cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThunderboltEX 4 not working with portable usb c display

ripper2020
Level 7
I recently upgraded to an ASUS TUF Gaming B660M-PLUS WiFi D4 LGA 1700 motherboard and purchased the ThunderboltEX 4 pcie card. My main goal for getting the thunderbolt 4 card was to be able to use my portable monitors with my desktop setup. I cannot get it to work - e.g. my ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC does nothing when plugged in - not even turn on or display an led light on the power button.

The card is working as it will detect my phone when plugged in, and charge it. I've tried various other usb peripherals, but it doesn't seem to work with usb-c monitors via DisplayPort alt mode.

I've made sure the TB card is hooked up to my dgpu via the provided displayport cable.

I've tried various usb c and thunderbolt cables.

My same ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC works fine with my laptop via thunderbolt 4 port and same cables.

FYI - I know I can use that particular monitor with standard usb ports, but I have other portable displays that do not work this way.

Any ideas on why this wouldn't work? There aren't a lot of bios options for thunderbolt other than enabling the card and some windows 10 compatibility mode.
2 REPLIES 2

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi ripper2020,
In addition to MB16AC, have you also tried connecting other portable monitors?
Do you use a USB hub or from c to c directly?
Have you updated PD IC Firmware Update Version 1.1 and Intel Thunderbolt Driver V1.41.1193.0 from our support site?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/ThunderboltEX-4/HelpDesk_Downl...
May I have the bios version and bios settings of your motherboard?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi ripper2020,
In addition to MB16AC, have you also tried connecting other portable monitors?
Do you use a USB hub or from c to c directly?
Have you updated PD IC Firmware Update Version 1.1 and Intel Thunderbolt Driver V1.41.1193.0 from our support site?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/ThunderboltEX-4/HelpDesk_Downl...
May I have the bios version and bios settings of your motherboard?
Thank you.

Hi Starrain, I am sorry to interupt, but instructions for TB & PD Firmware Update SUX, theres no way I can upgrade my firmware following the instructions step by step, seems the instructions are very poor or may be for engineers. Is there a way to get a step by step instructions? After following instructions keeps going back to bios and or to windows, the flash disk must be bootable? Any special format? lots of missing info. I would appreciate a hand. TYhank you and sorry..