cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Startup issues BIOS 3904 & 4004 ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WI-FI

YT_HK
Level 7
Reinstalling BIOS 3801 seems to have fixed the problem. I restarted, shut down & started up several times now without a problem. Conclusion: BIOS 3904 and 4004 are not perfectly compatible with my system. Feels bad man.

Old post:

Hello everyone!

My problem:
I updated the BIOS from 3801 to 3904 two days ago. Since then, my PC (who ran perfectly fine for months now) does not boot anymore or I have only a black screen. The mainboard shows the Q-code 22 (63 after restarting). The PC does not work properly again until I reset CMOS. That is, I get back into the BIOS and Windows OS. My PC works perfectly fine, even under load. But if I restart the PC or shut it down and start it up again, the game starts all over again. Q-code 22 and the need to reset CMOS.

BIOS flashback doesn't work at all.

Edit: I just noticed that my Corsair RGB keyboard was glowing even though the power supply switch was in the "off" position and the PC was turned off. The keyboard only lights up when the PC is on. Very strange.

Edit: After restarting I get Q-code 63 now. I did not change a single thing.
*What I tried so far
I tried to reinstall the older BIOS version 3801 using the flashback function and a FAT32 formatted MBR USB-Stick (8GB). I downlaoded the correct BIOS version, unpacked, renamed, copied the renamed BIOS file onto the USB stick. Turned PC off while still letting the PSU deliver power. Put in the USB stick into the designated USB port on the mainboard. Hold the BIOS button until it started flashing. It flashed maybe 3-4 times over a period of a few seconds and went to a solid blue light. So no luck here.

Checked all the cables, reseated hardware components, tried 1/2/3/4 RAM channels - didn't help.

Installed newest BIOS 4004 - did not help. Got Q-Code 22 after restarting. Now I get Q-code 01 after normal shutdown+start up. Resetted CMOS and I can enter BIOS. F1 -> EzMode -> Default (F5) -> Load Optimized Defaults -> OK Save&Exit (F10) -> System restarts just fine -> restart -> Q-code 22 -> black screen -> forcing shutdown -> starting up -> boots up normally -> shutting down -> start up -> Q-code 01 -> forced shutdown. Although my PC is turned off, the RGB LEDs on my keyboard continue to glow.

I was able to install older BIOS version 3801 via the designated flashback port on the mainboard using the FAT32 MBR USB stick. What did I do differently? I downloaded, unzipped and renamed the file onto my USB stick, cleared CMOS and pushed the BIOS button. And it worked. I dunno why this made such a difference, esp. since the CMOS was resetted anyways. After starting up the system, a message popped up: BIOS is updatign Led firmware. Dunno what that means.

*I'm out of ideas. Bricked MoBo? Bricked BIOS chip? Faulty BIOS which I somehow cannot downgrade? I dunno.

My PC specs:
I'm at work right now, so I will deliver details later this day. But so far:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WI-FI BIOS 3904
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - needs chipset driver update (after BIOS is fixed)
Noctua NH D15
ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3090 with newest drivers
4x G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 CL16 (GVKC) (4x16GB)
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
2x Samsung 980 Pro M.2
1x WD Blue 6TB
Windows 10 Professional 64Bit newest update

Thanks in advance, I'll answer questions ASAP.

Kind regards
5 REPLIES 5

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi YT_HK,
If you still keep the bios all default settings after reset cmos, do you also get Q-code 22 after restart it or shutdown and start it up again?
Please try the latest bios version 4004.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi YT_HK,
If you still keep the bios all default settings after reset cmos, do you also get Q-code 22 after restart it or shutdown and start it up again?
Please try the latest bios version 4004.
Thank you.

Good morning STARRAIN@ROG,

thank you for your response.

Edit: After restart I get q-code 63. I get Q-Code 22 after CMOS reset and Q-code 63 after CMOS reset+restart. After forced shutdown + startup the system Boots in safe mode.

Edit2: Installed BIOS 4004 - didn’t help. Got Q-Code 22 after restarting. Now I get Q-code 01 after normal shutdown+start up. Resetted CMOS and I can enter BIOS. F1 -> EzMode -> Default (F5) -> Load Optimized Defaults -> OK Save&Exit (F10) -> System restarts just fine -> restart -> Q-code 22 -> black screen -> forcing shutdown -> starting up -> boots up normally -> shutting down -> start up -> Q-code 01 -> forced shutdown.

Guys, I need help here because I‘m working from home with my PC.

Edit: The mainboard powers my keyboard with electricity even though the system isnt running.

Edit: I was able to install older BIOS version 3801 via the designated flashback port on the mainboard using the FAT32 MBR USB stick. What did I do differently? I downloaded, unzipped and renamed the file onto my USB stick, cleared CMOS and pushed the BIOS button. And it worked. I dunno why this made such a difference, esp. since the CMOS was resetted anyways. After starting up the system, a message popped up: BIOS is updatign Led firmware. Dunno what that means.

Reinstalling BIOS 3801 seems to have fixed the problem. I restarted, shut down & started up several times now without a problem. Conclusion: BIOS 3904 and 4004 are not perfectly compatible with my system. Feels bad man.

** * ** ***Kind regards

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi YT_HK,
Thank you for your reply.
I'm afraid I don't received the same issue from other customer. Maybe it is some components related.
I'll keep monitor if there is the same case.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi YT_HK,
Thank you for your reply.
I'm afraid I don't received the same issue from other customer. Maybe it is some components related.
I'll keep monitor if there is the same case.
Thank you.

Hello there,

a BIOS downgrade fixed the issues.

Kind regardsÂ*

YT_HK wrote:
Hello there,

a BIOS downgrade fixed the issues.

Kind regardsÂ*

Bios Downgrade to 2502 fixed for me!