cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

I got a 3090 as well had it for over 3 weeks now. I believe it was a December 2020 manufacture date. I guess I'm lucky cause I have no fan noise. It's definitely got pretty serious coil whine though. I can test by ramping the fans up manually and none of them produce a whine or rattle just fan sounds.

The coil whine is pretty annoying though. Easily the loudest I've ever heard on a GPU and I've been into computers since the DOS era.

Botrin wrote:
Hello everyone, I have had an Asus Rog Strix 3090 OC for about a month, and I wanted to share my experience, three weeks after having it the fan closest to the video connections started making noise, the same thing happens to other users From this forum, I have contacted Asus Spain I told them my case and I am still waiting for them to tell me something; As I consider myself a knowledgeable user and given my situation, I examined the card carefully and noticed that the fan in some area was very close to the card housing, without actually touching, I disassembled the card, accessed the fans that are fixed with two screws and the fan that made noise by loosening the two screws I put it more in the center, take advantage of it and cleaned the thermal paste and reapplied it, I mounted the card and I have been more than a week without any noise. I share my experience because it solved the problem for me. A greeting.

Sorry i dont really understand... what you did to solve the issue ?

Is it because the screw holding the fan is loose and need to be tighten ?

curthard89
Level 7
Just an update on my RMA, my card been with Asus since the 19th/20th Jan 2021, still no news or nothing back yet.

curthard89 wrote:
Just an update on my RMA, my card been with Asus since the 19th/20th Jan 2021, still no news or nothing back yet.

Hi i am from Germany.
I send my 3080 Strix with this problem to Asus Czech Servce support and get it back in 5 days.
The changed the fan and the led cover.

Riplex wrote:
Hi i am from Germany.
I send my 3080 Strix with this problem to Asus Czech Servce support and get it back in 5 days.

Ah nice, i think because i'm UK, Brexit is causing grief with everything at the moment, so struggling to get stuff in and out.
If it reaches 30 days, my retailer will offer me a refund on it anyway, and might just get another card of Asus dont pull their finger out.*

yup, me too. Just purchased from a Microcenter in Ohio. Of course they don't have replacements and for some reason Im told by Asus on twitter that im not eligible for an advanced return. What? what makes me not eligible? I can give a credit card for you to hold funds, I purchased it with one. What's the problem?

Riplex wrote:
Hi i am from Germany.

Hi there! Im from Germany aswell. Could you explain your steps please? What should i do to be able to send my 3090 to Asus support? 🙂 I want to do the same and wont wait too long for a replacement.

curthard89
Level 7
Hi all, here is the RMA process so far (its not good for the UK)

My retailer has confirmed ASUS cannot sort my card out so will be offering me a refund, or a new card when they get the next batch, so basically ASUS for whatever reason will not fix my card.

So i'm at the front of the queue for a new one when they come in. Utterly terrible experience. Been without a card for almost 30 days now and only just got that news from ASUS from my retailer (retailer are very helpful)

After waiting months now for an advanced RMA unit, I finally gave up and just sent my unit in. Not only did I have to fight tooth and nail for them to agree to do an advanced RMA in the first place, I also had to fight for them to even provide a shipping label. Absolutely ridiculous that a $1800+ graphics card comes with such terrible support. I honestly should have just stuck with my EVGA card.

It has been 5 days since they received my card. I will document how the rest of the repair process goes.

I'm in the US for reference.

gooper23 wrote:
After waiting months now for an advanced RMA unit, I finally gave up and just sent my unit in. Not only did I have to fight tooth and nail for them to agree to do an advanced RMA in the first place, I also had to fight for them to even provide a shipping label. Absolutely ridiculous that a $1800+ graphics card comes with such terrible support. I honestly should have just stuck with my EVGA card.

It has been 5 days since they received my card. I will document how the rest of the repair process goes.

I'm in the US for reference.

Luckily i only have to deal with my superb retailer and not ASUS direct but I bid you good luck.

As you can see from my experience, not getting my card back, so card-less waiting retailer to send me new one from next batch, might just get an FE once they restock and get refund as this takes the p*ss.Â*