cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

morph. wrote:
Same here no light bar film to peel and yeah I had some swirls/scuffs on it straight out the box...

Mine had swirls on it too. What in the hell possessed asus to refrain from putting plastic on the light bar? Who makes these decisions?

XskullbangerX
Level 7
I'm in the USA and my Strix 3090 is doing the same thing. I've posted on various reddit threads as GallantGhost. I've contacted asus support and refused to RMA due to the stock issues and fearful I wouldn't get a repair or replacement for a long time, maybe even 2021.. I asked if a fan could be sent my way for me to replace it myself. The rep then escalated the case and said someone would get back to me. This was over a week ago. I'm also active on the ASUS DIY Facebook group and Juan even showed some interest at first and seemed concerned. When I asked him later for an update, his tone changed and then made me feel like a fool for avoiding RMA, almost questioning my honesty. An ASUS rep really needs to step up because there's a lot of $1800.00 Strix cards that are having issues. There's an apparent quality assurance issue and no one wants to admit it.

That sound, it sounds like a fan or cable is misaligned on the fans. But it is not fan related. I touched the fans and this sound seems to just be a massive persistent pulsing sound (coil whine?). Asus should be aware that all eyes are on them because it is present on the TUF as well. A user posted a youtube where this sound was clearly heard on his TUF card.

Its not coil whine. What we have happens when the card is idling with nothing running and you simply turn up the fan speed manually. Â*

Can you post a link to the video youre talking about?

Having exact same issue 3080 strix . What is the solution or status with asus?

ASUS says I can mail in my 3070 (per Blake on 1/12) for exchange or bring it back to my place of purchase (Amazon) for exchange (hahahaha).
My solution was to get a vertical GPU mount kit that's braced along the bottom (EKWB). I think the vibration is caused because the card is so heavy and the part furthest from the back of the PC is flexing enough that the fan is hitting something or the bearings on the fan are out of balance or something along those lines. Once the card is braced the issue went away.

Arggh, my picture keeps coming up rotated. Tilt your head to the left 🙂

several hours later, total silence mining ETH @ 62MH/s with the vertical bracket. 58C temp @ 59% fan. I wish the fans were RGB though! 😄

rawbar wrote:
several hours later, total silence mining ETH @ 62MH/s with the vertical bracket. 58C temp @ 59% fan. I wish the fans were RGB though! 😄

Shhhh, don't say that out loud

I hope that was sarcasm, RGB's are hideous, RGB's are for Kids, no offence to anyone but they look so gimmicky, they ruin the appearance.

Megascrypt wrote:
Shhhh, don't say that out loud

I hope that was sarcasm, RGB's are hideous, RGB's are for Kids, no offence to anyone but they look so gimmicky, they ruin the appearance.

Everyone has different tastes. I grew up with beige boxes for PCs, I'm a 53 YO that enjoys lights and color.

Blake1
Level 10
Dear all,
This issue has been reported.
If there is any progress, I will keep you updated.
Thank you.