cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working RTX 3080FE not working on any Asus Rog 600 Series Motherboard

sim04ful
Level 7
I've got an RTX 3080FE gpu that works on a MSI Asrock Z390 motherboard.

I've tested the same gpu on two Asus 600 series motherboards:

1. Asus ROG Strix B660I Motherboards (My motherboard)
2. Asus Z690 Motherboard (A friend's)
These two motherboards don't detect my gpu, meaning there's not display output, I also have a feeling it's not just output, on my motherboard it doesn't even detect a PCI Device.
Plugging the HDMI and Display port to the integrated graphics works perfectly.

YET, the both motherboards work with older GPUs, I've managed to obtain a GT730 (which mind you, only gets power from the PCIE slot). This is without any bios hijinks or hardware changes, it's the exact same configuration and it works out of the box.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• upgraded my Rog Strix B660i Mobo to the latest bios version,

• changed bios settings to use PCIE slot as the primary display (for some reason it always goes back to auto),

• checked my power supply (I'm using an 850w psu)

• tried the display id firmware update (but says the gpu is up to date)

• Reset the CMOS many times.

• Tried enabling CSM in bios

• Tried forcing the pcie version to gen 4 and 3.

• Downgraded from windows 11 to 10, also tried running arch linux.

• Downgraded from display port 1.4 to 1.2

• Downgraded the bios the earliest stable version.

From the research i've done so far, this doesn't seem to be isolated to Rog motherboards. Here's a similar situation on the MSI Forum: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-z690-carbon-wifi-not-detecting-gpu.369351/

Here's the specs of my pc:

• Intel 12700k

• 64GB DDR5 @5200mhz

• Nvidia RTX 3080 FE

• 850w power supply

What i need help with is figuring out the bios settings to get this GPU detected till a bios update arrives (At this point i believe it's a bios flaw) or a pathway to applying for a refund.

Tnanks for the help.
13 REPLIES 13

sim04ful
Level 7
Motherboard serial no: MAM0FM188299J8K

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sim04ful,
May I double confirm you have tried bios 1620 with bios all default settings(no OC) or only enable CSM?
Do you have another RTX 3080FE to give it a try?
Could you please help to check the specific model name of your RMA and PSU like G.SKILL f5-6000U4040A16GX2-RS5K and ROG-THOR-850P-850W?
May I also have a photo of PCI Device not detecting in bios when RTX 3080FE installed?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sim04ful,
May I double confirm you have tried bios 1620 with bios all default settings(no OC) or only enable CSM?
Do you have another RTX 3080FE to give it a try?
Could you please help to check the specific model name of your RMA and PSU like G.SKILL f5-6000U4040A16GX2-RS5K and ROG-THOR-850P-850W?
May I also have a photo of PCI Device not detecting in bios when RTX 3080FE installed?
Thank you.

Here's a link to my bios menu,
https://imgur.com/a/TLGCsYZ
yeah everything is at its default settings. Sadly I don't have another 3080FE lying around.

PSU: MPY-8501-SFHAGV-US]
Mobo: ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sim04ful,
Thank you for your reply and sorry for my typo.
May I have the specific model name of your "RAM" like G.SKILL f5-6000U4040A16GX2-RS5K?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sim04ful,
May I have the specific model name of your "RAM" like G.SKILL f5-6000U4040A16GX2-RS5K?
Thank you.

Kingston KF552C40BBK2-64

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sim04ful,
Thank you.

Sorry our feedback loop is abit too long (taking more than 4 hours for the convo to go both ways) is there anyway we could shorten it ?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sim04ful,

I'm afraid the upside of forum is a better way to get feedback and experience sharing from other customer but sorry the downside is hard for us to keep tracking the thread in every minute.

After consulted our tech team, could you please help to check the following items?
1. Which Q-LED light(CPU [red], DRAM [yellow], VGA [white], Boot Device [yellow green]) is lit when no display with your RTX 3080FE gpu?
2. Please adjust PCIEX16(G5) Link Speed to GEN4 in bios and check it again. (Please save it in bios after adjust the setting.)
3. If it is still no display for GEN4 setting, please enable CSM and check it again. (Please save it in bios after adjust the setting.)
4. Do you have another monitor for cross check?

If you would like to apply for a refund and cannot wait for further checking form our side, please consult your retailer for a refund.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sim04ful,

I'm afraid the upside of forum is a better way to get feedback and experience sharing from other customer but sorry the downside is hard for us to keep tracking the thread in every minute.

After consulted our tech team, could you please help to check the following items?
1. Which Q-LED light(CPU [red], DRAM [yellow], VGA [white], Boot Device [yellow green]) is lit when no display with your RTX 3080FE gpu?
2. Please adjust PCIEX16(G5) Link Speed to GEN4 in bios and check it again. (Please save it in bios after adjust the setting.)
3. If it is still no display for GEN4 setting, please enable CSM and check it again. (Please save it in bios after adjust the setting.)
4. Do you have another monitor for cross check?

If you would like to apply for a refund and cannot wait for further checking form our side, please consult your retailer for a refund.
Thank you.

1. It shows a white light when the hdmi cable is plugged to the gpu, but no light when plugged to the motherboard.
2. I can't enable CSM using integrated graphics, the only way to enable CSM is to use a discrete GPU (That's what i did by using the gt730 i had). After enabling and saving, i then replaced the gt730 with the RTX. Nothing works.
3. I also tried changing link speed to gen 4. Nothing.
4. Yes I've tried both monitors on both hdmi and dp

Really frustrated and disappointed to be having this sort of issue on my first build.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sim04ful,
Our tech team think it is issue between the gpu and monitor.
If your RTX 3080FE is our product, may I have the serial number and VBIOS version via pm?
If it is not our product, please check the issue with the gpu vendor.
Thank you.