cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird issue with USB audio on ROG Strix Z690-I

treyd
Level 7
The audio from my USB audio Line Out output on my ROG Strix Z690-I has been failing to work on bootup.

Strangely, through trial and error, I discovered it will work if I remove the stereo cord to my speakers from the Line Out on the backpanel, swap it to the Headphone Out on the frontpanel of my case, and swap it back to the the Line Out port on the backpanel.

This condition persists on both Linux and Windows, so is this something firmware or BIOS related?

Any thoughts on what may be causing this?
6 REPLIES 6

treyd
Level 7
Also to note, I have an additional system with an identical model motherboard and I am not seeing the issue on it with the same speakers.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi treyd,
Do you mean the USB headset is no audio when you plug the speakers to the 3.5 mm line out on the back panel?
Have you tried with other USB headset? Which port do you plug the USB headset(on the back panel or front panel)?
Does it also occur on bios 1505 with bios all default settings and Realtek USB Audio Driver V6.3.9600.2307?
Thank you.

treyd
Level 7
The backpanel 3.5mm line out (green for stereo out) has no output from the backpanel to any speakers on bootup. When swapping the same speakers to the front panel audio out (USB audio motherboard connector) stereo 3.5mm output, audio works. I can swap the output back to the backpanel stereo output and audio will work sometimes, but it will not work at bootup if connected to the backpanel.

I've tried every new BIOS version since 1401, currently on 1720 and the problem persists. It seems to be a firmware, BIOS or hardware issue as this problem also persists when booting into Linux rather than Windows.

I am currently on Windows 11 with Realtek audio driver 6.3.9600.2307 from the Z690-I Asus support site.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi treyd,
Thank you for your reply.
Have you updated ALC4080/ALC4082 audio FW from our support site?
If yes but the issue still occurs on bios 1720 with bios all default settings(no OC), we would suggest send RMA for further examination since you mentioned have an additional system with an identical model motherboard and not seeing the issue on it with the same speakers.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi treyd,
Thank you for your reply.
Have you updated ALC4080/ALC4082 audio FW from our support site?
If yes but the issue still occurs on bios 1720 with bios all default settings(no OC), we would suggest send RMA for further examination since you mentioned have an additional system with an identical model motherboard and not seeing the issue on it with the same speakers.
Thank you.

I am having this exact issue now but it includes a range issue. I can get the left headphone of any bluetooth headphone to work but I have to be within one foot of my pc. They worked fine the last time I used them but that was months ago.

Correction: it works with only right headphone also but as soon as i turn the oposite ear on it stops working. Both JBL and Galaxy Buds Live and any other BT Audio source.

I also just updated the bios hoping that Version 2103 would make something work better than 1720 and everything is updated but still nothing is working any better.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi TJOBrien1123,
Does the issue only occur when you connect the headphones or BT dongles to the specific USB ports like rear I/O panel?
Have you updated ALC4080/ALC4082 audio FW and PD FW v005 with Realtek USB Audio Driver V6.3.9600.2342 from our support site?
Does the issue still occur with bios all default settings(no OC)?
Thank you.