cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TB not working after BOS upgrade 2204

Hackej
Level 7
Hi!

I have a Z690 Proart Creator WiFi mb connected to a Motu 828ES and a Focusrite 8PreX via Thunderbolt used for music production.
This has been working okay (in Win 10 with BIOS 1720) although quite often with some problems regarding initiation of audio drivers etc.

A couple of days ago I decided to upgrade to BIOS 2204, hoping that TB functionality and stability had improved some, BUT now the audio interfaces are not identified or initiated at all.

Previously it worked if I turned on Motu + Focusrite + computer at the same time, BUT now it doesn't work at all, no matter how I try to start interfaces and computer. The audio interfaces are not recognised or initiated.

- Anyone else experiencing this kind of issue?
I have contacted Tech support regarding this but no reply yet!.

/Hackej
45 REPLIES 45

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, luki12

Please try to manually load the IRST driver for the Raid controller in the device manager (please download it from the official website) and then restart it, and check whether the exclamation mark of PCI Express Root Port #5- 7ABC in the device manager disappears.
In addition, according to the confirmation of relevant departments, generally, the Thunderbolt cannot be detected without a connected device.

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, luki12

Please try to manually load the IRST driver for the Raid controller in the device manager (please download it from the official website) and then restart it, and check whether the exclamation mark of PCI Express Root Port #5- 7ABC in the device manager disappears.
In addition, according to the confirmation of relevant departments, generally, the Thunderbolt cannot be detected without a connected device.

Thank you.

Hi Jiaszzz,

Appreciate you looking into this and for the suggestion. Though I believe there to be more going on than drivers. What I've seen from reading other similar threads seems to point to a BIOS software issue (specifically because everyone reports the issue starting with bios v 2004). If possible please read this comment where I listed a couple tests I did on the issues I'm having with my thunderbolt devices, for example: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131615-TB-not-working-after-BOS-upgrade-2204/page3#post886...

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, luki12

Thank you.

For everyone on this thread, I have tried this on my PC and after installing the latest IRST drivers from Intel, it did not remove any exclamation marks on device manager and Thunderbolt still does not work. I believe it is pretty clear that the case here is due to an issue in the BIOS updates since 2004. The OP was able to move back to BIOS version 1720 (thanks to that bridge customized BIOS) and they stated they no longer have the issue.

I have tried this and all my troubleshooting with multiple different Thunderbolt devices connected.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, Angstromboli.

Thank you for sharing the information.
About the hub, could you provide the Thunderbolt hub brand model and specifications?
For the "hub off" part, does it mean to turn off the Thunderbolt hub? How did you turn it off?
Could you provide an operation video or screenshot so that we can better understand your scenario?

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, Angstromboli.

Thank you for sharing the information.
About the hub, could you provide the Thunderbolt hub brand model and specifications?
For the "hub off" part, does it mean to turn off the Thunderbolt hub? How did you turn it off?
Could you provide an operation video or screenshot so that we can better understand your scenario?

Thank you.

Sure. The Thunderbolt hub's brand is some random one called "Hiearcool", but the device is basically a rebranded QGeem model "TB4 MAX DOCKING STATION (16-IN-1, THUNDERBOLT 4)". There are a few similar named models by QGeem, but mine is the "16-in-1" model.

This hub has a power button on the front to turn it on and off, even with the power cable connected all the time. It has a dedicated DC power cable input in addition to the thunderbolt input.

I've also noticed many WHEA Log events in the event viewer which reference the PCIE #5 device. These events seem to occur whether the hub is in it's 'working' state or not, aka when the device manager shows the yellow error triangle or not.

Below are various screenshot images (while previewing the post, some are showing as links, others are showing in-line with the post for some reason).
----------------------

Hub not showing in thunderbolt control center. In this state, USB 3.0 devices connected to it do not work, only USB 2.0 Devices. This is also when there is the yellow error icon shown on PCIe #5 in device manager.

Hub showing in thunderbolt control center, but only if it is powered off on startup. In this state, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices both work. In this case, PCIe #5 in device manager does NOT show the error icon. Despite it saying "not connected" at the bottom, it works fine.

Showing the PCIe #5 device with the error. Showing the device instance path, which you will see is mentioned in the windows error log as causing many WHEA event 17's in the log.

Showing an other tab of the window while it is in the error / non-working state.

Showing the device manager window where PCIe #5 does not show an error, if the hub was off during startup.

Many WHEA-Logger event 17 entries occurring every few seconds continuously

Info shown for one of the WHEA-Logger event 17 entries

Details shown for one of the WHEA-Logger event 17 entries

luki12
Level 7
Hello

Thanks Jiaszzz@ROG for replay but I see that Asus does not understand the problem at all.

1. I do not know for what purpose I should install the drivers that I already have installed, after all, I wrote earlier that when I reset the computer, it starts working in 90% of cases, I will not install drivers every day when I turn on the computer, it's funny

2. I do not understand this ,,Thunderbolt cannot be detected without a connected device", so windows (device manager) does not detect thunderbolt ports when there are no devices connected to it???? ,or Thunderbolt app, not detected ports 1,2, firmware versions, etc, this is stupid, so windows (device manager) not detected USB ports, because I have no connected devices

Please read what other users are saying in this thread and please say it to Asus, and I know it's unlikely it will be fixed

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, luki12.

Thank you for confirming the details.
However, not only should you install the IRST driver to load Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) in Device Manager,
but also take the following steps:
1. After downloading and installing the driver, go to the Windows Device Manager and select Storage controllers.
2. Find the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) controller",
usually labeled as "Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller," then click on the IRST controller and select "update driver."
3. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software" to*select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" and select the IRST driver.
4. Wait for the driver to be installed, then restart your computer.

In addition to enabling Thunderbolt in the BIOS settings, do you also enable SR-IOV?

Meanwhile, please refer to the link below to execute Clear CMOS again:
>> https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040820
After the completion, please enter the system again and go to Device Manager to check whether there are any devices with exclamation marks.

If the above steps still cannot solve the problem, please provide:
1. An video include the initial page in the Thunderbolt control center, Approve devices, Attached devices, Manage approved devices, and the About page.
2. Images of BIOS>Advanced>Thunderbolt Configuration page and Discrete Thunderbolt (TB) Configuration page

Thank you.

luki12
Level 7

Hello
Thanks Jiaszzz@ROG for replay, but not working. My bios settings and thunderbolt application

luki12
Level 7

When Thunderbolt Working - Thunderbolt application

Angstromboli
Level 9

I will also add some more screenshots in addition to my previous post above. I will point out one strange thing, which is in the "About" tab of the thunderbolt control center, it says PCIe tunneling is disabled, but I have it enabled in the BIOS. Not sure if that is related or a red-herring.

About page in non-working state:

About Not Working.png

About Page in working state:

About Working.png

 BIOS Settings for Thunderbolt menu.

BIOS 1.jpg

BIOS 2.jpg

BIOS 3.jpg