cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high GPU utilization at "idle"

blade7658
Level 7
I recently built a new system with a Strix Z-690-E (i7-12700k) and Strix OC GeForce RTX 3080 with 10GB. I use an Acer Predator X34 monitor at 100 Hz. I have been very pleased with it but the other day I noticed the GPU utilization is near 100% at all times. When not running a game, it is usually Desktop Windows Manager with the high utilization. The GPU hovers around 40 degrees when not playing games and as high as 55 degrees when playing a game (but both say 100% utilization in Task Manager).

I checked my video drivers and Windows - both are up to date. I turned off Windows visual effects - no change. I made my desktop background a solid color - no change. I ran the trouble shooter - no change. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for any thoughts.
4 REPLIES 4

Murph_9000
Level 14
40C when idle doesn't seem that unreasonable, although I'm not 100% certain about typical temperature on the 3080. 55C under gaming load also seems like a reasonable number.

My guess is that this is probably a Windows or Nvidia measurement/reporting bug. If you're on Windows 11 22H2, the following article may be relevant:

Nvidia: 100% GPU usage in Windows 11 Task Manager is a known issue

Another possibility is something like crypto mining malware (although relatively low temperatures would suggest that it's not doing anything particularly heavy). Run a virus scan with either Microsoft Defender or your AV of choice, and also a Malwarebytes scan.

Murph_9000 wrote:
40C when idle doesn't seem that unreasonable, although I'm not 100% certain about typical temperature on the 3080. 55C under gaming load also seems like a reasonable number.

My guess is that this is probably a Windows or Nvidia measurement/reporting bug. If you're on Windows 11 22H2, the following article may be relevant:

Nvidia: 100% GPU usage in Windows 11 Task Manager is a known issue

Another possibility is something like crypto mining malware (although relatively low temperatures would suggest that it's not doing anything particularly heavy). Run a virus scan with either Microsoft Defender or your AV of choice, and also a Malwarebytes scan.

Thanks and very helpful. The article was interesting but perhaps wasn't the problem (new driver and I was having low-moderate power usage). I ran AV and Malware and nothing found (I wondered the same thing about someone using my card, but I agree, low temp tells us the load is not high).

I will keep an eye on it and see if an update fixes it. I welcome any other ideas as I don't have any more.

Thanks!

blade7658 wrote:
Thanks and very helpful. The article was interesting but perhaps wasn't the problem (new driver and I was having low-moderate power usage). I ran AV and Malware and nothing found (I wondered the same thing about someone using my card, but I agree, low temp tells us the load is not high).

I will keep an eye on it and see if an update fixes it. I welcome any other ideas as I don't have any more.

Thanks!

One update, I just noticed the 3D part - indeed my Task Manager is showing high 3D utilization. Maybe it is the bug.

blade7658
Level 7
Strangely I saw a reply asking a few questions and now it is gone. In case it is a local issue.

The GPU fluctuates up and down, but is at or near 100% most of the time, the entire time the computer is on.
I turned off XMP and overclocking, but it still is present. It is always DWM, unless a game is running.

My video driver is 526.86.

I think that was everything.