another SATA 8TB HDD and the system failed to boot. Power button would be pressed, and the fan would attempt to spin for about half a second and then it would give up until draining the power again. As soon as I unplugged the new drive, things returned to normal. I tried with a different HDD, I tried with a different SATA port and I tried with a different SATA cable, and an entirely new PSU, all with the same behavior.

I then realized it's happening when I simply plug in the SATA cable itself, without even being attached to a drive. My original assumption was maybe I was asking for too much power from the PSU, but with it happening with simply the SATA cable, I'm suspecting a short or a flaw or something. I do not want to RMA the board, as I don't want to rebuild the entire thing if I can avoid it.

Has anyone encountered anything similar and found a resolution? I have already reset the BIOS to defaults and upgraded to the latest version. I'm also doing no overclocking.
2 REPLIES 2

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, ae.pols.

May I ask if you have tried cross-testing other SATA cables and PSUs?
Could you help to confirm the question below so we can better understand your configuration details?
- the current BIOS version
- the brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, GPU, and PSU currently installed
- the OS version and OS build

Thank you.

All of that information, minus the BIOS version (BIOS 4408) are in my original post, including the information about cross testing a different PSU, different SATA ports and different SATA cables.