cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SPD Write Protection = FALSE] and my Z690 Extreme hangs on boot.

sblantipodi
Level 9
Hi all.

I'm using a Z690 Extreme mobo with 4 sticks of 6200MHz SK Hinyx downclocked at 5.2GHz for stability reasons.
Using corsair iCue to drive the RGB on my RAM sticks.

I can stress test my PC with every possible software for days and there is no errors and no crash but if disable the SPD Write Protection in BIOS to let iCue control my RGB LEDs on the RAM sticks I have a problem.

With SPD Write Protection disabled, from time to time, RGB on my RAM sticks stops working, when they stops working the PC continue to work ok,
but if I reboot when the RGB are freezed, the PC hangs on boot in the initial stage of the POST process.

The OLED shows the "Detecting memory" msg and the two digit displays shows 00.

Is there someone working on this issue in Asus?
51 REPLIES 51

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
If you still have the issue on bios 1505, please send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination and please share me the RMA number via pm.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
If you still have the issue on bios 1505, please send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination and please share me the RMA number via pm.
Thank you.

can I swap the motherboard with my reseller or should I send you the motherboard for examination?
can you send me the new motherboard and then I send you the old one?

I would not like to remain without the computer...

I can pay for the new mothernoard and you refund when the old one arrives in asus,
this is what reputable brands does sometimes...

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
I've sent you a pm. Please help to check it.
Thank you.

if Asus has nothing to hide no need to talk via PVT.

this is the PVT.

Hi sblantipodi,
Sorry we cannot send a motherboard to you first during RMA procedure.
If you are in Europe, our RMA is B2B service, so you have to send RMA via reseller. Please consult the reseller to see if they can swap you a motherboard first and send your motherboard to our RMA.
Also, although we refund the motherboard after RMA, it is to reseller, so not sure if the reseller will refund or swap you a motherboard.
Please inform me and share me the RMA number after send RMA via reseller.
Thank you.

I contacted the Official Italian Reseller Drako.it and asked him for an express RMA just to not have downtime.
Asus in europe is known to have the worst possible RMA service ever, I don't want to wait 2 months for a standard RMA with the possibility of having my motherboard back for a reason like: "we are not able to reproduce the problem".

I proposed to the official Asus Italian reseller Drako.it to pay for a new mobo, give them the old one in order to not have downtime on my PC for months and get back the money once asus will approve the RMA.

They asked me to pay 100 euros more than what I paid initially because now the mobo costs more (1200 euros , I paid it 1100 euros ),
then they will give me the new paid motherboard and send you back the defective one (we don't know if we are talking about a design flaw or of a defective mobo).
if asus accept the RMA, they will return me 1100 euros of the 1200 euros paid, if asus doesn't accept the RMA I will not have my money back and I'll have 2 motherboards in my hands.

This is the RMA from Drako.it

I don't want to pay 1200 euros for a mobo that I paid 1100 euros initially with the risk that I will have two motherboards because Asus simply refuses to approve the RMA.

You know that Asus Customer service in Europe simply doesn't work, I don't want to risk other money for this, I have lost enough time and money on this.

Is there a better alternative you can offer?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
Although I cannot make sure if the issue is reproducible when your motherboard arrived in our RMA center, if you can share me our RMA number first, I can inform our RMA center to look after your case.
15418321243 is not our RMA number, so I cannot check it in our system. If you cannot get our RMA number from the reseller, please inform me when the reseller sent your motherboard to our RMA.
Thank you.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
Have you sent the motherboard to our RMA?
If yes, please share me our RMA number via PM.
If the motherboard is at your hand, please set LED lighting to stealth mode in bios settings and then check if the issue occurs again.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
Have you sent the motherboard to our RMA?
If yes, please share me our RMA number via PM.
If the motherboard is at your hand, please set LED lighting to stealth mode in bios settings and then check if the issue occurs again.
Thank you.

I appreciate this post, I appreciate that you haven't forgot about the problem.

No, I haven't sent the mobo to Asus RMA because Asus RMA is way too complicated in Europe.

The RMA service in Europe requires two months, the official Asus reseller "drako.it" is creating me problems to let me do an Express RMA
and I can't afford to remain without my PC for two months.
I had the bad idea to make this PC became my main rig and now I can't have a two months downtime.

I'm trying what you suggested, now the RGB LEDs on my mobo is off, let's see if it workaround the problem. I'll report back if it works.
As I said I'm an Asus customer since 2001 with the mighty CUSL2, I really hope to continue to be an Asus customer in the next years.

Thanks
Davide

Same issue. It didn't worked.

RAM RGB freezed, I rebooted Windows 11, and then it freezed. Here a video that shows the issue.

https://youtu.be/lsVmCSDwlZQ

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
Unfortunately, it seems RMA the motherboard is inevitable.
Please send your motherboard to our RMA through retailer, and share me our RMA number via PM.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
Unfortunately, it seems RMA the motherboard is inevitable.
Please send your motherboard to our RMA through retailer, and share me our RMA number via PM.
Thank you.

I'm going to pay another 1200 euros for a new motherboard to my retailer,
he will give me my money back if you approve the RMA and you send him a new mobo.

can you guarantee me that the RMA will be approved and that you will send him a new mobo?