cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working RTX 3080FE not working on any Asus Rog 600 Series Motherboard

sim04ful
Level 7
I've got an RTX 3080FE gpu that works on a MSI Asrock Z390 motherboard.

I've tested the same gpu on two Asus 600 series motherboards:

1. Asus ROG Strix B660I Motherboards (My motherboard)
2. Asus Z690 Motherboard (A friend's)
These two motherboards don't detect my gpu, meaning there's not display output, I also have a feeling it's not just output, on my motherboard it doesn't even detect a PCI Device.
Plugging the HDMI and Display port to the integrated graphics works perfectly.

YET, the both motherboards work with older GPUs, I've managed to obtain a GT730 (which mind you, only gets power from the PCIE slot). This is without any bios hijinks or hardware changes, it's the exact same configuration and it works out of the box.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• upgraded my Rog Strix B660i Mobo to the latest bios version,

• changed bios settings to use PCIE slot as the primary display (for some reason it always goes back to auto),

• checked my power supply (I'm using an 850w psu)

• tried the display id firmware update (but says the gpu is up to date)

• Reset the CMOS many times.

• Tried enabling CSM in bios

• Tried forcing the pcie version to gen 4 and 3.

• Downgraded from windows 11 to 10, also tried running arch linux.

• Downgraded from display port 1.4 to 1.2

• Downgraded the bios the earliest stable version.

From the research i've done so far, this doesn't seem to be isolated to Rog motherboards. Here's a similar situation on the MSI Forum: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-z690-carbon-wifi-not-detecting-gpu.369351/

Here's the specs of my pc:

• Intel 12700k

• 64GB DDR5 @5200mhz

• Nvidia RTX 3080 FE

• 850w power supply

What i need help with is figuring out the bios settings to get this GPU detected till a bios update arrives (At this point i believe it's a bios flaw) or a pathway to applying for a refund.

Tnanks for the help.
13 REPLIES 13

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sim04ful,
Our tech team think it is issue between the gpu and monitor.
If your RTX 3080FE is our product, may I have the serial number and VBIOS version via pm?
If it is not our product, please check the issue with the gpu vendor.
Thank you.

Hey thanks for the reply again.

Sorry, your team does realize, that I've tried this gpu on other motherboards with the same monitors and it worked ?
In total i've tried this motherboard on three different monitors and it never worked.
Yet on other motherboards, this same gpu works on those monitors.

The only variable here is the motherboard, I'm struggling to understand how your team reached that conclusion ?

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sim04ful,
Our tech team think it is issue between the gpu and monitor.
If your RTX 3080FE is our product, may I have the serial number and VBIOS version via pm?
Thank you.

Sorry respectfully, I'll like to say your tech team's take might be BS, and just to make sure I just tried connecting it to an older TV via hdmi, doesn't work.

So in total, I've tried four different displays, and your team thinks the issue is my GPU ? I'm struggling to comprehend how they reached such a conclusion it feels insulting to all my efforts so far.

Same GPU works on other motherboards, this motherboard works on different GPUs. Come on.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sim04ful,
I've share all of your information to our tech team.
It is probably compatible issue between your graphics card and motherboard.
If your RTX 3080FE is our product, may I have the serial number and VBIOS version via pm, so that can discuss with our tech team further.
If it the card is our product, but you cannot provide the above info for further checking, please consult your retailer for a refund if you would like to.
Whether it is the defective card or the compatible issue, the gpu vendor may help to check it.
Thank you.

Hello !

My 2 cts on this.

I also own an RTX 3080 FE, and with this card and this card in particular, I sometimes find it difficult to get the satisfactory "click" of PCI-E slot latch and got many failed POSTs because of this. The card rests on the case's steel before reaching the bottom of the slot...

In fact, this only happens when testing inside the case. No problem outside the case of course, because I'm not limited by the case.

I'm sure you had eliminated this possibility though...