cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Bios on Asus Dark Hero, then no screen signal once, but worked after I reset

Planetgazer11
Level 7
Specs:

Asus Crosshair Dark Hero
AMD Ryzen 5950X
EVGA FT3 3090 Ultra
Samsung 980 Pro 500gb
GSkill Royal 3600MHZ CL18s 32gb (Silver ones) (16gb sticks x2 =32gb). I have it installed in the right DIMMS
Seasonic Prime 1000W PSU
NZXT AIO Kraken x63

Hey guys! I just build this computer yesterday and went straight into updating the bios to the newest version without installing windows 10, but I ran into a little problem. I connected my secondary monitor to the new computer (An old HDMI 24" monitor) as my old computer is still using my main monitor.

I updated to the newest bios. The progress bar went to 100% and it said update was successful and that my computer would restart. So it rebooted and I got the normal black screen with text that says "Bios if updating, Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure." It rebooted 2 times to that update screen, and on the third time, my monitor didn't have a signal. My Q-code on the mobo read 0d and the little oranged dram LED light was on. (Sidenote: I built a 10900k system a month ago with the same GPU that is in this system now with the same old HDMI monitor, and it on the first boot, no signal on the monitor also [Don't remember the Qcode])

So I freaked out and just left the computer alone for 30 minutes. I then hit the reset button and It booted up just fine and it went to the black screen with white text:

"Bios if updating, Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure."

After that, I got into the bios with the newest bios version and everything seems okay. I still haven't installed windows 10, I wanted some answers first. I have a few questions. Thanks in advance:

1. Did it fully update ? Could the bios be corrupted because on the third restart for the updates the monitor had no signal.

2. When I was in the bios using the EZ flash Utility, the progress bar went all the way to 100% and it said the update was succecssful, and that the system would restart. Wouldn't that be the most important part of the bios update? My screen not getting a signal after the 3rd update reboot, and me resetting my screen should be fine right?

3. Is pressing the CMOS button in the back the same as the restore to defaults options in the bios (load optomized default settings) ?

4. I'm OCD SO I MAY want to do one of the following below. I want to make sure the mobo isn't corrupted or bugged in anyway. Which should I do if I do end up wanting to do this:

a. Press the cmos button in the back of the computer. So from what I understand, I shut down my computer and turn off the PSU switch and unplug it? Press and hold down the cmos button for 5-10 seconds, then start my computer? Is that right?

b. Flash Bios again on my main displayport monitor (so it doesn't hang like the old hdmi monitor which is what I suspect) with the same version.

I apologize for all the questions guys. I'm just really worried that I just damaged my computer. It's a brand new system, I haven't even installed Windows 10 yet as I am not sure what to think right now. Thanks again guys, I appreciate any help you can give me!
4 REPLIES 4

primeshooter
Level 10
Planetgazer11 wrote:
Specs:

Asus Crosshair Dark Hero
AMD Ryzen 5950X
EVGA FT3 3090 Ultra
Samsung 980 Pro 500gb
GSkill Royal 3600MHZ CL18s 32gb (Silver ones)
Seasonic Prime 1000W PSU
NZXT AIO Kraken x63

Hey guys! I just build this computer yesterday and went straight into updating the bios to the newest version without installing windows 10, but I ran into a little problem. I connected my secondary monitor to the new computer (An old HDMI 24" monitor) as my old computer is still using my main monitor.

I updated to the newest bios. The progress bar went to 100% and it said update was successful and that my computer would restart. So it rebooted and I got the normal black screen with text that says "Bios if updating, Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure." It rebooted 2 times to that update screen, and on the third time, my monitor didn't have a signal. My Q-code on the mobo read 0d and the little oranged dram LED light was on. (Sidenote: I built a 10900k system a month ago with the same GPU that is in this system now with the same old HDMI monitor, and it on the first boot, no signal on the monitor also [Don't remember the Qcode])

So I freaked out and just left the computer alone for 30 minutes. I then hit the reset button and It booted up just fine and it went to the black screen with white text:

"Bios if updating, Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure."

After that, I got into the bios with the newest bios version and everything seems okay. I still haven't installed windows 10, I wanted some answers first. I have a few questions. Thanks in advance:

1. Did it fully update ? Could the bios be corrupted because on the third restart for the updates the monitor had no signal.

2. When I was in the bios using the EZ flash Utility, the progress bar went all the way to 100% and it said the update was succecssful, and that the system would restart. Wouldn't that be the most important part of the bios update? My screen not getting a signal after the 3rd update reboot, and me resetting my screen should be fine right?

3. Is pressing the CMOS button in the back the same as the restore to defaults options in the bios (load optomized default settings) ?

4. I'm OCD SO I MAY want to do one of the following below. I want to make sure the mobo isn't corrupted or bugged in anyway. Which should I do if I do end up wanting to do this:

a. Press the cmos button in the back of the computer. So from what I understand, I shut down my computer and turn off the PSU switch and unplug it? Press and hold down the cmos button for 5-10 seconds, then start my computer? Is that right?

b. Flash Bios again on my main displayport monitor (so it doesn't hang like the old hdmi monitor which is what I suspect) with the same version.

I apologize for all the questions guys. I'm just really worried that I just damaged my computer. It's a brand new system, I haven't even installed Windows 10 yet as I am not sure what to think right now. Thanks again guys, I appreciate any help you can give me!

No you haven't damaged it and you don't have to do anything further. Install win 10 and see how you go. I am OCD a little myself, and I know the feeling. The orange ram light is an issue with ryzen and this board for now...

Planetgazer11
Level 7
Hey there thanks for the reply. My issue is, it's fine and it rebooted and finished installing after hitting the reset button:

1a. Did it finish installing properly?
1b. Couldn't I just press the cmos button or flash the bios again with the same version

Couldn't I do one of these above so I wouldn't have to worry about if it was working or not? Just do what I listed on 1b?

Thanks again for the help in advance, I really appreciate it!

Planetgazer11 wrote:
Hey there thanks for the reply. My issue is, it's fine and it rebooted and finished installing after hitting the reset button:

1a. Did it finish installing properly?
1b. Couldn't I just press the cmos button or flash the bios again with the same version

Couldn't I do one of these above so I wouldn't have to worry about if it was working or not? Just do what I listed on 1b?

Thanks again for the help in advance, I really appreciate it!

Does it boot to Bios. Can you screenshot your bios screen with your phone and post it here? If it does this, and the bios works, it's fine. Don't waste any more time. Install windows. If the bios allows you access then don't risk any more faffing about.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Planetgazer,
From you description, the BIOS installation is fine, and if you still have concern about it, you can always flash the same version again manually.
Please also kindly understand that according to the design of this board, the signal start from DP to HDMI then DVI.
And base on different monitor you use, it could wait longer for the monitor to light up.
Thank you.