cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

curthard89
Level 7
Hey guys,

Story with tl;dr, sent card back almost around 16th of January to retailer who deal with RMA for Asus, they sent it back to Asus, Asus offered them a refund for it (for unknown reasons they could not fix the card or just sold it on again? — who knows), my retailer offered me a refund, or to be number 1 on list of new cards when they come in (i also was allowed to get a refund if I sourced a card in the meantime). So i waited on the list. Today I received email from my retailer saying new cards have come in and i'll be receiving it tomorrow. I'll report back if this card is fully functionality.

So terrible experience, 6 or so weeks without a GPU.
Cheers*

curthard89
Level 7
I got the replacement today, and its completely messed up out of the box.

This is completely unacceptable, all the screws for the shroud are lose and falling out into the bag and box.

They have not even been tightened at all, its serious issue right now. I don't know if to laugh or cry. *I am officially done with Asus, my retailer have allowed me to swap to another 3090 of another brand which has no issues.

For video and higher res pics, see: https://we.tl/t-j0MiLpUpyc

curthard89 wrote:
I got the replacement today, and its completely messed up out of the box.

This is completely unacceptable, all the screws for the shroud are lose and falling out into the bag and box.

They have not even been tightened at all, its serious issue right now and takes the utter piss. I don't know if to laugh or cry. *I am officially done with Asus, my retailer have allowed me to swap to another 3090 of another brand which has no issues.

Oh my god that's horrible. That is totally unacceptable.

Does this card have the same serial that you sent in? I'm guessing they just replaced the cooler and returned it.

gooper23 wrote:
Oh my god that's horrible. That is totally unacceptable.

Does this card have the same serial that you sent in? I'm guessing they just replaced the cooler and returned it.

I never got my original card back, Asus never received it, the middle man in the UK is probably doing something fishy and reselling them on, so they gave my retailer the refund for it, so my retailer sent me that brand new card instead when the next batch came in.

So that was a brand new card, from factory. Going straight back, luckily my retailer is awesome and the Asus account manager is looking into it and also offered me a an even better card as a direct swap as this is completely unacceptable.Â*

Im officially done with Asus GPU's, I use a few other products of theirs, but these Strix cards are just an utter shambles. Â*

curthard89 wrote:
I never got my original card back, Asus never received it, the middle man in the UK is probably doing something fishy and reselling them on, so they gave my retailer the refund for it, so my retailer sent me that brand new card instead when the next batch came in.

So that was a brand new card, from factory. Going straight back, luckily my retailer is awesome and the Asus account manager is looking into it and also offered me a an even better card as a direct swap as this is completely unacceptable.Â*

Im officially done with Asus GPU's, I use a few other products of theirs, but these Strix cards are just an utter shambles. Â*

Which model is considered an "even better card?" Hopefully they do you right and shower you with extras.

My RMA replacement arrived today. The replacement card looks great cosmetically. It looks new with plastic covering the shroud, lightbar, etc. I'll put it in my system to check out how it runs. So far I am happy.

Look how easy it was for this guy. We deseved this.

https://youtu.be/lSb_4RB2nbw

gooper23 wrote:
Which model is considered an "even better card?" Hopefully they do you right and shower you with extras.

They offered me a MSI Suprim X 3090, so far no issues what so ever, even runs about 8-10deg cooler under load in certain titles. Runs higher clocks because of it. 🙂

curthard89 wrote:
I got the replacement today, and its completely f****d out of the box.

They have not even been tightened at all, its serious issue right now and takes the utter piss. I don't know if to laugh or cry. *I am officially done with Asus, my retailer have allowed me to swap to another 3090 of another brand which has no issues.

What the heck is going on with ASUS? This is completely unacceptable! How can anyone ship a GPU in that condition?
Well, I will also never buy any ASUS product again

MrHDR
Level 7
i got my replacement from the retailer i bought it from, and my new card also has the same issue, it's just not as bad, i should be getting my second replacement next week, it's not really ideal considering the card costs over 2800 usd in Norway.