cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

JronMasteR wrote:
Also took mine apart. All the screws and from the cooler to the shroud were loose. I tightened them.

And the most impressive thing... my Hot Spot temperature was 105°C when the gpu temp was 72°C.
Now after repasting, the Hot Spot temp is down 10-15°C.

Never going to buy an ASUS GPU again

Shame that voids the warranty but glad you solved your issue. I'd love to know if ASUS improved their quality control for the TI release. Like you, never buying an ASUS GPU again

olearyd7 wrote:
Shame that voids the warranty but glad you solved your issue. I'd love to know if ASUS improved their quality control for the TI release. Like you, never buying an ASUS GPU again

I don't think it voids the warranty. The card just comes with a tamper sticker but this does not mean that you are not allowed to repaste it.
It would be a complete joke...
GPU's need to be cleaned and maintained. I always repaste every GPU I buy.

gooper23
Level 7
Earlier this year I sent my Strix 3090 in for the fan rattling issue. I was sent a new card as a replacement.

This card worked fine until about a month ago now. It started developing the same rattling issues as my first card. I thought about doing the "fix" where you stick paper under the shroud and against the heatsink but the new card is actually slightly different. The shroud is actually slightly elevated off the heatsink with washers so it'd take a huge chunk of material to "lift" the shroud up.

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. This card is actually a monster of an overclocker and I doubt I'll get anything as good as this one.

gooper23 wrote:
Earlier this year I sent my Strix 3090 in for the fan rattling issue. I was sent a new card as a replacement.

This card worked fine until about a month ago now. It started developing the same rattling issues as my first card. I thought about doing the "fix" where you stick paper under the shroud and against the heatsink but the new card is actually slightly different. The shroud is actually slightly elevated off the heatsink with washers so it'd take a huge chunk of material to "lift" the shroud up.

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. This card is actually a monster of an overclocker and I doubt I'll get anything as good as this one.

Hello gooper,
Please kindly PM me the product SN.
It would be great if you still have the SN of the previous card as well.
Thank you.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello gooper,
Please kindly PM me the product SN.
It would be great if you still have the SN of the previous card as well.
Thank you.

Hi Blake, I have sent you a message with the requested information.

edit: Been 2 weeks since I messaged Blake the information he asked for. Since then not a single reply back. If he ever messages me back I'll update this.

MrHDR
Level 7
I know this isn't really related, but i've had 3 3090 strix oc cards (2 replacements because of the fan issue) and my "newest" 3090 completely died on me this week after about 10 months, while gaming the system just shut off and refused to boot with the card connected (tested this on 3 completely different systems with the same symptoms, a brief flicker of the rgb leds and then a click from the psu) it's under warranty but the amount of issues with a card that currently goes for 2947 USD in my country is ridiculous, i've shipped the card back to the store i bought it from, and i'm waiting for them to hopefully replace it (a refund would screw me over, considering the card has gone up a lot in price since release)

Edit: Asus won't replace the card just refund, but the place i bought it from offered a 3090 TUF OC, which kinda sucks but it's better than nothing.