cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

curthard89 wrote:
I can highly recommend it, it runs cooler, not as noisy, i've not seen the GPU hit 70deg yet (same aggressive fan curve, runs around 70% fan at 67deg(ish). Comes with a sag holder upper too :-).

It has a lower power limit, 450w is the max it can go (with the slider maxed), but it still reaches higher clocks than the Strix as it's not getting dropped down due to thermals. Averaging around 2010mhz on the core.

Ended up requesting one, hopefully i won't have to deal with all these issues anymore.

Don't send your card in for RMA, you will not get your card back from Asus.....I have followed the advice of Blake and did that about a month ago now. Today I got the information that Asus can't repair my card and I can either get a refund or wait at the end of the line for a new one.....really great this....I am not sure what Asus is doing here or if they are trying to make extra profit off the inflated prices but this is not customer friendly at all.

Here is a video of my issue: https://youtu.be/Kpg6-co4JK4 . I am sure Asus is capable of swapping a fan.....

@Blake, could you comment on this. I am not happy at all.

Update: My seller agreed to place me first in line luckily. They also told me that 99% of the cards with this very same issue are refunded by Asus and not repaired.

Eismc2a wrote:
Don't send your card in for RMA, you will not get your card back from Asus.....I have followed the advice of Blake and did that about a month ago now. Today I got the information that Asus can't repair my card and I can either get a refund or wait at the end of the line for a new one.....really great this....I am not sure what Asus is doing here or if they are trying to make extra profit off the inflated prices but this is not customer friendly at all.

Here is a video of my issue: https://youtu.be/Kpg6-co4JK4 . I am sure Asus is capable of swapping a fan.....

@Blake, could you comment on this. I am not happy at all.

Update: My seller agreed to place me first in line luckily. They also told me that 99% of the cards with this very same issue are refunded by Asus and not repaired.

Did you send via retailer or direct to Asus?

Its probably not the fan but the same issue we all have, if you rest your finger on the shroud, does it go away?Â*

curthard89 wrote:
Did you send via retailer or direct to Asus?

Its probably not the fan but the same issue we all have, if you rest your finger on the shroud, does it go away?Â*

I did send it trough my retailer.

I tried pushing on the shroud but that didn't do anything for me. The sound was definitely coming from the left most fan at a certain rpm. Regardless of what the issue might be one would expect that Asus would have pinpointed the issue by now and have a solution.

Eismc2a wrote:
I did send it trough my retailer.

I tried pushing on the shroud but that didn't do anything for me. The sound was definitely coming from the left most fan at a certain rpm. Regardless of what the issue might be one would expect that Asus would have pinpointed the issue by now and have a solution.

I also having the same issue. Today i took the card out, give the fan a few good hard pull upwards and put back everything,

So far no rattling sound... finger cross....

Anyone want to give it a try to see whether this method solve it for you too ?

sookainian wrote:
I also having the same issue. Today i took the card out, give the fan a few good hard pull upwards and put back everything,

So far no rattling sound... finger cross....

Anyone want to give it a try to see whether this method solve it for you too ?

So did anyone tried my method ?

As so far it seems to solve for me... the rattling sound haven't come back until today

Fresh new card, same issue..

The center fan, at specific speed, do a rattling noise like the blades are touching something but it doesn't seem to be the case :s
Pressing on the shroud or another part of the card do noting. Only pressing the center part of the fan in the upper right direction stop the sound (pressing in the lower left direction increase the rattling noise) but I don't want to keep my hand in my PC case 😄

Anyway, as many of you, I don't want to RMA. Do you think it's possible to change only the fans (or at least one fan) on this card ?
I tried to find some fans with similar mount base but I find nothing.

And pushing, pulling, putting something befind the fan mount (as saw here on a previous page), etc did nothing for me.

sookainian wrote:
So did anyone tried my method ?
As so far it seems to solve for me... the rattling sound haven't come back until today

I have the same rattling issue with the center fan. I've tried to force stop it, pull it out & in. It seems it helps for a few moments. But the rattle sound returns. I think the finstack is too close to the fans / shroud.

MrHDR wrote:
Ended up requesting one, hopefully i won't have to deal with all these issues anymore.

Sweet! Hope you get one soon, i'm a week or so into owning this one now, absolutely zero issues what so ever. It just works, thing is built like a barn doorÂ*

JronMasteR
Level 9
I just bought a vertical GPU mount for my 3090 and all issues are gone. Also the system overall runs much cooler.
Definitely has to do with the sag of the GPU. I think the fan shroud is to close to the fins, then when the cards bends a bit, the rattle starts.
They need to modify their cooler to fix this issue long term. You could also, probably, just put some foam between the fan shroud and the heatsink.

For my O11 dynamic I bought the phanteks mount, works great.