cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

Eismc2a wrote:
I would advice anyone in the EU to check their rights as a consumer. I have been in contact with the Dutch consumer law department and have explained my situation. In my case Asus only took 1 week to say that they could not repair my card (witch is some nonsense excuse we all can agree on here) and refunded it to the seller knowing that the prices have gone up significantly and they would make extra profit reselling the card instead of providing the customer service deserved and repair the card. Or any other solution at all. They agreed that this sounds really weird and have started an investigation and if this leads to what I suspect Asus is doing then they would have some explanation to do. I would advice anyone that has send their card in for RMA and has got an silly excuse that they could not repair this to look up their rights and take action according to the law in their country.

Hello Eismc2a,
May you share the purchase invoice with me in PM and I will consult with Sales team simultaneously.
I have reported your opinion and I hope that there is other solution for you.
Thank you.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello Eismc2a,
May you share the purchase invoice with me in PM and I will consult with Sales team simultaneously.
Thank you.

Hi Blake,
I've the exact same issue with my ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3090 O24G GAMING.
I bought it in January but was only able to complete my build last week...
And then I heard this "rattling" sound.
I contacted my reseller (LDLC, France) but they can do nothing about it except allow me to return the card (I sent them a video clearly showing the issue) but they were unable to tell me what would be the next step...
Repair, refund, replace ????
I bought this RTX 3090 for 2000€.
Now the price is 2700€ with no availability btw.
So there si no good option but waiting.
Could you help ?
Many thanx

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello Eismc2a,
Thank you.

So just for everyone's information. Blake couldn't do anything for me as I was afraid of. Here is his reply:

Hello Eismc2a,
Well...it's the same as I sated in the public thread.
In some region, refund are provided in the first place.
This kind of method has been ongoing for years, and customers prefer this way as it is a lot more efficient.
But due to lack of stock this 2 years, people like you do not want refund anymore.
You may contact the seller to see if they can give the repaired card back to you and cancel your oder.
Thank you.

He is confirming here that Asus does not repair but refund the cards, still he is telling people to RMA their card. Again not according to the European consumer law. I contacted my seller and they have not received my repaired card .....probably sold to someone else for a higher price.

Eismc2a wrote:
So just for everyone's information. Blake couldn't do anything for me as I was afraid of. Here is his reply:

Hello Eismc2a,
This kind of method has been ongoing for years, and customers prefer this way as it is a lot more efficient.
But due to lack of stock this 2 years, people like you do not want refund anymore.
You may contact the seller to see if they can give the repaired card back to you and cancel your oder.
Thank you.

He is confirming here that Asus does not repair but refund the cards, still he is telling people to RMA their card. Again not according to the European consumer law. I contacted my seller and they have not received my repaired card .....probably sold to someone else for a higher price.

Extremely disappointed with the level of support from ASUS on their products. I've been a loyal ASUS customer for many years without issues, but now struggling with my 3090 has made me reconsider them as a brand for future builds .

Eismc2a wrote:

Hello Eismc2a,
Thank you.

Very worrying. I have been asked to RMA and prepare my card for shipping but I am waiting on a guarantee that I will not be refunded first. Too afraid after hearing your story. I hope you get sorted in some way.

olearyd7 wrote:
Very worrying. I have been asked to RMA and prepare my card for shipping but I am waiting on a guarantee that I will not be refunded first. Too afraid after hearing your story. I hope you get sorted in some way.

I would not RMA your card as you will be refunded instead. Sadly Blake from Asus informed me that he cant help me and my seller has not received any stock in the past 2 months. I am still waiting for an replacement with no delivery date in sight......

Eismc2a wrote:
I would not RMA your card as you will be refunded instead. Sadly Blake from Asus informed me that he cant help me and my seller has not received any stock in the past 2 months. I am still waiting for an replacement with no delivery date in sight......

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about it but I have a stutter issue that Nvidia and myself believe to be an issue due to the card also so feel like I have no other choice. Blake has assured me that a refund is not possible due to my complicated case, so having this in writing is some assurance, just in case I have to go the legal route. Hearing your story is very worrying though...

olearyd7 wrote:
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about it but I have a stutter issue that Nvidia and myself believe to be an issue due to the card also so feel like I have no other choice. Blake has assured me that a refund is not possible due to my complicated case, so having this in writing is some assurance, just in case I have to go the legal route. Hearing your story is very worrying though...

I got the same confirmation from Blake but what did they do........refunded the card.

Eismc2a wrote:
I got the same confirmation from Blake but what did they do........refunded the card.

Damn....Thanks for letting me know. You've just changed my mind on RMA til stock gets better.

JronMasteR
Level 9
Also took mine apart. All the screws and from the cooler to the shroud were loose. I tightened them.

And the most impressive thing... my Hot Spot temperature was 105°C when the gpu temp was 72°C.
Now after repasting, the Hot Spot temp is down 10-15°C.

Never going to buy an ASUS GPU again