cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

ASUS couldn't process my advance RMA for MONTHS because they lacked the inventory to do so.

I eventually sent my card to them for repair and all they did was just replace the card. It also took TWO WEEKS to replace the card and ship it back out. What happened to lack of inventory?

Good luck to everyone else on their RMA experience.

Done with ASUS.

Same problem with my strix, along with microstutter which is a whole other issue.

Contacted ASUS CS to explain my story before I found these threads and I was told that the noise in the video I sent was "mouse clicking or coil whine" and that I was imagining it basically!

Contacted them again after seeing this and they said I can RMA the card through the retailer Amazon.it because they do not deal directly (or at all in my opinion) with these issues. Contacted amazon, who told me that they are unable to do this and all they can do is refund because ASUS are a seperate company and that it makes no sense to send to Amazon, to then send to ASUS which I agree with....so who is having me on?

So as it stands both companies are telling me to sort it with the other. I have messaged Blake@ROG also and waiting on a reply since Sunday.

First time buying an ROG product and was excited to...it will certainly be my last. Completely left out in the cold with this and had opportunities to buy other cards but I wanted to go with top quality components. Back to Aorus next time

JronMasteR
Level 9
The quality of ASUS products is good, its just the customer support that is horrible. Look at this thread and the statements from them... basically nothing...
But this has been the case for many years.

JronMasteR wrote:
The quality of ASUS products is good, its just the customer support that is horrible. Look at this thread and the statements from them... basically nothing...
But this has been the case for many years.

I love the performance, the temps are good and the quality of the product is almost great. But to let something like this out of the factory and do nothing about it afterwards is a complete joke.

No matter how good the product is, if they continue like this why are people still supporting them. Would you buy another car from a dealership if something is broken from day one and they basically ignore you...Amazon is the size it is because they put the customer first. ASUS should take notes

olearyd7 wrote:
I love the performance, the temps are good and the quality of the product is almost great. But to let something like this out of the factory and do nothing about it afterwards is a complete joke.

No matter how good the product is, if they continue like this why are people still supporting them. Would you buy another car from a dealership if something is broken from day one and they basically ignore you...Amazon is the size it is because they put the customer first. ASUS should take notes

Completely agree with you. They should not replace the cards until they have a fix for this issue. A statement like "we are aware of this issue and will let you know once we have a fix, thank you for your patience".
Then, once they have a fix, they should let the customer choose to replace for example the heatsink themselves or sending the card in for a fix.

MrHDR
Level 7
My third 3090 Strix OC card just arrived (second replacement), this one is even worse, what the hell.

MrHDR wrote:
My third 3090 Strix OC card just arrived (second replacement), this one is even worse, what the hell.

Newer batches aren't any better so by the looks of it. At least they've replaced your card I guess...my only option is a refund by all accounts. I only hope I snag another brand card and will enjoy refunding it then

curthard89
Level 7
Im honestly so happy to get a MSI Suprim X 3090 as a replacement, no issues what so ever, its cooler, runs quieter and can finally play games without worrying about some buzzing that all eventually occur. It also gets higher clocks than the Strix OC at a much lower voltage (out of the box).

Its sad to hear the experiences people have the Strix cards, they look really nice but QC is just terrible, myself, getting 2 cards that are screwed, and that one from the other day where the shroud was hanging off.

And seeing MrHDR with 3 defective cards. It's just not good enough, only people that seem to get good cards are reviewers who get priority over us getting what we paid for.

I am seeing people with 3080's and 3070's also with the same issue, 3070's less due to not reaching those temps anyway due to the TDP so fans never ramp up that high.*

curthard89 wrote:
Im honestly so happy to get a MSI Suprim X 3090 as a replacement, no issues what so ever, its cooler, runs quieter and can finally play games without worrying about some buzzing that all eventually occur. It also gets higher clocks than the Strix OC at a much lower voltage (out of the box).

Its sad to hear the experiences people have the Strix cards, they look really nice but QC is just terrible, myself, getting 2 cards that are screwed, and that one from the other day where the shroud was hanging off.

And seeing MrHDR with 3 defective cards. It's just not good enough, only people that seem to get good cards are reviewers who get priority over us getting what we paid for.

I am seeing people with 3080's and 3070's also with the same issue, 3070's less due to not reaching those temps anyway due to the TDP so fans never ramp up that high.*

I'm just considering asking the retailer i got mine from for a Suprim X too, i've only had problems with these Strix 3090 since late last year, it's a real shame because i really like Strix products.

MrHDR wrote:
I'm just considering asking the retailer i got mine from for a Suprim X too, i've only had problems with these Strix 3090 since late last year, it's a real shame because i really like Strix products.

I can highly recommend it, it runs cooler, not as noisy, i've not seen the GPU hit 70deg yet (same aggressive fan curve, runs around 70% fan at 67deg(ish). Comes with a sag holder upper too :-).

It has a lower power limit, 450w is the max it can go (with the slider maxed), but it still reaches higher clocks than the Strix as it's not getting dropped down due to thermals. Averaging around 2010mhz on the core.