cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TB not working after BOS upgrade 2204

Hackej
Level 7
Hi!

I have a Z690 Proart Creator WiFi mb connected to a Motu 828ES and a Focusrite 8PreX via Thunderbolt used for music production.
This has been working okay (in Win 10 with BIOS 1720) although quite often with some problems regarding initiation of audio drivers etc.

A couple of days ago I decided to upgrade to BIOS 2204, hoping that TB functionality and stability had improved some, BUT now the audio interfaces are not identified or initiated at all.

Previously it worked if I turned on Motu + Focusrite + computer at the same time, BUT now it doesn't work at all, no matter how I try to start interfaces and computer. The audio interfaces are not recognised or initiated.

- Anyone else experiencing this kind of issue?
I have contacted Tech support regarding this but no reply yet!.

/Hackej
45 REPLIES 45

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, luki12.

Thank you for the confirmation.
I will consult with the relevant team and update you again.

Thank you.

Angstromboli
Level 9
Copying my post from another thread:

Exact same problem with the "Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #5 - 7ABC" and thunderbolt issues.

I have a thunderbolt hub that was working fine with my Maximus Extreme z690 and 12900k. I upgraded to a 13900KS and now the hub has been going haywire.

USB 2.0 devices seem to work fine in it, but no USB 3.0 devices show up. Strangely, I do have a USB 3.2 hub plugged into it, and USB 2.0 devices plugged into that also work, but again, not USB 3.0 devices.

Also, in the thunderbolt control center, the Thunderbolt hub does not show up when these issues are occurring. On RARE occasions it will appear in the control center as connected, and in that case the hub works fine, including USB 3.0 devices. I am getting so annoyed.

I've tried every BIOS setting I can think of to no avail. Anecdotally, every other thread describing this issue seems to be from people with 13th Gen CPUs on z690 boards.

I am on a Z690 Maximus Extreme.

Also, now that I think of it, while in my quoted post above I mention it sometimes rarely works, after trying to upgrade from Bios 2103 to 2204, now on 2204 I don't think thunderbolt has worked correctly at any point.

All thunderbolt, Intel ME driver and firmware versions are the latest. But it was doing this even before installing those latest versions.

Intel ME Interface: 2251.4.2.0
ME FW Version: 16.1.25.2091

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, luki12.

Kindly connect to a device that supports Thunderbolt 4 to verify that the port functions.
And please test whether the yellow exclamation mark still appears in device management by configuring the default BIOS settings.

Thank you.

luki12
Level 7
Hello, I don't have any thunderbolt device, only one device i have that have usb c is Ibasso DC03 (this is sound card, normal usb device not thunderbolt), so when the device manager show problem with the PCI Express Root Port #5 - 7ABC, this device Ibasso DC03 is detected correct in device manager. Yes, i earlier reset to default bios.

Angstromboli
Level 9
I may have found a workaround after reading posts in other threads.

For me at least, my Thunderbolt hub seems to be working mostly normally as long as it is turned off when the computer boots.

If I open the Thunderbolt control center, the hub shows up, though strangely it still says "Connection Status: Not Connected", even though any devices connected to it seem to work fine. Before, it wouldn't show up at all. When doing this workaround, the PCIe Root Port #5 thing does not show the error in Device Manager.

I tested a few different scenarios:
• Hub off during cold boot (from power supply off / unplugged) and turned on after Windows boot = Works
• Hub on during Windows shutdown, but turned off during startup, and only turned on after Windows boots = Works
• Hub on during shutdown, and on during startup and Windows boot = Fails as with the PCIe #5 thing

After a fail occurs:
• Hub on during shutdown, but turned off before startup, and turned on after Windows boots = Works again

Therefore for me at least, my Hub will apparently work so long as it is turned off before startup and Windows boot.

Edit: I will mention that in my case, the thunderbolt is built into my Maximus Extreme Z690 motherboard, not a separate PCIe card, so not sure if this will apply to everyone. Another user specifically stated that this didn't work for their discrete thunderbolt PCIe expansion card.

Also for me, the thunderbolt on my computer is behaving in a strangely specific way as I mentioned in another post. Basically when the hub is in the "broken" state, it can see any USB 2.0 devices, but no USB 3.0+ devices. Strangely, this includes it being able to see USB 2.0 devices that are plugged into a USB 3.2 Hub that is plugged into the thunderbolt hub, but again, no USB 3.0 devices are detected when plugged into the USB 3.2 hub. (I believe this may be because, from my understanding, USB 3 hubs also come with separate internal hardware for both USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices, so I'm guessing the USB 2.0 aspect of it works but the USB 3.0 doesn't like the other USB 2.0 devices).

Angstromboli wrote:
I may have found a workaround after reading posts in other threads.

For me at least, my Thunderbolt hub seems to be working mostly normally as long as it is turned off when the computer boots.

If I open the Thunderbolt control center, the hub shows up, though strangely it still says "Connection Status: Not Connected", even though any devices connected to it seem to work fine. Before, it wouldn't show up at all. When doing this workaround, the PCIe Root Port #5 thing does not show the error in Device Manager.

I tested a few different scenarios:
• Hub off during cold boot (from power supply off / unplugged) and turned on after Windows boot = Works
• Hub on during Windows shutdown, but turned off during startup, and only turned on after Windows boots = Works
• Hub on during shutdown, and on during startup and Windows boot = Fails as with the PCIe #5 thing

After a fail occurs:
• Hub on during shutdown, but turned off before startup, and turned on after Windows boots = Works again

Therefore for me at least, my Hub will apparently work so long as it is turned off before startup and Windows boot.

Thanks for sharing this Angstromboli, I tried it just now but it does not work for me. I don't event see the ports of my thunderbolt card on the Thunderbolt Control Center app and the devices don't work regardless. It seems that for me the card isn't even recognized.

I'll mention one strange thing that did work for me me but only temporarily. I tried downgrading my BIOS version to 2103 from 2204 and then I tried upgrading BIOS version back to 2204, all while my thunderbolt devices were on and connected. This somehow made a difference because I finally saw the ports appear in Thunderbolt Control Center, no error in device manager, and it was all working correctly. I momentarily thought it had resolved my problem. I restarted my device to see if it still worked and then it turned on back with the deivce manager errors and no tunderbolt. Doesn't work if I turn the computer on with my thunderbolt devices on or off. But then I tried it again to test. I downgraded and upgraded again with thunderbolt devices on and connected and I was able to ge the same result. Works on the first boot after upgrade to BIOS 2204 but thunderbolt error reappears on restart and then stays unless I try to downgade/upgrade again. So the fix lasts only one boot after BIOS upgrade to 2204... super strange. Seems like its BIOS related for me.

Angstromboli
Level 9
One weird thing I've noticed is that even though I've installed the Intel Chipset drivers v10.1.19263.8344, which has raptorlake drivers inside (RaptorLakeSystem.inf or RaptorLakePCH-SSystem.inf) at v10.1.49.6, when I look in the device manager and sort by Driver, they are listed as using "alderlakepch-ssystem.inf" which are only 10.1.37.7 when you go to their properties. Wonder what the deal is with that.

I know that the latest chipset drivers v10.1.19284.8351 break the system on 13th gen, so perhaps when Intel finally fixes that and releases a new chipset driver this will be fixed?

I actually tried manually extracting out the RaptorLakePCH-SSystem.inf drivers from the installer and force installed them onto the 'PCIe #5' device, but it didn't seem to help. Also deleted the alderlake drivers and only kept the raptorlake ones using DriverStoreExplorer, but it wasn't using the raptorlake drivers, all the devices just showed up as generic PCIe devices.

I'm thinking this might be at least partly an Intel driver issue and their drivers just aren't working, and we'll have to wait for them to release the next version of the chipset drivers.

Angstromboli wrote:
One weird thing I've noticed is that even though I've installed the Intel Chipset drivers v10.1.19263.8344, which has raptorlake drivers inside (RaptorLakeSystem.inf or RaptorLakePCH-SSystem.inf) at v10.1.49.6, when I look in the device manager and sort by Driver, they are listed as using "alderlakepch-ssystem.inf" which are only 10.1.37.7 when you go to their properties. Wonder what the deal is with that.

I know that the latest chipset drivers v10.1.19284.8351 break the system on 13th gen, so perhaps when Intel finally fixes that and releases a new chipset driver this will be fixed?

I actually tried manually extracting out the RaptorLakePCH-SSystem.inf drivers from the installer and force installed them onto the 'PCIe #5' device, but it didn't seem to help. Also deleted the alderlake drivers and only kept the raptorlake ones using DriverStoreExplorer, but it wasn't using the raptorlake drivers, all the devices just showed up as generic PCIe devices.

I'm thinking this might be at least partly an Intel driver issue and their drivers just aren't working, and we'll have to wait for them to release the next version of the chipset drivers.

Hello Angstromboli, do you have a 13th or 12th gen CPU? I have a 12th gen CPU and have a similar issue and I am not sure which gen CPU OP has. Do you think what you mention about the chipset drivers would apply to 12th gen CPUs as well?

For me all this started when updating the BIOS to version 2004. 2103 and 2204, have not fix this issue since for me.

raugam111 wrote:
Hello Angstromboli, do you have a 13th or 12th gen CPU? I have a 12th gen CPU and have a similar issue and I am not sure which gen CPU OP has. Do you think what you mention about the chipset drivers would apply to 12th gen CPUs as well?

For me all this started when updating the BIOS to version 2004. 2103 and 2204, have not fix this issue since for me.

I am using a 13th gen processor, specifically a 13900KS on a Maximus Extreme Z690 board. If you're on 12th gen then perhaps then that suggests that the BIOS truly is the problem. I would read some of the other posts in this thread where they talk about contacting support for a "bridge" bios version that apparently lets you downgrade to a version prior to bios 2004.

I haven't tried it yet but might if they don't release a new bios soon. It's been over 3 months since the last version, which is the longest they've gone between BIOS updates.

Angstromboli wrote:
I am using a 13th gen processor, specifically a 13900KS on a Maximus Extreme Z690 board. If you're on 12th gen then perhaps then that suggests that the BIOS truly is the problem. I would read some of the other posts in this thread where they talk about contacting support for a "bridge" bios version that apparently lets you downgrade to a version prior to bios 2004.

I haven't tried it yet but might if they don't release a new bios soon. It's been over 3 months since the last version, which is the longest they've gone between BIOS updates.

I have requested the bridge BIOS but haven't been able to get a hold of it yet. I hope there is a BIOS update soon too, I was also thinking maybe they fix this issue on a newer version. I have my fingers crossed that there will be one up soon that addresses this.