cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbolt No Longer Working on B550 Pro-Art Creator

darksouls12
Level 8
Hello all,
I have spotted some others with a similar issue after a BIOS update where their Thunderbolt no longer works. I have now tried rolling back to previous drivers without any luck. A reinstall of all drivers and Windows does not yield any results. I do see the Thunderbolt controller in device manager along with the ports in the application. However, no devices such as my UAD Apollo show. I am currently on BIOS version 3002. Support mentioned I have to RMA my board. However, I do not believe this to be the case as I have seen others with a similar issue after BIOS updating. Is there anybody else who may have some insight to this problem?

Thanks so much!
39 REPLIES 39

Yes this is correct, Apollo Twin X is TB3. I didn't see you were using regular non-X Apollo Twin. Sorry for this mistake.

Its ok. @Alvez_ROG any idea what I can do to restore the previous TB4 NVM version either with current or earlier BIOS version please?

Flo
Level 10

Hello,

I'm currently using a B550 Pro-Art Creator updated with Bios v3002 with a thunderbolt Universal Audio Apollo twin X without any issue.

So the issue is probably not the bios?

Kind regards

David18
Level 9

Literally the exact same issue as the OP here, except my interface is a Presonus Quantum TB2.  After updating to bios 3002, nothing's recognised. Thousands paid to build my system a year ago, and without Thunderbolt working, It's useless.  I've tried everything - Any sugesstions would be appreciated.

Feeling your pain @David18 .. The ports should still work with TB3 devices. I specifically built my AMD system with this motherboard to benefit from the TB interface, and it had been working beautifully for a long while, and have since bought a Zephyrus G15 laptop which has also been great. I realise Intel have pushed this onto us in their TB firmware so this is partly caused by them, but Asus did not (and still don't!) inform of this on the motherboard's BIOS update page and I would not have updated my BIOS if it had it done so.

Can we please get a response ASUS? Its not acceptable to be left in this state without being properly informed of what was going to happen with this update. Can you please provide a BIOS update that reverts TB NVM to a version that still accepts TB1/2 devices for those of us who don't want this removal?

Yeah, It's not as if these devices are being discontinued. The Quantum is still being sold for top dollar and has widespread use in the audio community. They should have informed us. I remember the days when updates wouldn't cripple my system lol. 

I've opened a ticket with Asus about this. How long does it normally take for them to respond?

I can't do any work until it's fixed.

Pugliosky
Level 8

hi guys!

I have the same problem. Win 11 clean install with UAD twin MKII TB 3-2 adapter. Worked with win 10.
i updated bios before the clen nstall (3002) then i red that will be problems and i did downgrade (2803). still not working. 
someone solved?
i'm trying different bios setting 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 core, 12 processori logici
American Megatrends Inc. 3002, 01/03/2023
UEFI
ProArt B550-CREATOR
Ram 96,0 GB 3200MHz
Nvidia 1050Ti

If the downgrade to v2803 did not solve the issue it probably means your Thunderbolt NVM firmware is still v36.

In that case maybe flashing again using the Bios Flashback tool would allow the Thunderbolt firmware to be downgraded correctly.

If you want to try this, don't forget as specified by Asus to rename your Bios file properly: "Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (PAB550C.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

Source: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/proart/proart-b550-creator/helpdesk_bios/?...

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/

Kind regards

David18
Level 9

None of the flashback options work unfortunately. The issue is the nvm firmware that came along with bios version 3002. Downgrading the bios doesn't do anything with the TB firmware. Asus have said to me they have to recreate the issue first and see where we go from there. My system has been down for a week now and this is unacceptable. Intel and Asus have questions to answer. I've lost work and clients.

Pugliosky
Level 8

i tried everithing. also install Thunderbolt 3 driver instead 4. nothing. i don't know if asus or intel but someone have to resolve. i started on 1st of May try and try to use.