cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use WOL in Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi)

cse_sohel
Level 7
Hello Everyone,
I am unable to use the Wake on LAN feature in my Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI).
I turned off the fast boot from both bios and OS. Enable Allow computer to turn off this device, Wake this device, magic packet in both ethernet ports. Energy efficient Ethernet, Gigabit lite, Green Ethernet are disabled in both. Power on by PCI-E enabled from BIOS. I tried in both 3702 and 3801 BIOS but no results.
WOL packet delivering properly but the issue is when I shutdown ethernet also turned off (Both ports stop blinking).
Are there any solutions?
19 REPLIES 19

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi cse.sohel,

May I double confirm Energy efficient Ethernet, Gigabit lite, Green Ethernet settings are in windows or bios?
Could you please share the path or a screenshot?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi cse.sohel,

May I double confirm Energy efficient Ethernet, Gigabit lite, Green Ethernet settings are in windows or bios?
Could you please share the path or a screenshot?
Thank you.

In Bios there is one option : Power on by PCI-e and rest of them are from ethernet adapter settings [ via Device manager > Network adapters > adapter properties of both intel and realtek ]

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi cse.sohel,

Thank you for your reply and the screenshot.
Were you not able to WOL while hibernate, sleep mode and after shutdown with the versions below? Did you power off after shutdown and cannot use WOL?
Realtek PCIe 2.5Gbe driver version:10.45.928.2020
Intel I211 driver version: 12.18.11.1
Realtek 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Driver V10.32.1206.2018
Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V12.15.184.1

Our tech team would like to know how you used WOL but failed. May I know more details about it?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi cse.sohel,

Thank you for your reply and the screenshot.
Were you not able to WOL while hibernate, sleep mode and after shutdown with the versions below? Did you power off after shutdown and cannot use WOL?

Our tech team would like to know how you used WOL but failed. May I know more details about it?
Thank you.

First of all ethernet ports are immediately turned off while hibernate/sleep/shutdown. My router log says both ethernet port is down. I tried WOL using third-party software from my other computer, tried from the router (Screenshot added || Router brand: Mikrotik). There is nothing wrong with WOL, the problem is ethernet power off. When this computer is turned on, I captured WOL traffic and the router and other tools sent WOL traffic smoothly. I just change the ethernet driver and boom, everything works. Ethernet port lights are blinking on both router and motherboard port while the computer is shutdown/hybernate/sleep. Even If I turned off the main power and reconnect power, it connects immediately to the router. But in the previous official driver, I didn't power cut from the computer, power was always connected.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi cse.sohel,

Thank you very much for the information.
I'll pass to our tech team for further checking.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi cse.sohel,

Please make sure Enable PME is enable in Device manager > Network adapters > adapter properties>Advanced with the following versions.
However, if it is working fine with the versions below, please keep using these versions.
Intel driver version: 12.18.12.1
Realtek driver version: 10.50.511.2021
Thank you for your feedback.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi cse.sohel,

Please make sure Enable PME is enable in Device manager > Network adapters > adapter properties>Advanced with the following versions.
However, if it is working fine with the versions below, please keep using these versions.
Intel driver version: 12.18.12.1
Realtek driver version: 10.50.511.2021
Thank you for your feedback.

PME is enable in Intel adapter but not found in Realtek

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi cse.sohel,

If there is no issues with Intel driver version 12.18.12.1 and Realtek driver version 10.50.511.2021, in my opinion, it is better for you to keep using these versions.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi cse.sohel,

If there is no issues with Intel driver version 12.18.12.1 and Realtek driver version 10.50.511.2021, in my opinion, it is better for you to keep using these versions.
Thank you.

Hello STARRAIN@ROG,
Thank you. I'm so glad I didn't have to claim a warranty. It takes a minimum of 27 days :rolleyes: