cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX B550-I Gaming randomly dropping PCIe 4.0 NVMe disk on wakeup?

fatalhalt
Level 9

My ROG STRIX B550-I Gaming ITX motherboard randomly drops primary NVMe disk on wakeup from overnight sleep, resulting in blank screen and reboot (not to mention ruining my workflow), upon entering BIOS after such crash I can see that my primary PCIe 4.0 1TB NVMe disk is gone, I have to power cycle the PC to get it back to be able to boot back into Win10. Quick sleep/wakeup appears to be working, just not if I leave PC overnight.

My setup is:
- B550-I on 1202 (10/21/2020) BIOS
- Ryzen 7 5800X
- G.SKILL F4-3200C14-16GTRS
- Inland Performance 1TB PCIe NVMe 4.0 (my C:\ disk, where Windows is installed)
- Inland Performance 2TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 (on the back of motherboard, my D:\ disk, no issues with this one, it is always present on wakeup)
- latest Windows 10 20H2 2009 19042.630, latest AMD drivers
16 REPLIES 16

fatalhalt
Level 9
Switching to Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe ZP1000GM30002 which is on the QVL list solved my wake issue! My system survived 7 hour sleep and then again 20 hour sleep.

Daylight_Invade
Level 8
fatalhalt wrote:

My ROG STRIX B550-I Gaming ITX motherboard randomly drops primary NVMe disk on wakeup from overnight sleep, resulting in blank screen and reboot (not to mention ruining my workflow), upon entering BIOS after such crash I can see that my primary PCIe 4.0 1TB NVMe disk is gone, I have to power cycle the PC to get it back to be able to boot back into Win10. Quick sleep/wakeup appears to be working, just not if I leave PC overnight.

My setup is:
- B550-I on 1202 (10/21/2020) BIOS
- Ryzen 7 5800X
- G.SKILL F4-3200C14-16GTRS
- Inland Performance 1TB PCIe NVMe 4.0 (my C:\ disk, where Windows is installed)
- Inland Performance 2TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 (on the back of motherboard, my D:\ disk, no issues with this one, it is always present on wakeup)
- latest Windows 10 20H2 2009 19042.630, latest AMD drivers

I strongly suspect this is due to the numerous issues out there with 5000 series processors and the current BIOS versions out there. Personally I am experiencing both cache hierarchy errors plus disk errors. Interestingly the disk errors result in ID 7 bad blocks showing in the windows log, however a chkdsk and sfc scan yields no issues on my gen 4 NVME drive. SMART data also suggests there are no bad blocks.

Reading all the other forums out there, I suspect the current BIOS are not feeding the correct voltages to various components, especially RAM and PCIE channels supporting the NVME drives. The short story is that it is a bit of a mess out there right now with the current BIOS. Even some 3000 series customers are experiencing issues, although its predominately the 5000 series processors having a wobble from all of this.

I have no stability issues nor any PCIe Gen 4.0 or USB problems, I'm running the B-die 32GB G.SKILL F4-3200C14-16GTRS kit at 3733MHz 14-14-14-34-50 1T and decent subtimings at 1.44v 1:1 and IF at 1866MHz since day 2 after I overclocked the memory the day after Nov 5 I got the CPU by waiting in line at microcenter store.. No errors in Windows Event Log either, besides some DCOM warnings but it's related to WIn10 20H2. I actually started to enjoy the Strix B550-I after I sorted out the Realtek & SonicStudio III software issues and resolved my NVMe wakeup problem (along with the workaround for Intel I-225 NIC packet drop problem).

IF 1900 started giving me some stability issues, I know for sure these B-dies can keep up. I don't need more OC, I'm happy with stability and don't want to mess around anymore, ignorance is bliss. Apple will probably obliterate AMD Ryzen CPU soon the same way AMD wiped out Intel (but they deserved every bit of it)

Sylvaind
Level 7
Hi, looks like I'm having a similar issue.
I upgraded from a R7 2700x to a 5800x and I am now having the same wakeup issue as well.
It happens when I manually trigger hibernate mode, on wakeup, it reboots and goes to BIOS (no OS detected), I can't see my Corsair MP510 nvme disk in the nvme configuration tab.

Turning off PSU for a few secs and rebooting fixes it.
I have a B550-E Gaming and tried both 1202 and 1401 BIOS versions.

Can you try newest 1401 BIOS? Curious if that fixes anything.

fatalhalt wrote:
Can you try newest 1401 BIOS? Curious if that fixes anything.

I did, I actually thought the bug came from 1401 so I reverted back to 1202 but issue kept occurring.
I am now again on 1401.

I can confirm that this is an ongoing problem even with the 1602 Beta BIOS. My system runs rock solid but fails to resume from sleep. I have a crucial P5 NVME m2 drive. Asus requested me to RMA the board, though I think this is actually a board firmware issue.

balalogic wrote:
I can confirm that this is an ongoing problem even with the 1602 Beta BIOS. My system runs rock solid but fails to resume from sleep. I have a crucial P5 NVME m2 drive. Asus requested me to RMA the board, though I think this is actually a board firmware issue.

Agree this is a BIOS issue. I've also had strange sleep/wake issues across various BIOS versions. Some versions are a lot worse than others. I doubt it is hardware related.

Whilst I have the I-Gaming board, we share the same chipset etc. If you also look on the other motherboard manufactures websites, users there complain about the same issues we are having here. I think this all comes down to the AGESA version.

For me I have just tried the 1.2.0.0 version of the AGESA BIOS just out now and generally it seems stable, although everything seems to run hotter. Weirdly running some stress tools causes the system to run cooler. It's almost as if there is an idle related issue.

FWIW, I had the disk drop yesterday when a windows update was being deployed. Lots of bad block errors, but SMART reports none. After allowing all the updates to install, as well as the optional ones, and also putting on the 1.2.0.0 AGESA, I have not seen my NVME drive drop.

FWIW, I had a lot more issues about a month ago. In my case the SN850 I am running had a firmware update which solved a lot of these errors, but the sleep/wake issues still had the potential to cause problems. With that in mind, it might be worth checking whether there are any firmware updates for your NVME drive.