cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph_
Level 11
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:
"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."
205 REPLIES 205

Blake@ROG wrote:
Dear all,
This issue has been reported.
If there is any progress, I will keep you updated.
Thank you.

Thanks, Blake if in fact, you guys do confirm its an issue what would happen?

Honestly, an RMA back and forth would take my computer offline too long as I use it daily for work...

Same issue with my Strix 3080 OC, vibration rattle occurs around 60-70% fan speed. LED bar came with no plastic, and pretty scuffed up.

I have found a remedy for the issue which is a GPU Support Bracket on the back of my case to properly support the weight more evenly. Since I have installed this the issue is no longer there. It seems like the issue with these cards occurs because the weight of the card (without a GPU support bracket) is physically warping some plastic to cause this issue, or something on the fan shroud is not tightened adequately (I have heard one case of a user removing the fan shroud and re-attaching which resulted in the issue to go away, however I do not recommend you try this unless you know what you are doing, and this has still not been confirmed as the issue yet). However, this is unacceptable and should not be Asus' final remedy.

For the most expensive AIB available within the RTX 30 series range, my expectations were higher that there would not be such mass QA issues with these cards, especially for the price they are demanding. It's such a punch in the gut to buy a brand new product like this, then be told you have to send it out for an RMA, and then wait for a replacement / fix, it's pretty unacceptable for such a premium product. It's crazy that out of the about 8-10 or so Strix 3080 / 3090 owners I spoke with, they are all saying that they have also experienced these issue(s).

At this point this is pretty much a confirmed widespread issue affecting all, or a large percentage of Strix 3080 / 3090 owners. I think its fair that Asus either properly recalls these cards, or offers express replacements for their affected customers.

saintgothits wrote:
Same issue with my Strix 3080 OC, vibration rattle occurs around 60-70% fan speed. LED bar came with no plastic, and pretty scuffed up.

I have found a remedy for the issue which is a GPU Support Bracket on the back of my case to properly support the weight more evenly. Since I have installed this the issue is no longer there. It seems like the issue with these cards occurs because the weight of the card (without a GPU support bracket) is physically warping some plastic to cause this issue, or something on the fan shroud is not tightened adequately (I have heard one case of a user removing the fan shroud and re-attaching which resulted in the issue to go away, however I do not recommend you try this unless you know what you are doing, and this has still not been.

Mines vertically mounted and I can confirm the vertical bracket fully holds the card comfortably as it has an anti-sag contraption.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Dear all,
This issue has been reported.
If there is any progress, I will keep you updated.
Thank you.

Should we submit an RMA request if we have this issue? Or wait until more information is available?

Thanks,

Chris

drkCrix
Level 8
Also having this issue with my 3080 Strix, seems to be the middle fan at around 1650-1700rpm, higher or lower and the rattle isn't there. I have set a custom fan curve on the middle fan for now until Asus provides us with a fix for the issues

drkCrix wrote:
Also having this issue with my 3080 Strix, seems to be the middle fan at around 1650-1700rpm, higher or lower and the rattle isn't there. I have set a custom fan curve on the middle fan for now until Asus provides us with a fix for the issues

Their fix was to RMA a brand new card and wait for it to be repaired with no ETA, they also told me that I was the only one with this issue, which is completely untrue. I mean c'mon Asus, this is clearly a mass manufacturing / design / QA issue. Pretty disappointing customer service.

Wobbler
Level 7
Not sure if I have this issue also, but my oc 3090 right side (?) fan makes more annoying higher pitch noise that wobbles (uaaa-uaaa-uaa) and gets louder as the fan is set to spins faster (75+ clearly noticable). Center fan just makes normal fan noises 0-100. Was thinking if it could be a bit offbalance, looking at the stickers on the fans not being quite in the center. Anyway did test inside the computer case and outside on a pcie extender cable, to clear any other possible things making the noise. At this rate if the fan motor is bad it will fail soon enough. Need to inquire from where I bought it for a good time to return/RMA for replacement. Got plastic wrap on the side and backpanel, card package was in sealed brown box from asus.

OH and at 97% and above fan speed for the 2 fans there appears some annoying rattling sound. No help from pushing the panel with led lights. Closer inspection on the suspect fan, it looks like it might be pulsing *a bit between faster and slower spinning speed, that could explain the wobbling of the sound. Meanwhile games that dont heat up the card enough for the fans to speed up to 70%.

drkCrix
Level 8
@"Blake@ROG" Should we be submitting an RMA request if we have this issue or wait?

Thanks,

Chris

Wobbler
Level 7
Hmmm now the middle fan has started to whine, *so 2 of 3 fans are whining, the first whiner perhaps has a little more lower pitch with slight varation to the sound. I hope these arent just some crappy fans with super noisy bearings. But on the other hand the rattling seems to have vanished *a bit strange.. must resist temptation of taking this a part and test the fans deattached..

JustinN
Level 8
Received my ROG STRIX 3090 OC today and have the same problem.. middle fan rattling very loud between 65 and 75% of fan speed. Same thing happens with the left and right fans above 80% fan speed. This is clearly a manufacturing defect if so many people experience this. Outragous for a GPU with a pricetag like this.