cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Z590-E BIOS and now I got a lot of problems.

16hypen3sp
Level 7
Hey all, hoping you can help me out.

I updated my mobo BIOS to the latest version. It went well until it went to reboot normally.

It rebooted but I had no display. I tried again and still nothing. So I switched to integrated graphics and that got me into Windows normally. I looked for my 3080TI in device manager and it was gone. Tried downloading drivers from nvidia but it gives me an error when checking compatibility.

I found a thread online that said to shutdown the computer, remove power, wait, hook back up and restart. I tried that but now I can't get into Windows. I get stuck on the ROG splash screen.

Anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks. *
411 Views
31 REPLIES 31

Jimbo93
Level 12
16hypen3sp wrote:
Hey all, hoping you can help me out.

I updated my mobo BIOS to the latest version. It went well until it went to reboot normally.

It rebooted but I had no display. I tried again and still nothing. So I switched to integrated graphics and that got me into Windows normally. I looked for my 3080TI in device manager and it was gone. Tried downloading drivers from nvidia but it gives me an error when checking compatibility.

I found a thread online that said to shutdown the computer, remove power, wait, hook back up and restart. I tried that but now I can't get into Windows. I get stuck on the ROG splash screen.

Anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks. *


When I do a cold reset, I power down then unplug cord from wall, touch the ground prong of the power cord to a good ground while pressing and holding the power button for at least 30 seconds. Then try it. If you can get into the bios UEFI you need to restore defaults F5 I believe, but check that.

Another way to achieve is to reset the CMOS. I am not sure the easiest way with that board. There is either a button somewhere or you can remove the cmos battery for a minute or so.

Jimbo93 wrote:
When I do a cold reset, I power down then unplug cord from wall, touch the ground prong of the power cord to a good ground while pressing and holding the power button for at least 30 seconds. Then try it. If you can get into the bios UEFI you need to restore defaults F5 I believe, but check that.

Another way to achieve is to reset the CMOS. I am not sure the easiest way with that board. There is either a button somewhere or you can remove the cmos battery for a minute or so.


Here is the asus faq on this issue. https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1030210/#:~:text=There%20is%20a%20CLR_CMOS%20button%20on%20the%20mo....

Jimbo93 wrote:
Here is the asus faq on this issue. https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1030210/#:~:text=There%20is%20a%20CLR_CMOS%20button%20on%20the%20mo....


I did the CMOS reset as well because I was having a very bad time trying to boot. See above post for current status.Â*

Jimbo93 wrote:
When I do a cold reset, I power down then unplug cord from wall, touch the ground prong of the power cord to a good ground while pressing and holding the power button for at least 30 seconds. Then try it. If you can get into the bios UEFI you need to restore defaults F5 I believe, but check that.

Another way to achieve is to reset the CMOS. I am not sure the easiest way with that board. There is either a button somewhere or you can remove the cmos battery for a minute or so.


Hi there. Thanks for the reply. Ok, I got into BIOS and restored to default. Got into Windows using the integrated GPU and checked the device manager. 3080TI is still not there. BUT I selected View > Hidden Devices and then it popped up. Right clicked and checked properties and it says "Currently, this hardware is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)"

But the 3080 is definitely connected and powered up. Fans spin and LEDs are on. I don't get it???? Â*

16hypen3sp wrote:
Hi there. Thanks for the reply. Ok, I got into BIOS and restored to default. Got into Windows using the integrated GPU and checked the device manager. 3080TI is still not there. BUT I selected View > Hidden Devices and then it popped up. Right clicked and checked properties and it says "Currently, this hardware is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)"

But the 3080 is definitely connected and powered up. Fans spin and LEDs are on. I don't get it???? Â*


Try deleting the device that is not present in device manager and reboot. Other than that the video card might need to be reseated. These are off the top of my head. I check and post back if I find something helpful. Be careful to ground your body so no static discharge to your components.

Jimbo93 wrote:
Heres another asus faq for video card issues.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016113/#:~:text=Turn%20off%20the%20computer%2C%20unplug%20the%20co...


Ok. I used DDU and uninstalled all the driver crap. This then allowed the nvidia driver installer to actually do it's thing. It got half way installing the gpu drivers and froze. Then my iGPU suddenly went black. Had to do a hard reboot and now I can't get into windows again.Â*

So much trouble with this. Â*

16hypen3sp wrote:
Ok. I used DDU and uninstalled all the driver crap. This then allowed the nvidia driver installer to actually do it's thing. It got half way installing the gpu drivers and froze. Then my iGPU suddenly went black. Had to do a hard reboot and now I can't get into windows again.Â*

So much trouble with this. Â*


Retry the nvidia driver install and choose custom option. THen select checkbox for clean install. That will hopefully fix it. I don't use those 3rd party tools to do uninstalls generally, but sometimes you have to.

Jimbo93 wrote:
Retry the nvidia driver install and choose custom option. THen select checkbox for clean install. That will hopefully fix it. I don't use those 3rd party tools to do uninstalls generally, but sometimes you have to.


I got back into Windows. Used DDU again. Cleaned it. But the GPU is totally gone now. I can't do anything with the driver install process. It gives me the same error as my OP... checking for compatibility.


Not sure where to go from here. GPU is totally paperweight lol.