cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SPD Write Protection = FALSE] and my Z690 Extreme hangs on boot.

sblantipodi
Level 9
Hi all.

I'm using a Z690 Extreme mobo with 4 sticks of 6200MHz SK Hinyx downclocked at 5.2GHz for stability reasons.
Using corsair iCue to drive the RGB on my RAM sticks.

I can stress test my PC with every possible software for days and there is no errors and no crash but if disable the SPD Write Protection in BIOS to let iCue control my RGB LEDs on the RAM sticks I have a problem.

With SPD Write Protection disabled, from time to time, RGB on my RAM sticks stops working, when they stops working the PC continue to work ok,
but if I reboot when the RGB are freezed, the PC hangs on boot in the initial stage of the POST process.

The OLED shows the "Detecting memory" msg and the two digit displays shows 00.

Is there someone working on this issue in Asus?
51 REPLIES 51

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
May I double confirm when RGB on my RAM sticks stops working, it means no RGB light or stuck at the specific color?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, graphics card, OS SSD, and PSU
- photos the RAM information like this
- the iCue version, a screenshot of the settings in iCue
- a video about the issue(the RGB are freezed, the PC hangs on boot in the initial stage of the POST process. The OLED shows the "Detecting memory" msg and the two digit displays shows 00)
- OS version and OS build such as win11 21H2 22000.469
Thank you so much.

- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
OK sent via PVT.

- the brand and the model name of your CPU, graphics card, OS SSD, and PSU
Intel i9 12900K, Nvidia RTX2080Ti Founders Edition, Samsung 980 PRO 2TB SSD, Corsair HX1200i PSU 1200W

- photos the RAM information like this
here it is

Please note that I spent more than 3000 euros in RAM trying to get the correct sticks.

I tried 4 sticks of Corsair Dominator 5200MHz C40 with Micron chips,
I tried 4 sticks of Corsair Dominator 5600MHz C36 with Samsung chips,
I tried 4 sticks of Corsair Dominator 6200MHz C36 with SK Hynix chips (the one in photos).
I'm trying 4 sticks of Corsair Dominator 4400MHz C36 with Micron chips, (this one is certified to work with 4 sticks).

I tried all the sticks with XMP and at default settings at 4000MHz C40 as per JEDEC specs but the problem still...

- the iCue version, a screenshot of the settings in iCue

icue version 4.23.137

this is icue when it works.

this is icue when the problem happen and RGB on the RAM freezes, when this happen, if I reboot the PC it hangs on detecting memory:

- a video about the issue(the RGB are freezed, the PC hangs on boot in the initial stage of the POST process. The OLED shows the "Detecting memory" msg and the two digit displays shows 00)

I was wrong the error code shown when the issue happen is 01 and not 00.
here the video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/hjltmaDCPzU?feature=share

- OS version and OS build such as win11 21H2 22000.469

Windows 11 version 21H2 (build SO 22000.675)
with all the latest update with a fresh new install. I tried reinstalling and updating all the drivers with a clean install but the issue remains.

I have spent a lot of money trying various sticks with various chips (Samsung, Micron, Hinyx), I even tried buying another motherboard.
All the same components on the Asus Hero Z690 works well, on my Extreme does not work.

Can you help me please? I spent all that money, all that trying trying to figure out the problem, tried beta bioses from Shamino, and now after 5 months,
I still can't use my PC for my job since it's "unreliable".

if some of the informations I posted are not clear or you need other info just ask and I'll try to answer asap.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
Thank you for your information.
I'll consult our tech team more about this.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
Thank you for your information.
I'll consult our tech team more about this.

Thank you very much for letting me know and for trying to help.
I appreciate it. Thanks.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
I'm afraid our tech team need the Corsair RAM version such as CMT32GX5M2X6200C36(Ver 5.43.13). Please take a picture of your RAM like this.
For Corsair CMT32GX5M2X6200C36, it is 2 sticks in a set, and you install 4 sticks. Please try only one set(2 sticks) in A2 and B2 to see if the issue still occurs.
For Z690 Hero, did you only change the motherboard and disable SPD Write Protection in bios with the same OS? or did you reinstall OS? or change to another SSD?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
I'm afraid our tech team need the Corsair RAM version such as CMT32GX5M2X6200C36(Ver 5.43.13). Please take a picture of your RAM like this.
For Corsair CMT32GX5M2X6200C36, it is 2 sticks in a set, and you install 4 sticks. Please try only one set(2 sticks) in A2 and B2 to see if the issue still occurs.
For Z690 Hero, did you only change the motherboard and disable SPD Write Protection in bios with the same OS? or did you reinstall OS? or change to another SSD?
Thank you.

Hi,
if you zoom the photo I posted you can clearly see that I'm using CMT32GX5M2X6200C36(Ver 5.43.13).

As I said with two sticks the problem does not happen but I bought a 1200€ mobo with 4 slots because I need a lot of RAM and I need 4 slots for the RAM since I'm considering buying 128GB when available.

As I already said I tried 4 different kind of kits all in your QVL list, one of this kit is certified to work with 4 sticks at 4.4GHz but it still not work.

I have random hanging of the RGB on the RAM and then it hangs on re-boot when the RGB stops working.

Thank you.

Correct, I used another SSD with a fresh install of Windows 11.

I know that Asus released these boards without good testing and now you abandoned them because you are looking into Z790 but I want a refund or a working mobo.
Can you help me with this or I have spent all this money to have a PC that simply "doesn't work reliably".

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
May I also have specific ram model name, version and picture of Corsair Dominator 4400MHz C36 with Micron chips(the ram you mentioned is certified to work with 4 sticks)?
Have you also tried the SSD which is no issue on Z690 Hero on Z690 Extreme to reinstall win11 but the issue still occurred?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
May I also have specific ram model name, version and picture of Corsair Dominator 4400MHz C36 with Micron chips(the ram you mentioned is certified to work with 4 sticks)?
Have you also tried the SSD which is no issue on Z690 Hero on Z690 Extreme to reinstall win11 but the issue still occurred?
Thank you.

I have written dominator but the 4x16GB kit was Vengeance, not dominator, I correct my self.
I was using this kit:
CMK64GX5M4A4400C36

but I already returned it since micron and samsung are the worst chips on my mobo, I have a lot more problems with samsung and micron over hynix.

I finally sold the Samsung kit also (I lost a lot of money with this trials), but this is a photo of my PC running the Samsung kit.

In any case, all kits have the same issue descibed in this thread, other kits have even more issues...

PS: The SSD is not the problem, they are both Samsung 980PRO 2TB and I swapped the SSDs between the two mobos with fresh Windows install in this months.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
Thank you for your reply.
I'll share this information to our tech team to check it again.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
Thank you for your reply.
I'll share this information to our tech team to check it again.
Thank you.

I am continuing to test but I'm sure that SPD Write Protection to FALSE and Corsair iCue is the culprit of this problem.
I have uninstalled iCue and never had the problem since then.

With icue it happen "always", two times in a full day at least, without iCue it seems that it never happen, testing from three days now without icue and never happened.

Reporting if it happen in the future without icue.

This isn't a fix, it's a workaround but without icue I can't manage all my Corsair peripherals.

I opened a ticket with Corsair and they said me that the problem is on the Asus side and that someone in asus is working on this, I hope that it's true.

I'm complaining about this problem since 6 months but nothing fixed yet.