cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*UNRESOLVED* GX501VI laptop's battery is faulty! (2nd battery failure!)

VixusFoxy
Level 8

What the hell is this?

EDIT: 2018 edition
The problem has returned.
Mod xeromist was so nice as to move my thread back in here.
The best part about ASUS ROG's $4000± Zephyrus GX501 laptops is undeniably, that
[they] [come] [with] [built-in airbags]
which take about 7 to 10 months to deploy. And can not be removed by the user, because that voids the warranty.
But that's an easter egg that ASUS won't admit exists, so don't tell anyone. 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Does the battery life of the the laptop correspond to the what the software indicates? How long does the battery last now (after a full charge)?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Does the battery life of the the laptop correspond to the what the software indicates?

This is the Windows battery management output.
The battery life of the laptop corresponds with those readouts which is what prompted me to analyze it to begine with.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
How long does the battery last now (after a full charge)?

I have just enough time to run with my laptop from the living room to the bedroom and quickly plug it in again.
Which is about a minute or two, tops.
The best part about ASUS ROG's $4000± Zephyrus GX501 laptops is undeniably, that
which take about 7 to 10 months to deploy. And can not be removed by the user, because that voids the warranty.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
x

Hi! It's me.. Again! Back from the dead! 🙂

Last time I was here, 6 whole months ago, I just had gotten a new battery built in and reported the problem was solved.

Well, color me surprised; few months later, and my keyboard is bulging again and battery capacity is again blowing hot chunks.

Here we go again with the bulgy wulgy adventures OwO!

So uh.. what now? Do I have to travel cross country again to bring the laptop back to the store, and then not have it for another month, and then get another battery again, and then inevitably several months later, have it bloat again into an endless cycle?

Asus, can something be done about this please?

Replace my laptop with a working one? Let me upgrade to a later model for extra pay?

Offer me an acceptable solution please!

#bendgate :^)

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please send it in for RMA, the laptop certainly shouldn't last for a couple of minutes.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Please send it in for RMA, the laptop certainly shouldn't last for a couple of minutes.

So I decided to look it on for a few more weeks and I've noticed that my keyboard is bulging.
I'm very curious whether the battery is situated under the keyboard right now.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Really should have somebody look at it soon. Which GX laptop do you have? Zephyrus?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Really should have somebody look at it soon. Which GX laptop do you have? Zephyrus?

That's correct.
GX501VIK

Even on the pictures you can see that the center row on the keyboard is clearly standing convex.

Moving forward with RMA but I can't find the darn receipt!
I did register my hardware though.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ahhh! Doesn't look good... That is indeed where the battery is. If there are any issues getting it RMA'd let us know.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Ahhh! Doesn't look good... That is indeed where the battery is. If there are any issues getting it RMA'd let us know.

Hiya MasterC,

I'm currently underway to the store. It's a 2 hour train journey so I figured I might as well post a status update.
Called the retailer (Alternate) and they told me that I could either send the machine back by mail or actually go to the store and turn it over there with the ability to either get a replacement or a loaner for the time being.

However, what I'm afraid of is that, when the machine comes back from the service center, that the keyboard will still be warped, and that the audio distortion bug that has been plaguing other users will still be present despite the FW / SW updates.

Anyway, we'll see how it all turns out. I'm just admittedly a bit salty about my 3300 euro laptop giving me more trouble than any other machine I've bought before.

Kind regards,
Vix.