cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TB not working after BOS upgrade 2204

Hackej
Level 7
Hi!

I have a Z690 Proart Creator WiFi mb connected to a Motu 828ES and a Focusrite 8PreX via Thunderbolt used for music production.
This has been working okay (in Win 10 with BIOS 1720) although quite often with some problems regarding initiation of audio drivers etc.

A couple of days ago I decided to upgrade to BIOS 2204, hoping that TB functionality and stability had improved some, BUT now the audio interfaces are not identified or initiated at all.

Previously it worked if I turned on Motu + Focusrite + computer at the same time, BUT now it doesn't work at all, no matter how I try to start interfaces and computer. The audio interfaces are not recognised or initiated.

- Anyone else experiencing this kind of issue?
I have contacted Tech support regarding this but no reply yet!.

/Hackej
45 REPLIES 45

Hackej wrote:
Hi all!

Some update.

After initiating this thread I have had contact with ASUS support and received an adjusted version of 2204 which did not work neither.

I don't think they know what may be the problem, so for me it ended up with a new BIOS version so I could revert back to 1720 again.
They also wanted me to turn in my mb for analysis, but I haven't done that...yet.

So now it works as before, i.e. It works okay in certain situations, but for example not with plug n play.

Hackej

Hello Hackej,

My problem is almost identical to yours but it's with a ROG STRIX Z690-A WIFI D4 motherboard. I have been trying for the past few days to find a way to roll back to a version earlier than BIOS version 2004 (which is the version that appears to break Thunderbolt compatibility for us) but I am not able to roll back at all.

On the BIOS & Firmware page for both our motherboards there is a note under BIOS version 2004 stating "this version does NOT allow rolling back". I actually tried rolling back anyways with EZ Update (on AI Suite 3), EZ Flash on the BIOS, and ultimately by manually using BIOS Flashback with a USB. However, all options fail and I am stuck on this 2004 version. It would help me a lot if you could mention how you were able to downgrade successfully to version 1720.

I get these errors when trying to downgrade.

raugam111 wrote:
Hello Hackej,

My problem is almost identical to yours but it's with a ROG STRIX Z690-A WIFI D4 motherboard. I have been trying for the past few days to find a way to roll back to a version earlier than BIOS version 2004 (which is the version that appears to break Thunderbolt compatibility for us) but I am not able to roll back at all.

On the BIOS & Firmware page for both our motherboards there is a note under BIOS version 2004 stating "this version does NOT allow rolling back". I actually tried rolling back anyways with EZ Update (on AI Suite 3), EZ Flash on the BIOS, and ultimately by manually using BIOS Flashback with a USB. However, all options fail and I am stuck on this 2004 version. It would help me a lot if you could mention how you were able to downgrade successfully to version 1720.

I get these errors when trying to downgrade.

Hi raugam111!

I got a customised (bridge) version in order to downgrade back to 1720 through my local ASUS support here in Sweden.

I suggest you contact them to see if you can get the same version which also makes it possible for them to monitor the cases regarding BIOS and report back to main office.
I have contacted them regarding other issues so they are forwarned!!

servicecenter_emea@asus.com

/Hackej

Hackej wrote:
Hi raugam111!

I got a customised (bridge) version in order to downgrade back to 1720 through my local ASUS support here in Sweden.

I suggest you contact them to see if you can get the same version which also makes it possible for them to monitor the cases regarding BIOS and report back to main office.

/Hackej

Hi Hackej,

Thank you so much for your response. This is super helpful to me. I just reached out to the email you provided and now I know that something like this is possible/exists. It gives me hope that I can soon get my hands on a similar customized (bridge) version of the BIOS that will allow me to roll back so I can continue working with my thunderbolt devices.

I'm in the United States and on my ASUS support ticket so far I have only been receiving instructions on how to update my BIOS or how to install the ThunderboltEX 4 card. I can hopefully now make a specific request for this with them now.

Hackej wrote:
Hi raugam111!

/Hackej

Hello Hackej,

Sorry to bother again, I am having a hard time getting the ASUS support team to understand my request for a "customized (bridge)" BIOS version that would allow me to roll back. They keep sending me either instructions on how to use EZ Flash, a link to the download the original BIOS versions (which don't allow rolling back as we know), and asking to RMA if those don't work.

Just to be sure, the bridge BIOS you were sent a customized 2204 version or was it a customized 1720 version. I just want to make sure I can be more specific in my request to ASUS support.

Also, if it's not too much trouble. Do you have an email for the local Sweden ASUS support team that helped you? Perhaps they can provide me with a solution and the BIOS for my motherboard.

Thank you so much. I work with music and depend on my computer's thunderbolt functionality. So you're help will with this will really put me back on track.

I really appreciate it.

raugam111 wrote:
Hello Hackej,

Sorry to bother again, I am having a hard time getting the ASUS support team to understand my request for a "customized (bridge)" BIOS version that would allow me to roll back. They keep sending me either instructions on how to use EZ Flash, a link to the download the original BIOS versions (which don't allow rolling back as we know), and asking to RMA if those don't work.

Just to be sure, the bridge BIOS you were sent a customized 2204 version or was it a customized 1720 version. I just want to make sure I can be more specific in my request to ASUS support.

Also, if it's not too much trouble. Do you have an email for the local Sweden ASUS support team that helped you? Perhaps they can provide me with a solution and the BIOS for my motherboard.

Thank you so much. I work with music and depend on my computer's thunderbolt functionality. So you're help will with this will really put me back on track.

I really appreciate it.

Hi raugam!

Sorry for late reply.

As I understood it, the BIOS I got was based on 1720 thus making it possible for me to revert back to a "1720 like BIOS".

So now TB works okay for my Motu and Focusite interfaces, although they need to be turned on prior to boot and they never turn up in Thunderbolt Control Center.

I thought that the email I included in may prior reply (see below) was/is to the local swedish servce center, did you try it?
Did you end up in US service center anyways?

I will try to contact them again to see if I can get another "local" email address.

/Hackej

Hackej wrote:
Hi raugam!

Sorry for late reply.

As I understood it, the BIOS I got was based on 1720 thus making it possible for me to revert back to a "1720 like BIOS".

So now TB works okay for my Motu and Focusite interfaces, although they need to be turned on prior to boot and they never turn up in Thunderbolt Control Center.

I thought that the email I included in may prior reply (see below) was/is to the local swedish servce center, did you try it?
Did you end up in US service center anyways?

I will try to contact them again to see if I can get another "local" email address.

/Hackej

Hello Hackej, thank you so much for getting back to me. I truly appreciate it.

I had initially thought the BIOS version was an alternative 2204 BIOS version that unlocked downgrading but now it's clear that wasn't the case, thank you for clarifying. If ASUS support is able to provide me with a similar BIOS version, I hope 1720 works for me because I made the mistake of jumping from version 1304 to 2204 (so I am not entirely sure if Thunderbolt will work for me in 1720 - although it sounds like it should). In BIOS version 1304, I was able to use Thunderbolt with the devices showing up on Thunderbolt Control Center. Hot-plugging worked for all devices except the UAD Apollo Twin X which as you had mentioned I also had to have it turned on before booting my PC for it to be recognized.

I wonder if ASUS support would be able to create a customized BIOS 1304 version for me (since I believe that may be ideal in my case but at the same time the 1720 version might work for me as well, I just don't know). I'm guessing this modified 1720 BIOS does not allow for downgrading further either.

I did try the email you provided and initially was not able to get in contact but I was recently able to and I believe I may be speaking with a team that seems to be aware of this customized bridge BIOS. They mentioned they are contacting the "main office" regarding my issue and are still requesting some more information regarding my problem. One agent mentioned that it may take some time but they will try to get me this BIOS (so I really do hope I can get a hold of it).

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, luki12 and painless6505.

Could you share the following information with me so I can provide relevant departments with a clearer background on the occurrence of problems?
- the content of the setting in BIOS (or whether it is the default), the OS version, and the OS build
- the brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, GPU, and PSU currently installed
- screenshots of any relevant error messages or notifications
- the relevant driver versions

Thank you.

luki12
Level 7
Hello Jiaszzz@ROG thanks for response

I don't any thunderbolt device - i discover this problem and i dont know if exist before, but when i install new cpu, update bios to 2204 and intel me, install clean windows i wanted to see in device manager if i install all drivers correct and now i discover this problem, so i don't know if exist before this because i not open device manager barely. and this problem exist random - I few times power up and is ok, but random when i power up PC this problem exist

Device manager Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #5 - 7ABC - this device cannot start An ACPI power object failed to transition state and i don't see in device manager Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 and in app thunderbolt i don't see 2 thunderbolt port 1 and 2
When i reboot windows almost always but several times reboot not help
and this is rare but few times Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #5 - 7ABC work normal and i don't see in device manager Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 and in app thunderbolt i don't see 2 thunderbolt port 1 and 2, and this pro

Settings in bios. When i install windows and cpu i reset to default state, and only settings i have change is:
Advanced/ Platform Misc Configuration/ Native ASPM i change to Eneable because i have problem https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130674-Asus-Z690I-ITX-M2_2-idle-high-temperature
because i have a problem with idle m2_2 nvme disk temperature crucial p5 plus 500gb bios 0811 is ok but 2004 occur this problem and 2204 exist with temperature, i set this option disable and this same with thunderbolt
XMP II to 6000 and i manually set 6400 cl 38
disable sata ports, fan speed, and secure boot to default windows
i tried change fast boot to disable, but this same with thunderbolt, and i tried disable fast startup in windows 11 but this same.
Windows 11 Home 22621.1265

2. Intel Core I7 13700K, Asus Z690I ITX motherboard, 2x16 GB Kingston Fury KF560C40-16 ddr5 6000mhz ( i set this to XMP and manualy set the speed to 6400 and cl 38 no other setting in ram), Asus RTX 3080 12 GB TUF, Seasonic prime TX 650 Titanum

3 The driver i updated in actual in support page in Asus site. Thunderbolt drive i have 1.41.1193.0 but i update it to MoKiChU 1.41.1340.0 and this same ( then i install again windows and install drive in the support page) I have latest intel ME, update firmware PD to 005

Thank you and I have a petition if you could also see what I wrote about this temperature ssd in idle i think maybe this is another bug in UEFI
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130674-Asus-Z690I-ITX-M2_2-idle-high-temperature

Pictured Thunderbolt 97411 97412 97413 97414

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, luki12

Thank you for provide such detail information.
May I also have an image of the BIOS main page, the ME firmware version?
If possible, please connect any Thunderbolt device to test for the problem, and if so, please clarify the device's brand, model, and driver version.

Thank you.

luki12
Level 7
Hello, sorry but i don't have any thunderbolt device

picture 1 is the main bios page 97453