cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

Blake1
Level 10
Dear all Strix RTX 3090 users,
If you have encountered the fan vibration issue.
Please kindly PM me below information. (All are required)
1.Full name
2.Current Location( country/region)
3.email or phone number
4. product serial number
We are trying to provide solution on this but need to prepare them first then we will reach out to you.
Thank you so much.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Dear all Strix RTX 3090 users,
If you have encountered the fan vibration issue.
Please kindly PM me below information. (All are required)
1.Full name
2.Current Location( country/region)
3.email or phone number
4. product serial number
We are trying to provide solution on this but need to prepare them first then we will reach out to you.
Thank you so much.

Hi Blake,

Can 3080 Strix users send you this information as well?

Thanks,

Chris

No, I've send him a message and he told me to open a new Thread for the 3080. I will do so in a few minutes. I also have exactly the same issues.

EDIT: @drkCrix see here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121556-Strix-RTX-3080-Fan-vibration-issues-and-scratches-o...

JustinN
Level 8
I now suspect GPU sagging to be the cause of the rattling. The noise can be clearly reduced to zero / almost zero by lifting the far end of the GPU up a bit with a finger (in my case, at least). I'm receiving a height adjustable GPU strut tomorrow and will post my findings after installing.

@Blake, see PM.

JustinN
Level 8
Update: the strut does seem to relieve vibration on one side of the shroud but it is replaced by vibration of the other side, caused by the left fan. All in all i suspect loose shroud placement is to blame. I'll try tonight if I can tighten the screws.

JustinN
Level 8
Small update: I put my case flat and stress-tested the card vertical: no more rattling. Unfortunately this card is so big I can't even mount it vertical as it would hit my CPU cooler. Hope Asus comes with a solution soon as the disappointment after 2 months of waiting on the card and then encountering this... is massive.

**UPDATE**

I'm not sure what finally did it, but on November 24th I was contacted by asus over the phone and they gave me the option to use their Advance Replacement Program. I didn't even know that such a program existed. I allowed them to put a hold on a credit card and they sent me a new card, allowing me 14 days to send mine back. Once I got the card it wasn't in a retail box, but was packaged nicely and had the protective film on the light bar that was missing from my retail card. Card ran a tad cooler and clocks were just as good. I sent mine back the same day. They've since recieved it and dropped the hold on my card. New card has no fan issues so I'm happy now. I'm not sure what qualified me for the advance replacement. Maybe I complained enough.
We should make a list of all the people who's retail card didn't have film on the light bar, and then what retailers we got these from. Good luck to all and I hope your situations are resolved as well!

XskullbangerX wrote:
**UPDATE**

I'm not sure what finally did it, but on November 24th I was contacted by asus over the phone and they gave me the option to use their Advance Replacement Program. I didn't even know that such a program existed. I allowed them to put a hold on a credit card and they sent me a new card, allowing me 14 days to send mine back. Once I got the card it wasn't in a retail box, but was packaged nicely and had the protective film on the light bar that was missing from my retail card. Card ran a tad cooler and clocks were just as good. I sent mine back the same day. They've since recieved it and dropped the hold on my card. New card has no fan issues so I'm happy now. I'm not sure what qualified me for the advance replacement. Maybe I complained enough.
We should make a list of all the people who's retail card didn't have film on the light bar, and then what retailers we got these from. Good luck to all and I hope your situations are resolved as well!

What was the phone number that asus contacted you with it atleast, or the area code if you do not want to share it? When did you contact Blake? I still have not received a call or email yet, just a reply from Blake stating that they'll be in contact with me.

funk3r wrote:
What was the phone number that asus contacted you with it atleast, or the area code if you do not want to share it? When did you contact Blake? I still have not received a call or email yet, just a reply from Blake stating that they'll be in contact with me.

There is quite a few of us that still didn't receive any further info from either Blake or Asus itself, so let's hope that this is a good sign and things are moving in the right direction:)

Megascrypt wrote:
There is quite a few of us that still didn't receive any further info from either Blake or Asus itself, so let's hope that this is a good sign and things are moving in the right direction:)

I don't know if it was a result of Blake's involvement or not.
I also left an unfavorable review on Newegg. I wanted to update it as well, but the strix 3090 isn't listed there at the moment.

The guy told me I could reach them at the number below..
Proactive Care: 510 257 7780 (Mon-Fri, 9 am to 6 pm PST)