cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*UNRESOLVED* GX501VI laptop's battery is faulty! (2nd battery failure!)

VixusFoxy
Level 8

What the hell is this?

EDIT: 2018 edition
The problem has returned.
Mod xeromist was so nice as to move my thread back in here.
The best part about ASUS ROG's $4000± Zephyrus GX501 laptops is undeniably, that
[they] [come] [with] [built-in airbags]
which take about 7 to 10 months to deploy. And can not be removed by the user, because that voids the warranty.
But that's an easter egg that ASUS won't admit exists, so don't tell anyone. 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

VixusFoxy wrote:
Hiya MasterC,

I'm currently underway to the store. It's a 2 hour train journey so I figured I might as well post a status update.
Called the retailer (Alternate) and they told me that I could either send the machine back by mail or actually go to the store and turn it over there with the ability to either get a replacement or a loaner for the time being.

However, what I'm afraid of is that, when the machine comes back from the service center, that the keyboard will still be warped, and that the audio distortion bug that has been plaguing other users will still be present despite the FW / SW updates.

Anyway, we'll see how it all turns out. I'm just admittedly a bit salty about my 3300 euro laptop giving me more trouble than any other machine I've bought before and at this time am even silently hoping that it is beyond saving so I can have my money back and invest it in another device, perhaps even with a bigger screen.

Kind regards,
Vix.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. This is the first time I've heard of this issue, and I have reported it to the manager responsible for the Zephyrus. Please private message me your RMA number when you get it, we will make sure the keyboard isn't warped and check for audio distortion as well.

Status update:

My machine is apparently underway back from ASUS to the Retailer. I'm going to assume they swapped the battery.
Seeing other users reporting this issue now, I am starting to get moderately concerned. If this new battery starts to crap out like the other one did, then I would very much like a refund because the last thing I need is a fire hazard in my house.

We'll see how it goes, I'm going to be keeping my eyes on this.

#bulgegate
The best part about ASUS ROG's $4000± Zephyrus GX501 laptops is undeniably, that
which take about 7 to 10 months to deploy. And can not be removed by the user, because that voids the warranty.

Here we go, fellow adventurers!

Just got my machine back with a new keyboard and a new battery.
Battery stats happily report 50mWh and thus the trials begin.

Can this thread be moved back from whence it came?
Since technical support is no longer required (at this point) I want to keep it open for discussion.

VixusFoxy
Level 8
Any followup?

VixusFoxy wrote:
Any followup?

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact the service center in your region to have the laptop examined, they will have a better idea on how to proceed.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact the service center in your region to have the laptop examined, they will have a better idea on how to proceed.

I have done so.
And then I have started to do some research and have come to the conclusion that ASUS has pushed out a poorly tested products. There are troves of people posting about having this exact same issue with the exact same symptoms in the exact same time frames.

I've curated a small sample of my findings right here

The seller has acknowledged the problem and has sent it back to ASUS for a round 2 of battery replacements.
I can tell you what's going to happen next:

The machine is going to come back, perform OK for a few months, and then this is going to happen again.

A product like this, at this price point, with the keyboard placement where it is, and the battery doing these kind of things, should not be sold period. It's a hazard on so many levels that it baffles me that these machines have not been recalled.

Let's hope I'm wrong, because I'm pushing for a class action lawsuit at this point.

VixusFoxy wrote:
I have done so.
And then I have started to do some research and have come to the conclusion that ASUS has pushed out a poorly tested products. There are troves of people posting about having this exact same issue with the exact same symptoms in the exact same time frames.

I've curated a small sample of my findings right here

The seller has acknowledged the problem and has sent it back to ASUS for a round 2 of battery replacements.
I can tell you what's going to happen next:

The machine is going to come back, perform OK for a few months, and then this is going to happen again.

A product like this, at this price point, with the keyboard placement where it is, and the battery doing these kind of things, should not be sold period. It's a hazard on so many levels that it baffles me that these machines have not been recalled.

Let's hope I'm wrong, because I'm pushing for a class action lawsuit at this point.

In our previous conversation you mentioned that you went through Alternate for an RMA to replace the first battery, did you get an RMA number?
Please check your inbox, we are still waiting for your response.