cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going on with the Maximus Z790 Extreme?

ag368
Level 9

I have been searching online stores in the US market and have noticed that this motherboard is now listed as "out of stock", "discontinued" or being sold on eBay for well over MSRP. I was told by one store that Asus is asking customers to purchase the "Hero" instead however I need at least 3 PCIe slots so this motherboard is a non-starter.

Rumors online say that the board was pulled by Asus due to a defect of some kind. If so, will you be releasing a new flagship motherboard for the Z790 chipset (that hopefully will also have 3 PCIe slots)? If this is just a supply issue, do you have any idea when to expect the Maximus Z790 Extreme to return to store shelves?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

sblantipodi
Level 9

Hi are there any news on this?

FireRx
Level 11

Both the Maximus Extreme and Maximus Apex were a limited edition of sorts and have been put on EOL by Asus.  So whatever is in the wild out there is all that is left in stock.  I would think they made a limited number of them because they didn't want to end up with unsold inventory on the shelf considering their MSRP. Still I found it odd too that they would stop production with it only being on the market for 8 months. But then again. they have to tool up for the Z890 and the Meteor lake processors which is a totally different FLGA then what we have now.  I for one certainly wouldn't pay the prices their asking for them on Ebay.

Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

Ok but z890 is a Q2 2024 thing and 2023 isnt ended yet.

you might get lucky and find one for $1500+ someplace on out of the US and have it shipped to you.  I got lucky when I first heard the rumors of the discontinuation and Snagged one.  I' just waiting on the Lian Li )11D Evo XL case to come out this summer to start assembling.   ASUS has been pointing perspective buyers to the Hero

Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory