cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

kinnunentuomas wrote:
I have a Strix 3070 with this same issue, mine manifests with the left most fan when fan speeds are :

• < 40% which produces a rattling sound every two seconds or so
  • > 65% which produces a constant rattling sound

Pressing down on any point of the shroud doesn't help, but tilting the whole case 45 degrees or just putting it on it's side makes the card completely silent. Aside from the fan noise obviously. So in my case a horizontal mount would probably help but my case doesn't allow this so I can't try.

I did contact Asus, but as I'm in the EU they want me to send it to the reseller who directly told me almost all RMA's result in refunds so feck that as the card works fine, it's just shoddily put together. I'm mitigating the issue with a fan profile which skips the problematic ranges and will probably open the card at some point to see what's up. I did find a forum post on some other forum where a gentleman opened his card to find the fan mounting screws were almost all not tightened completely and after doing that the card worked completely silently. A sample size of one, I know, but might as give it a shot.

Which forum you saw from regarding the fan screw ?

Is there a step by step guide how do i open up to tighten it ?

sookainian wrote:
Which forum you saw from regarding the fan screw ?

Is there a step by step guide how do i open up to tighten it ?

I couldn't find the link again, but there were no instructions on disassembly. You can probably find those elsewhere, probably just keep removing screws until stuff comes apart while minding the cable connectors.

Edit: Found it, there were other issues as well and some steps documented, good read: https://www.overclock.net/threads/strix-3080-fan-rattle.1777594/

kinnunentuomas wrote:
I couldn't find the link again, but there were no instructions on disassembly. You can probably find those elsewhere, probably just keep removing screws until stuff comes apart while minding the cable connectors.

Edit: Found it, there were other issues as well and some steps documented, good read: https://www.overclock.net/threads/strix-3080-fan-rattle.1777594/

So I just opened up my 3090OC to re-paste it and install new thermal pads. I also figured, I'll crack the shroud apart per the post above. I tightened all the screws down, re-positioned the cable, and now my vibration is eliminated. pretty easy DYI for anyone who wants to check it out. I ran the card through 5% increment fan speeds from 30%-100% and the sound has been eliminated.

funk3r wrote:
So I just opened up my 3090OC to re-paste it and install new thermal pads. I also figured, I'll crack the shroud apart per the post above. I tightened all the screws down, re-positioned the cable, and now my vibration is eliminated. pretty easy DYI for anyone who wants to check it out. I ran the card through 5% increment fan speeds from 30%-100% and the sound has been eliminated.

I'll give this a try...
My RTX3090 does this rattling noise and it's probably caused by the very same issue: loose fan screws and tape.

Do I have to remove all the screws on both sides to fix the noise (loose screws and tape brushing) or only the screws on the fans side?
I'd like to minimize the dismount as much as possible.
I don't want to change the thermal pad/paste...
Just fix the noise 🙂

Brume wrote:
I'll give this a try...
My RTX3090 does this rattling noise and it's probably caused by the very same issue: loose fan screws and tape.

Do I have to remove all the screws on both sides to fix the noise (loose screws and tape brushing) or only the screws on the fans side?
I'd like to minimize the dismount as much as possible.
I don't want to change the thermal pad/paste...
Just fix the noise 🙂

I used this reddit post as a guide.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/mo6s9o/3090_strix_teardown_pad_mod_15c/?utm_source=sha...

unfortunately, if you do this mod, you'll have to re-paste the card at the minimum. If the thermal pads are still useable, then you can just slap them back on, but the paste will have to redone before you put it back together. I'm also sure this may void warranty?

Honestly, if you're going through the process of fixing the fan, you may as well re-paste it. My temps are great after the re-paste and I'm able to get a bit better performance with the OC.

funk3r wrote:
I used this reddit post as a guide.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/mo6s9o/3090_strix_teardown_pad_mod_15c/?utm_source=sha...

unfortunately, if you do this mod, you'll have to re-paste the card at the minimum. If the thermal pads are still useable, then you can just slap them back on, but the paste will have to redone before you put it back together. I'm also sure this may void warranty?

Honestly, if you're going through the process of fixing the fan, you may as well re-paste it. My temps are great after the re-paste and I'm able to get a bit better performance with the OC.

I don't want to re-paste, just want to fix the fan noise...
My temps are already quite good (65°C full load)...
Is it easy to just access the fan screws and wrongly positionned tape ?

Thank you.

KR

Brume wrote:
I don't want to re-paste, just want to fix the fan noise...
My temps are already quite good (65°C full load)...
Is it easy to just access the fan screws and wrongly positionned tape ?

Thank you.

KR

No, if you take this a part, you will have to repaste.

Blake@ROG wrote that they are trying to find another solution for me. For an EU customer. Czech customer. So I hope they could possibly make some DIY kit / video or permit to return the card directly to ASUS for repair.
If it has something to do with loose screews then it cannot be so tricky to repair. I think "Warranty Void If removed" sticker is now the main problem for DIY 🙂

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hi EU users,
Sorry for the confusion. due to the sales condition and local regulation, things are more complicated for you.
Some of you can not send the device to repair yourself, and must go through seller.
And for some sellers, they do not send the product to repair one by one, or repair might they much longer as they expected,
so they provide replacement or refund to you instead.
Or even in some region, they don't do repair, only refund.
Everyone is facing different condition.
Seems like that's the issue for you now. I'm really sorry about this.
All bad cards will go to our factory for centralized repair, I recorded your case to make sure there is enough parts to repair.
If you have other concern regarding replacement, refund or repair, please PM me the detail.
Your feedback have been reported for further improvement.
Thank you.

I would advice anyone in the EU to check their rights as a consumer. I have been in contact with the Dutch consumer law department and have explained my situation. In my case Asus only took 1 week to say that they could not repair my card (witch is some nonsense excuse we all can agree on here) and refunded it to the seller knowing that the prices have gone up significantly and they would make extra profit reselling the card instead of providing the customer service deserved and repair the card. Or any other solution at all. They agreed that this sounds really weird and have started an investigation and if this leads to what I suspect Asus is doing then they would have some explanation to do. I would advice anyone that has send their card in for RMA and has got an silly excuse that they could not repair this to look up their rights and take action according to the law in their country.

Eismc2a wrote:
I would advice anyone in the EU to check their rights as a consumer. I have been in contact with the Dutch consumer law department and have explained my situation. In my case Asus only took 1 week to say that they could not repair my card (witch is some nonsense excuse we all can agree on here) and refunded it to the seller knowing that the prices have gone up significantly and they would make extra profit reselling the card instead of providing the customer service deserved and repair the card. Or any other solution at all. They agreed that this sounds really weird and have started an investigation and if this leads to what I suspect Asus is doing then they would have some explanation to do. I would advice anyone that has send their card in for RMA and has got an silly excuse that they could not repair this to look up their rights and take action according to the law in their country.

Let me know how this goes for you. My situation is I have been advised to send card to Czech repair shop at my own cost. Have been assured card is fixable re: fan vibration, but I have a stuter issue also and afraid of a refund. Surely Asus as a company should cover postage costs due to poor quality control and a widespread issue, and should have a selection of cards reserved for repair-failed replacements.